• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My first tube amp, how do I know it’s OK.

curtisw99

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I’m new to tubes

Just picked up a Stromberg Carlson ASR-444. It’s been recapped. Supposedly gone over by a tech

if it sounds good and doesn’t red plate, am I safe to run it?
 
Register to hide this ad
If you send a pic of the circuit, we can tell you if something needs to be addressed before you put the amp into long term use.
 
He's got some 3M adhesive damping material on the small electrolytics underneath. It's an audiophile thing, might make a difference in the sound, might not, but it doesn't do any harm. It looks like a very personal restoration with preferred components. Maybe he did it for himself then decided to sell it. I don't think you need to worry about using it.
 
I’m new to tubes

Just picked up a Stromberg Carlson ASR-444. It’s been recapped. Supposedly gone over by a tech

if it sounds good and doesn’t red plate, am I safe to run it?
It looks good to me, Just no volume make sure you have 8 ohm speakers wired in and run it add some volume you can tell more about how it sounds !!! you can go to "Made in Rochester" you will see many Stromberg Carlson amps, consoles, turntables, tape machines. first once you get to Stromberg Carlson download 1961 DJVU HIGH RES to read and open all the files and click to download which one you want to download then just double click the file on your computer and you can see all the info on each amp...
 
Last edited:
^ Hey you'sa beat me to it...

My take on the foam or other stick-on is that there's very little clearance between the chassis and bottom cover - a little extra padding is a good thing. As for resistors, I haven't seen one of these yet that didn't have some resistors wildly out of tolerance. You gotta check 'm all and if you're unsoldering to replace a cap, might as well do the resistor at that junction as well. If the "pop" on power-off bothers you, the fix is to add a .047 or 0.1 uF across-the-line type cap (X-cap) across the terminals of the "switched" outlet on the back.

Since my site was mentioned, see the link below
 
Last edited:
^ Hey you'sa beat me to it...

My take on the foam or other stick-on is that there's very little clearance between the chassis and bottom cover - a little extra padding is a good thing. As for resistors, I haven't seen one of these yet that didn't have some resistors wildly out of tolerance. You gotta check 'm all and if you're unsoldering to replace a cap, might as well do the resistor at that junction as well. If the "pop" on power-off bothers you, the fix is to add a .047 or 0.1 uF across-the-line type cap (X-cap) across the terminals of the "switched" outlet on the back.

Since my site was mentioned, see the link below
Tom : I have gotten a lot of help off of your site im now proud owner of a pair of NEW AR-437 found in Ohio in original boxes bought them last fall WOW are they ever great sounding . I had a analog Tech in Rochester NY go through them he did a great job. they run TUNG-SOL 6550 3225904 original , Mullard gz34 original, 12bh7 originals. 7025 i picked up TUNG-SOL old ones numerical date on the labeled Stromberg Carlson 3225930 ohhhh the sound is just out of this world in regards to what is available to 6.9 or what ever stereo they have now. I Don't need any added sub woofers for bass I have 15" Altec Lansings alnico magnet woofers Treated cloth surrounds... 112 dbl 1 watt at 4 metters. now its time to start to sell some of my Stromberg Carlson amps I have . 4 ea ASR-120, 2 ea APH 1030, 2 ea APH 1050 , 3 sets of Crossovers 3 way, pair of 12", pair of 8 " , and a pair of induction Tweeters..
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom