• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mystery McIntosh Amp

johnny_fever

Sansui Addict. No Serious. Not Kidding.
Subscriber
Anyone ever see this style Mcintosh Amp? It has a date code of 1965 and has the same tubes as the MC60. Thanks Rick
 

Attachments

  • photo 3-2.jpg
    photo 3-2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Check here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=479650

attachment.php
 
If you do a search on eBay completed listings for McIntosh MI-60 you will find a couple of recent listings and more detailed pics
 
The friend who asked me says It has the same tubes as the MI60 but looks completely different. I first said MC60 because I thought he sent me a typo msg. Thanks Rick
 
I'm sorry to do this to this particular post, I'm new to this forum and I'd like to create a post and I can't see how to do that. Can anyone help me?
 
I'm sorry to do this to this particular post, I'm new to this forum and I'd like to create a post and I can't see how to do that. Can anyone help me?

1. Go to the forum where you want to create a new post.
2. Scroll to the bottom of the page of current threads.
3. At bottom left is a button "New Thread"... click on it.
4. Away you go!
 
I still say MI-60, an industrial Mac amp, not the MC-60.

If you look closely at the amp in your picture, it has been modified from standard MI-60. For example:
- the two circular connectors at the bottom left and right that are standard in the MI-60 for "Preamp Input" and "Output" have been covered with screw terminal connector blocks.
- the Gain pot has been removed (just a hole)
- the Hum Adjust has been removed and some other knob sits in front of it.
- some "things" have been added to that front panel - cannot see exactly - looks like a switch on the RHS and a chicken-head knob on the LHS.
 
So your thinking Its a rigged up MI60?
That is my take on it. It looks like someone has moved a few things around to fit their needs.

Some of these were rack mounted and had the power switch, indicator, pot etc. on the rack front (which would be attached where the bottom panel would go). There were different variations.

Take a close look at these past sold items on eBay: 301085998334, 301051170097 (both have the rack-mount option).
 
My friend says these are wider than the MI60's like 17" Im posting another pic. And the transformers are not In the same location. Thanks for the ebay listing. My friend will look them over. Thanks Rick
 

Attachments

  • photo 2-2.jpg
    photo 2-2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 32
MI60s have 19" wide faceplates as they are designed to fit in a normal relay rack.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
My friend says these are wider than the MI60's like 17" Im posting another pic. And the transformers are not In the same location. Thanks for the ebay listing. My friend will look them over. Thanks Rick
That still looks like the MI-60.

Is that 19" wide between the rack ears or including the rack ears? I think it is including the rack ears. Add an inch to each side of the amp in question for rack ears and you're at 19".

This page provides dimensional specs for the MI-60.

http://www.roger-russell.com/amplif2.htm

That sounds right, so if his friend measures the hole mounting on the bottom as shown at the left in this pic he gave us in post #13 they should be approx 18.25" on centers across the width of the amp:
attachment.php
 
Back
Top Bottom