• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My Kind of Store in Cedar Lake IN

TomBig58

Super Member
Not affiliated. I wish him well in his business endeavor. He has a FB page too.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/ele/d/cedar-lake-vintage-receivers-amps/7009376107.html



00Z0Z_lGWAwU7LcP5_600x450.jpg


00Q0Q_59MrYjVRfA9_600x450.jpg


00404_8SX9aZRoCdU_600x450.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Obviously a labor of love, but I don't see a store like that making a lot of money or staying in business long. Online, possibly, but a B&M store for a niche product like that is going to be tough to maintain.
 
There is a possibility of survival, Bobby at Getchell Amplifier W of Indianapolis seems to be making a living at it, as does Brian at Misfitz Audio in Grand Rapids, MI (no affiliation with either other than as a customer).

I see a lot of mid-line silver-face stuff in Billy's store, reminds me of a store in the Detroit area that has sky-high prices on everything, store is packed, and nothing really high-end to sell.

I love stores like Misfitz where they tend to keep some really nice stuff around, even better at a store like The Audio Solution in Indianapolis is a dealer for some high-end brands, but you'll have to walk through mazes of used equipment in each room ranging from a Transcriptor TT on a landing half-way up the stairs, huge used tube amps, servers, last time I was there an SX-1980 was still sitting on a counter (trade-in) that was there in my visit weeks before, ... not even on the short list for restoration.

My suspicion is that there are plenty of these stores around the country, some do well and some don't. Misfitz started when Brian realized that he was storing garages full of vintage audio and it might be time to do something with it, I know that Bobby Getchell also has at least one storage unit I've been in besides all of his back room stock but started out building guitar amps. The Audio Solution has been a dealer who takes trade-ins of all kinds (including a really cool big-block Chevelle that has since sold) and ends up with lots of cool used stuff.

I do think that having a really good tech is important to make it work.
 
There is a possibility of survival, Bobby at Getchell Amplifier W of Indianapolis seems to be making a living at it, as does Brian at Misfitz Audio in Grand Rapids, MI (no affiliation with either other than as a customer).

.....
I do think that having a really good tech is important to make it work.

Agree, if you have a great tech there will be a backlog of work and income. Like a car dealership, the back end supports the front end. He should also be selling online and the store is as much a store room.
 
Obviously a labor of love, but I don't see a store like that making a lot of money or staying in business long. Online, possibly, but a B&M store for a niche product like that is going to be tough to maintain.

This ^^^^

The focus on vintage, while cool, is way too niche. My suggestion would be to also offer some older components from higher end brands like McIntosh and early VTL for example. In order to better survive some current products from reasonably priced brands like Rogue or Quicksilver would help. Also, expand the LP sections.
 
I respect it, but a bunch of mid-level stuff in that location? Not gonna work.
If he's a tech, maybe. If there was another half of the store that was vinyl, maybe.
 
Last edited:
This ^^^^

The focus on vintage, while cool, is way too niche. My suggestion would be to also offer some older components from higher end brands like McIntosh and early VTL for example. In order to better survive some current products from reasonably priced brands like Rogue or Quicksilver would help. Also, expand the LP sections.

the thing is, it’s not easy to find McIntosh stuff to resell. Expanding the LP section, same thing. Where does the inventory come from? It either comes through the door from people looking to sell, or you have to go out and find it at a price that allows you to make a profit. I would love to know how I can acquire some older McIntosh stuff on the cheap...
 
There is a possibility of survival, Bobby at Getchell Amplifier W of Indianapolis seems to be making a living at it, as does Brian at Misfitz Audio in Grand Rapids, MI (no affiliation with either other than as a customer).


I see a lot of mid-line silver-face stuff in Billy's store, reminds me of a store in the Detroit area that has sky-high prices on everything, store is packed, and nothing really high-end to sell.

I love stores like Misfitz where they tend to keep some really nice stuff around, even better at a store like The Audio Solution in Indianapolis is a dealer for some high-end brands, but you'll have to walk through mazes of used equipment in each room ranging from a Transcriptor TT on a landing half-way up the stairs, huge used tube amps, servers, last time I was there an SX-1980 was still sitting on a counter (trade-in) that was there in my visit weeks before, ... not even on the short list for restoration.

My suspicion is that there are plenty of these stores around the country, some do well and some don't. Misfitz started when Brian realized that he was storing garages full of vintage audio and it might be time to do something with it, I know that Bobby Getchell also has at least one storage unit I've been in besides all of his back room stock but started out building guitar amps. The Audio Solution has been a dealer who takes trade-ins of all kinds (including a really cool big-block Chevelle that has since sold) and ends up with lots of cool used stuff.

I do think that having a really good tech is important to make it work.

I know misfitz makes a decent amount of income from tech work. They also aren’t paying much rent at their location. If I thought I could make money here with a b&m shop, I would do it.
 
They're at the outer fringes of a market with 9.5 million people, and are in an area with low rent. There's a chance they could eke out a living.
 
the thing is, it’s not easy to find McIntosh stuff to resell. Expanding the LP section, same thing. Where does the inventory come from? It either comes through the door from people looking to sell, or you have to go out and find it at a price that allows you to make a profit. I would love to know how I can acquire some older McIntosh stuff on the cheap...

Never said there would be a high profit margin or that components of that caliber would simply fall into the shop owners lap. He will have to hustle for sure. There's no such thing as a "cheap" McIntosh by most people's definition.....however...there's the potential to be a couple hundred bucks in the black if he knows the value/market. Don't kid yourself....he isn't exactly gonna be raking in the money with all the mid-level stuff shown in the photos.
 
Back
Top Bottom