• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

NAD 1300 Recap/Restoration

Hello and thank you for documenting your recap. I just picked up a NAD 1300 with the intent to recap as well. I hope you don't mind, I will be using your experiences to help guide me through this process. i have just opened up the case case cleaned off a whole bunch of gunk off the solder side of the main board, also did a quick touch up of some weak looking solder joints. I recapped an 1155 about a year ago and I have to say the build quality severely dropped on the 1300. Most of the components are crooked, assembly glue all over the place, and some very sketchy soldering. I have a hum on the Phono input as well, other than that it sounds quite dull. I am hopeful I can get some decent sound out of it.
Hi Audiobro,
What was your impression of the MR-1155 when you worked on it? The reason I’m asking is I’m looking at a Marantz unit and came across that one. Price is listed at $350. Seems high, but before I start haggling, I need to know if this unit is worth owning.
 
Hi Audiobro,
What was your impression of the MR-1155 when you worked on it? The reason I’m asking is I’m looking at a Marantz unit and came across that one. Price is listed at $350. Seems high, but before I start haggling, I need to know if this unit is worth owning.
It is worth owning and that price is a bit high. I sold my 1155 for just a bit more than that. But I had put a good deal of work and parts into it.
 
Thanks for replying. I’m thinking I’ll look for a more collectible unit in the 22xx line. I like the uniqueness of the gyro-dial tuning. Also, I’m hearing the build quality is supposedly not as good as the 1970s models. It’s just my gut feel, but I think I’ll keep looking.
Again, thanks for relying.
 
NAD, the problem with them was the “ugh” appearance of them....but great sounding equipment that’s for sure...
 
Too many folks focus on the bling look, a drizzle of dioxit and some new led bulbs. It’s the sound that matters to me. These vintage amps can sound great but the level of effort to replace all the seriously degraded and failing parts is huge.
 
I finally had a chance to revisit the effects of VR201. From the factory, my 1300 always had a output imbalance between left and right. I tried to match the resistance value between left/right channels, first across the 1K8 and 2K2 only, then expand it to include the R231 and R232. In both cases, the balance got better, but still not centered.

Then I realize the purpose of VR201 is perhaps designed to balance the output of both channels along the entire signal path, taking the gains/values of every active/passive components into consideration. So I changed my approach to balance the output end-to-end. I used a 1kHz 1Vpp signal as input to both channels, and observe the L/R channels on Ch1 and Ch2 on the scope. The output is absolutely clean, and I can observe how the volume control affects the balance. The balance varies slightly at various output level, so I just picked the point that I used most often as the output level to balance the output. After that, the output was perfectly centered, and this may be a more effective approach than resistance matching.

While I have the equipment in place, I also ran a FRA on the preamp, I limited it to 10Hz - 50kHz, if I follow the +/- 0.3 dB spec, it is able to deliver it between 12Hz - 24kHz.

For 20Hz - 20kHz, it is +/-0.23dB, which includes a small 0.3dB bump between 22-24Hz captured in 3 data points. For 24Hz- 20kHz, the response is +/- 0.11dB, quite acceptable for a 30 year old preamp. Curve shape is characterized by slight 0.05dB boost at <2000Hz, and gradual drop-off above 10kHz. But with a overall response range of +/- 0.11dB, it may be difficult to discern from untrained ears like mine.

Taking the entire measurement spectrum of 10Hz - 50kHz, it is =/- 0.64dB

All measurements were done with Infrasonic filter off, and bypassed tone control.


The purpose of the VR201 was the whole time in plain sight (in case I read the schematics correctly):

- it is only in one channel
- it s 1K trimpot
- it is in series with 1K8 resistor
- second channel has no trimpot, but instead it has 2K2 resistor


The sole purpose of the trimpot is to ensure that both critical resistances are equal (it adjust one channel to equal resistance value of the other) one. NADs way how to avoid matched high tolerance parts :).

I can either replace and adjust the trimpot or remove it together with 1K8 and 2K2 resistors and replace with matched 2K2 pair of 1% metal films.

Regarding the VR201. There is also R231/232 (680 ohm) in the path that also needs to be matched/paired if the trimpot would go out.
 
@NoisyBoy Thank you very much for publishing you findings.
I am busy elsewhere currently, but it would be interesting to check/adjust the balance also in my unit.
 
I like the NAD equipment a lot. Those YEC electrolytics seem to be major failure items on this model. Best wishes on it, enjoy the music. Superb job and fine outcome.
 
Thank you, I have it on 3-4 hours each week, as it is definitely sounding good (at least to me). Next project is to restore its other half, a pair of bridged 2600A this summer.
 
First I'd like to say I'm very grateful to thoresui, Audiobro, NoiseyBoy and everyone who has carefully documented their experiences with the 1300 here.

I have a second-hand 1300 open on the bench right now, and need to do a second pass switch and pot cleaning, and am putting together an order for replacement electrolytics. Generally, when I opened up the unit, I was amazed at the sheer depth of paleolothic flux that encased the underside of the PCB. The second thing that troubled me was that the vicinity of the first power regulator stage (topside) was tanned a very deep brown relative to the rest of the PCB. More on that below. My unit has a problem with a *very* noisy (pink/brown, not 60Hz) right channel in phono (both MM and MC), and a very dodgy MM/MC selector, which could be related.


- some choke on the mains cable
I don't have this in my 1300. In fact, all power wiring before the transformer is soldered, to my surprise. Although I suppose that this is less of a consideration on appliances with relatively low current draw.

- coils and capacitors isolated with duct tape near phono outputs with rather naive soldering directly to the chassis
I'm missing all of this - feeling left out! No sign of corresponding improvisations topside. Everything looks relatively clean, with the exception of the cap soldered to the body of the MM/MC selector switch...

- some resistors
I have resistors soldered underneath JW105. These look to modify the volume control circuitry. Haven't looked too closely.

In addition, I have another couple of caps in the vicinity of the input to IC209, the last opamp before the main output stage - maybe a bit of high frequency bypass.

I'm glad to her that main filter caps still measured well, although they're the easiest thing in the entire unit to replace. I'm also very grateful to the folks that measured all the "outgoing" capacitors. I'm definitely focusing on caps other than the Rubicons.

Continued with caps in the high output section of the board: 505,506,507,508,509,510
Interesting that all the caps in the main output stage were so bad. I'm guessing that this is due to initial quality rather than to age and stress.

Regarding the Power Supply:
I see an almost even +/-19.2V at the output of the second stage regulators, and relatively cool Q605/Q606 pass transistors. Interesting that you have the 220V version and 10ohm R601/R602. Mine are 21ohm, and are called upon to dissipate rather too much power. In fact, R601 seems to be dissipating almost 900mW, whereas R602 is only ~300mW. The result seems to be this: . It runs, but it doesn't smell great.
I'm glad you didn't replace yours with 22ohm!

The voltages of note in my PSU are:
- after the bridge: +34.9 / -36.1
- after Q601/Q602: +24.5 / -23.5
- after Q605/Q606: +19.3 / -19.2

I measure 4.4V across R601 (200 mA) and only 2.8V across R602 (127 mA)
I'm seriously considering replacing R601/R602 with 15ohm resistors, and seeing whether I can improve on the homemade-looking heat sinks on Q601/Q602, especially if I'm going to ask them to drop more voltage. I'm concerned, though, that the (+) rail is being asked for almost twice the current that the (-) rail is!

I have noticed that Q601 and Q602 are seriously hot.
It's likely that R601/R602 are contributing significant radiated heat! In my unit, Q601/Q602 are dissipating only ~1.25W each, and R601 especially is dissipating almost 1W. I've been thinking of not only replacing the 21ohms with 15ohms, but how to sink them or thermally couple them to modified sinks for Q601/Q602. Did you end up making any changes to these sinks?


There are no real ventilation holes in the chassis
That may be a contributor to the fact that my PSU seems to have been braised gently over the years. I was thinking of perhaps coupling the heat sinks to the top cover using (deep-ish) thermal pads. I wouldn't want any additional stress on the legs of Q601/Q602, though.

installing sockets and trying different op-amps
I came to the same conclusion about these relatively high voltage opamps. Unless I could be sure of a dramatic difference, I don't see it being worth replacing any of them.

If somebody has the time for experimenting than in theory replacing the 20V zeners in regulated PS with some lower voltage type (15-17V) could bring down the supply voltage for opamps and allow using more accessible modern opamps. Not sure what it would do with the rest of the circuit.
Clearly this would be the best way to go about replacing those opamps with more modern/hi fi ones. Keep in mind that the existing draw from Q605/Q606 is ~ 100mA (for all the opamps). If you choose to drop more voltage across them to yield lower rails, these two transistors will pay with heat. Based on other measured voltages and the opamps' draw, I'd say they're currently dissipating 400-500mW each (and have no heat sinks). Your mileage should vary linearly with voltage difference...
I do have an ngpice simulation of the NAD 1300 PSU which agrees more or less with what I measure, although I don't have models for the big transistors. I'll try lower zeners on D602/D603 and get back to you. I don't see why it shouldn't be stable. Hotter, but then newer opamps would probably draw less current.

Cheers!
 
Last edited:
@The Plumber

Thanks for detailed write up and explanation.

---

Phono section was super noisy on mine 1300 preamp when measured without the metal cover. Is the noise present on assembled unit as well?

Replace all the caps (even if some of them measure good). They can still have numerous other issues when "under load". It is not costly or complicated on this unit and it is well worth the effort.

Just my 2c.
 
@thoresui

Yeah, only the right phono channel is still super (pink/brown) noisy with covers on. It could even be that some capacitor in the phono biasing network is responsible. I haven't kept the unit powered up for long enough to measure bias voltages throughout the phono section because of that toasty PSU. One thing at a time, I guess. You may be right though: once I've started replacing caps, why stop short?

And by the way, ngspice simulation of the PSU assuming ~100mA draw from Q605/Q606 and using 16V zeners in D602/D603 seems to yield a stable ~ +/- 15V. Ignoring that modern opamps would probably draw less, that would take Q605/Q606 from dissipating ~500mW to almost 1W. You would want to install heat sinks, but that should fairly cleanly give you a wider choice of modern opamps!
 
@The Plumber

Thanks for detailed write up and explanation.

---

Phono section was super noisy on mine 1300 preamp when measured without the metal cover. Is the noise present on assembled unit as well?

Replace all the caps (even if some of them measure good). They can still have numerous other issues when "under load". It is not costly or complicated on this unit and it is well worth the effort.

Just my 2c.
Hello, I just found this thread about NAD 1300 issues. I have one that developed a hum when it was switched on & then diminished. I have no experience in audio repair work so I took it back to the shop I bought it from about a year ago, I spent $250 on it used then. They gave me an estimate of $380 which included $60 for exam. After I told them I bought it from them they lowered their estimate to $280. This is the evaluation they gave me:
NAD 1300 Preamplifier SN#1482- General cleaning, service and diagnostic of the preamp. Cleaned all controls and switches to see if it was a cleaning issue. Preamp still has the same problem and audio has excessive distortion and quality loss. Capacitors are testing bad all throughout the preamp. This unit would need a full recap and restore. This would involve replacing all electrolytic capacitors, corroding transistors and cleaning leaking electrolyte from the old capacitors off the board. This would also include fixing any other minor issues we find along the way. Estimate $380 for restoration of the preamp.
My question is from anyone who has worked on this do you think this is a fair price to have it repaired? If not, since I have no experience in repair would it be a good project for me to start on. Many of the comments make it sound some what difficult. Also, could I get anything for it just for parts to recoup some of my purchase price or would it just be chalk it up to lesson learned & look for a similar preamp replacement. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.
 
@PeteLundskow

I do not know what are the "usual repair prices" in your area. Would try to find another repair shop or independent repairman and ask for a quote for "recap + cold joints inspection".

DIY is always an option, but you will need to study, aquire some tools and maybe event train on some lower quality units to get some basic skills. You will bet more "value/knowledge" for yourself in the process but it will not be cheap either.

You can always try to sell it for price which makes sense for you. Somebody will buy it as project.
 
I appreciate your reply! I realize that my replacement repair parts may end up to be different than yours. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you spend on parts for your repair? Thanks again!
 
@PeteLundskow

The parts for recap will be exactly the same. There are different grades of capacitors, starting from super cheap general purpose and ending with super exotic audiophile with fancy sleeves and names.
There is a little catch, that the price of capacitors is usually much better if you buy them in small batches.

If somebody picks a set of quality capacitors for particular unit they ask a hefty premium for it but that can be considered as the maximum price = 40 euro:

https://www.audio-high-store.com/product/nad-1300-upgrade-kit-audio-capacitors/

The minimum price depends on your willingnes source them yourself from cheaper "non-audio specialized" parts shop. It is little bit time consuming needs to be said.
 
Same goes for all those "1Nxxxx" diodes (and others) replaced with their direct "'UFxxxx" equivalents. Even though current technically stays the same, by improving recovery speed, you increase the ability of the music to hit harder and faster, which shows up as increased dynamic range and headroom, which gives the impression of higher current. The faster that same current is able to recover to a specified value, the more current it sounds like it actually has.

Do you mean ALL diodes, even in the phono and line stage, or just in the power supply?
 
Mainly power supply but other sections to a lesser extent. It's not "necessary" obviously, but can be a nice little unexpected bump in performance. I've not personally experienced any downsides on the dozen or more pieces I've upgraded the diodes to "UF" from "1N" but it is possible switching noise or oscillations may be introduced at inaudible frequencies? that could damage equipment- but I've had no ill effect to any tweeters or anything like that.

There's also some that would recommend Schottkys instead of the "UF" types who may wish to chime in. I haven't had as much experience with Schottkys, but would be open to trying them more if I could source them as easily as the UF types.
 
Back
Top Bottom