• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

moving magnet vs moving coil phono cartridges

OP has nice system sufficient to suggest honest question versus unwelcome trolling. To achieve improvement over V15 fitted with superlative SAS stylus require substantial expenditure. If interested to make this step suggest to consider Koetsu or Kiseki.



17D3 magic stems from diamond cantilever versus boron. Prior to that they use ruby. Also for V15 SAS/R (ruby) deliver satisfying result.
Thanks for the correction! I think my 17D3 must have a Ruby cantilever.
 
But can you really hear a difference between these two types of cartridges?
Yes.

I have a MM cartridge (Shure V15 type 4) which has outstanding sound. I was under the impression that needle configuration and construction is the most important part of a cartridge.
Moving mass is always an important part for transducers as well. Imagine the magnet structure of your speaker drivers as part of the moving mass.

I've used many Shure cartridges in the past. Most recently a M97. Not even close to either MC I have in terms of overall transparency.

I am debating whether it is worth it to buy an MC cart. and not hear an improved difference let alone a distorted one.
One challenge is their lower output. An equally important consideration is your phono preamp. The "goldilocks" solution I've used with different carts and preamps is using a mid output MC with a two stage preamp having higher than usual gain. That obviates the need for a separate head amp or step up transformer.

By looking at the manual to the KCT, it appears to be a line stage only. What do you use for phono?
 
Reading threads in this forum on the differences between MM and MC cartridges, most feel MC cartridges produce a better high end. But can you really hear a difference between these two types of cartridges? And this difference may be an artifact of the design differences between MC and MM. MC, I read, distorts the sound in ways people find appealing. That's not accurate reproduction even if it sounds good.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/shure-v15-iv-phono-cartridge

I have a MM cartridge (Shure V15 type 4) which has outstanding sound. I was under the impression that needle configuration and construction is the most important part of a cartridge.

I am debating whether it is worth it to buy an MC cart. and not hear an improved difference let alone a distorted one.

I am eager to read from people responding to this thread who have experience with both types of cartridges and have developed a preference.

And much depends on what stylus your using. Didn't that cartridge mostly come supplied with an elliptical profile stylus. You could look around and see if you can't find a more advanced shaped stylus.

If, your trying to find a reason to justify that your cart is as good as most MC carts because you just don't want to spend the extra money that many MC carts cost perhaps a simple upgrade in stylus profile might make you feel more comfortable with getting a different sound and not spending the extra money.

If your happy with the way your cart sounds as is, I wouldn't worry about the differences, save your money and just spend more time spinning records.
 
All goes hand in hand, the improvement of every aspect of the chain does take you to a higher level.
For example, let's say you want to only climb the MM or MI (Moving Iron) ladder.
Sure, you could easily spend $1000 for such. And they might be very outstanding Cartridges within their own right, not saying otherwise.

Pair it with a 1974 $75 Garrard Plastic Table, and/or running out to $250 Sansui 350a receiver's built in phono stage, which the phono stage likely cost about $5-$10 to manufacture, well, you get the picture. There has to be a relative relation between such components, and such usually spells $$$. With the combo I mention above, commonly back in the day, you'd be looking to use-need about a $40-$85 Cartridge tops. Back then, to spend $250 for the cartridge on this particular combo would've been crazy.

I think the silk hat on a pig applies in this particular instance. Not to say that the sound would be worse with the better cartridge, but you might not have extracted the performance of the better cartridge to hear much, if any sonic benefit

Dipping one's toes into MC-Land can cost some serious coin.
 
Last edited:
I think you're just going to have to take the leap to find out for yourself. Choose something that is popular here, but probably not too expensive. You might also contemplate whether your arm is a good match for whatever MC you choose or whether it's suited for any of them.
 
I have 3 cartridges. Ortofon 2M Black, SoundSmith Aida, and Grado Sonata 1. All work with ny MM phono stage in my preamp. Would I like to try MC? Sure, but to do it I have the cost of a cartridge and then the cost of a quality MC step up transformer of some type. In my case, just not worth the expense with what I currently have.
 
I have 3 cartridges. Ortofon 2M Black, SoundSmith Aida, and Grado Sonata 1. All work with ny MM phono stage in my preamp. Would I like to try MC? Sure, but to do it I have the cost of a cartridge and then the cost of a quality MC step up transformer of some type. In my case, just not worth the expense with what I currently have.
One solution could be a HOMC, there are some compromises, but this would not require upstream modifications.

And to offer a personal perspective, I've used many MM/MI cartridges in the past, I got into LOMC a few years ago with a fairly modest investment (SUT) and have not looked back.
 
I have 3 cartridges. Ortofon 2M Black, SoundSmith Aida, and Grado Sonata 1. All work with ny MM phono stage in my preamp. Would I like to try MC? Sure, but to do it I have the cost of a cartridge and then the cost of a quality MC step up transformer of some type. In my case, just not worth the expense with what I currently have.

You won't know until you know.

I was completely satisfied staying with my MM/MI cartridges, so also didn't see a reason to go that route, until I did. It actually happened by mistake, purchased an upper tier Kenny table and the cartridge happened to be a moving coil. My main preamp for close to 30yrs supported MC, even has different loading options, I just never took advantage of them until thrown in my face lol.
 
Last edited:
Check out seller cartridge_retipping-5 (former member Needlestein). He offers some excellent values for retipped cartridges. Most upgraded with nude and/or fine line-style styli as well as improved cantilevers. :thumbsup:

He retipped my Denon DL301 and it sounds awesome.
 
Which MC to buy? They are not cheap, hence my question. Before I buy, would like to read from others on their experience/opinion. No troll baiting intended.

I’m presently listing to one of the “bargain” MC’s - and I like it. From what I have listened to, I think it compares to some of the best MM/MI carts in the same or somewhat higher price range. I’d certainly be happy with this same MC cartridge on a couple more of my turntables, too. The cart is an AT-OC9ML/II. It sounds -very- good - and not just for the price, which is a deal.
 
Last edited:
Another disadvantage of MC carts is they have output energy and a super-sonic resonance that can extend past 100 kHz. MM carts seldomly go over 40kHz because of the natural low-pass filtering effect of cable capacitance in parallel with a high internal-generator inductance. The high frequency energy from MC carts can and does overload poorly designed phono preamps resulting in strong sibilants that can only be tamed by reducing the load resistance actress the cartridge. This is also one reason why SUT’s can sound better than a preamp as they have reasonable HF response that damps out the cartridge resonance.
I think you may be right in your speculation as to why a SUT can sound so good. A similar thing may apply at the other end of the frequency spectrum too - the relatively modest LF performance of a typical SUT can act as a subsonic noise filter, saving the phonostage from amplifying unwanted LF garbage.
 
V-15. iv and v MR. were great tracking cartridges at the time of production. But as with anything mechanical they deteriorate over time, so I would pass and look around for a current cartridge you can afford and be able to obtain OEM replacement parts. I owned V-15 V MR and Stanton 981 HZL. Both sounded good but when I had wiped my last Stanton stylus I had to go on a search which ended up me choosing a 20 X 2 HO. Dynavector with a 10X5 I owned previously as a back up. I enjoy the Dynavector, it reminds me of my Ortofon SL 20 and MC 20. and tracks as well as my Stanton did. I have never heard my 20X 2 mistrack and it tracks the 90 band on my Ortofon test record almost perfectly at 2.2 grams. Fortunately I bought mine when and where I could wheel and deal. Today they have gone up in price a significant amount. I think I paid in the high $700's or low $800's, where today they are pushing $1200 hard, and at some places even more. I wish you good luck in your search. As always the issue becomes after so many hours you either have to have your MC rebuilt by the factory or buy a new one. That will be my issue in a few more years. I have always wanted an XX-2. Will I afford it though?
 
Last edited:
I understand the reservations for something that is seriously discussed and perhaps hyped for someone having personal experience. I confess I was snob of MC carts 30-40 years ago when I first read about them in hifi magazines. I recall my reaction on reviews of the Koetsu back then. It was indeed a hand crafted gem and indeed had to be expensive for being hand crafted and so scarce. But did that make any difference in sound?

Back then I could not really get satisfied from the playback of my almost non-existent system. I was messing around with a Dual 1009 that had seen better days and a couple of carts. I spent what amounted to huge cash for a school boy to get a Stanton 681-EEE expecting miracles and got nothing. The Shure M44MG that came with the TT and had almost the same age as me sounded subtly better.

This is where I left things in limbo until 2008 when I revisited the matter. And by accident and luck, I got my first decent TT equipped with an MC cart, an Ortofon MC20MkII Super. The sound was so good that I came back to analog and turntable specifically as a source.

Given a decent platform to mount the cart, different carts will sound different. And it's not just the carts. It's the styli as well. Take the "cheap" Ortofon OM5, OM10, OM20 (it gets expensive above that...). I can really hear the difference in sound between the OM10 and OM20 styli on the same cart mounted on the same turntable. It's not a sweeter sound full of artefacts, it's a cleaner sound, less harsh, more balanced with less distortion.

Coming back to the MC/MM sound difference question...
I have never listened to a Koetsu. But I have listened and own a decent range of Ortofon MC carts (and one Technics one).
In general - for whatever that is worth - you can expect an MC cart to sound cleaner and more revealing than a similarly priced MM cart. I'm certain the best and most expensive MM cart would rival an average MC variant, but one needs to compare similar level items, right?

Is the difference so great to my ears? Well, I would say that I'd rather get a hyper eliptical MM than a plain eliptical MC. And to be able to identify the differences, you need to have a decent recording on a decent condition record. Many LPs are mastered and pressed to a level that really won't allow the differences to be revealed between good and average carts.

If you'd gotten a Stanton 680 or 681A medium force tracking stylus, you'd have had better performance with your Dual.
 
Right now I'm listening to a Denon DL-103 on my JVC QL-A7 and loving it! Using a Denon AU-320 SUT into my Audio Research SP8 preamp. Very, very musical!

BillWojo
 
This topic is only troll bait if you are a troll-worthy member.

I find it interesting. Forces me to take stock of my priorities in this hobby.

Just happens I’m listening to a Shure V15 4 cartridge. Really enjoying it. So, do I want to “invest” $1,000 or so (more??!) for a MC cart and setup? Hmmm...

6 months ago I visited a buddy with a nice system. McIntosh tube amps, etc. He and I were working together to repair a pair of VMPS speakers. He has the Denon DL103 cart on his table. It really sounded nice. For giggles, I’d brought a few of my carts on headshells, with protractors for his table. His system is far more high end than mine. We checked his alignment, made a minor adjustment. Great sound!

He wanted to hear what I brought. I had with me the NAD 9300 cart, the ADC 10E MKIV, and the Shure M97HE. This was for me to hear these through his system.

Sounded great, just like it should!

Comparisons? The ADC 10E MKIV sounded better than the 103, in terms of imaging, detail, air, tight and dynamic bass, and well focused clear treble. The other carts were awfully darned close! Just different, really.

From that experience, I’ll stay with my MM and MI carts. Sure, I can get better if I spend a lot more money. But that’s pretty much true with every part of the chain, isn’t it?

So, the choice is yours. But I do recommend finding folks in your area who share your love of audio. Listen and compare. Easier and cheaper on someone else’s dime. But it’s also great fun, and for me, humbling! Some truly great systems out there!

Not mine! Maybe one day!

C344CD98-3946-4B62-8373-E6A11DB57502.jpeg

VMPS needing some love!
251D043C-384A-4147-8368-5CE36DA728B1.jpeg
 
Well, You really don't give all the story when you ask for recommendations, You also need to tell us what arm you are using. It is impossible to recommend a cart if you do not know what arm it is going to be used on. A V15 need a low mass arm with an Eff mass of 8 grams to play properly, whereas a Denon 103 needs a high Eff Mass arm of around 22 - 26 grams. In between are the medium mass arms that can play the majority of carts, however for some strange reason most people either prefer carts that require a low mass arms or high mass arms. Also do you want to buy new or would you consider S/H.

Cheers
 
It really depends on the Price Range. If your budget is $300 I think you’ll find a better MM Cartridge than a MC Cartridge. If you have have a budget around $600 or higher you can find a lot more MC Cartridges that are better than MM Cartridges. Like some other people have mention your best bet is to give one a try and compare for yourself.
 
Back
Top Bottom