• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My SUT Arrived Today. Be A Good One For My Ortofons

Register to hide this ad
Some of those old Ortofon cartridges have vanishingly low outputs and aren't easy to amplify. I'll be interested to hear your impressions of the unit. I know you were disappointed recently with a fairly expensive head amp due to its noise. I expect you won't have the same problem with the transformer.
 
Some of those old Ortofon cartridges have vanishingly low outputs and aren't easy to amplify. I'll be interested to hear your impressions of the unit. I know you were disappointed recently with a fairly expensive head amp due to its noise. I expect you won't have the same problem with the transformer.
These old school SUT made for the MC 2000/3000/5000/7500 cartridges are hard to find, and now command serious money. I got lucky for the amount I spent, and it makes more sense since I have 3 cartridges I can use it with.

The CJ Nuvistor based step up actually sounds good but is going to need a cartridge with a .3 or .4 mV output in order to not have noise floor issues. But it does sound good, if you can pair it with an appropriate cartridge.
 
So I hooked up the T2000 today to a Graham Slee Accession phono stage and an Ortofon MC3000 cartridge. It took me a bit of time to work through finding out how to ground it, but in the end it got done. Noise can be a real issue in my system as the speakers are more efficient than average, and I have a lot of gain from the pre-amp. But once grounded it is pretty darn quiet, and more than listenable.

The MC3000 has significntly more output voltage than the MC2000 cartridge this SUT is slated to be used with. The MC2000 is .05 mV while the MC3000 is a whopping .10 mV. So I put the output of the SUT on the variable input of the Graham and ran it at 75%. No issues, and perhaps I will try it direct and see how the phono stage deals with the additional 10 dB of output from the SUT.

So far I am pretty pleased with what I hear, and consider this a good purchase This allows me to use the MC3000 as a casual cartridge, and not take a big hit in sound quality when compared to my main cartridges.
 
Never thought I would go here but since we installed Starlink streaming is part of our listening habit. This will save a few bucks long-term as music's playing all day every day around here.
 
So far I have used the T2000 SUT with the MC3000 cartridge since its installed and aligned on a headshell. The MC2000 is at Expert Stylus getting a new diamond put on it and a general cleaning and tune-up. I need a set of headshell wires to install the MC200, and that is a pairing I am really curious to hear.

With the MC3000 the sound isn't too far off my better cartridges. While not the same sound, and perhaps lacking the finest bit of detail in the upper registers, its at least in the same ballpark. It's like they had worked out what the sound should be like, and have spent the following years refining it and getting output voltages up to higher levels and retaining that overall presentation. I imagine that is no small feat, going from ..05 mV in case of the MC2000 to .10 mV with the MC3000 and now to cartridges between .30 and .40 mV in the current lineup.
 
So far I have used the T2000 SUT with the MC3000 cartridge since its installed and aligned on a headshell. The MC2000 is at Expert Stylus getting a new diamond put on it and a general cleaning and tune-up. I need a set of headshell wires to install the MC200, and that is a pairing I am really curious to hear.

With the MC3000 the sound isn't too far off my better cartridges. While not the same sound, and perhaps lacking the finest bit of detail in the upper registers, its at least in the same ballpark. It's like they had worked out what the sound should be like, and have spent the following years refining it and getting output voltages up to higher levels and retaining that overall presentation. I imagine that is no small feat, going from ..05 mV in case of the MC2000 to .10 mV with the MC3000 and now to cartridges between .30 and .40 mV in the current lineup.
Too bad you're so far away, I'd love to hear those cartridges. Have Fun!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom