• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

NAD D 3020 vs Pioneer A20 vs Onkyo 9010

Which entry level amp would you choose to power a pair of Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speaker

  • NAD D 3020

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Onkyo 9010

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Pioneer Elite A20

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Marantz PM6005

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Yamaha A-S301

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Yamaha A-U761

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yamaha A-U671

    Votes: 1 3.1%

  • Total voters
    32
The specs on that yammy you ordered worry me. Let us know how you like it but I'd bet you return it.
 
I know...I saw the THD too! Not sure why I took the chance...I guess I am in the mood for a change and I'm searching around. Does anyone know anything about the TEAC AI-1000?
 
Tin Bird, If you don't mind buying used gear, a $25 subscription would give you access to AK's Barter Town. There is someone selling a Peachtree Nova 65SE on there now.
 
The Teac AI-1000 was part of the discontinued distinction series of AB integrated amps Teac made a few years ago. From what I recall they were traditional well make amps but nothing special.
 
Tin Bird, If you don't mind buying used gear, a $25 subscription would give you access to AK's Barter Town. There is someone selling a Peachtree Nova 65SE on there now.
I have looked at the Peachtree Nova online. Looked at a couple of them being sold on eBay. Is the consensus around here that they are worth the $. I see that they have a tube preamp that supposedly warms the sound a bit, although most reviewers seemed to prefer them w the tube out f the mix. I'm interested. Thanks for the tip.
 
The Teac AI-1000 was part of the discontinued distinction series of AB integrated amps Teac made a few years ago. From what I recall they were traditional well make amps but nothing special.
specs for TEAC AI-1000:

web site: http://www.teac.com/product/ai-1000/overview/

  • Authentic Discrete Analogue Amplifier Circuit
  • 6 Audio Inputs (SACD, CD, Tuner, Tape, AUX, Tone-Direct)
  • Detachable AC Socket
  • Aluminum Front Panel and Volume Knob
  • Remote Control
  • Output Power: 120W + 120W (4 ohms), 85W + 85W (8 ohms)
  • Total Harmonic Distortion: less than 0.009%
  • Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 100dB (A-weighted)
  • Frequency Response: 10Hz - 30,000Hz (-0.5dB)
  • Analogue Audio Inputs: x 6 (RCA)
  • Preout: x 1 (RCA)
  • Headphone Out: x 1 (6.3mm)
  • Speaker Terminals: x 1 pair (Binding Post)
  • Operation: 120V AC, 60Hz (US), 230V AC, 50Hz (EUR)
  • Dimensions (W x H x D): 17-1/8" x 4-5/8" x 15-7/8" (435 x 116 x 403 mm)
  • Weight: 22 lbs. (10 kg)
One review among others that caught my eye:
I'm a tube guy at heart. I have been listening exclusively to music processed by tube gear for more years than I can remember. Love the spacious, shimmering sound tubes bring forth. Nothing like it. One day while researching audio gear I stumbled upon the Teac Distinction Series of amplifiers, cd players and tuner. Upon further research, Teac was discontinuing the series and impressive discounts on the gear were available, so I rolled the dice and picked up the AI-1000B amp and the CD-1000B cd player. Sounds crazy to roll the dice so to speak as I'm a listen first, purchase second individual, but I knew there was no way I could audition this gear as it was already discontinued with limited availability. Long story shorter, I received both pieces and cannot say enough about the sound presentation from this combination. The Japanese have won me over. I'm not saying this slays good tube sound, but it's amazing in it's own right. The precision in the delivery (timing) is superb. So accurate. A rich and dare I say luxurious sound which reminds me of the great Luxman amps of the 1970's. The Teac distinction series is a true hidden gem in the audiophile world. If you get the chance to pick one up, I say go for it. High praise sums it up for me. Enjoy the music.
ADDITION TO MY REVIEW: I've now have this gear for over 2 months and listening to it extensively. The sound is simply wonderful! What does that mean? Well, think about what wonderful means to you and there you have it. My tube gear hasn't had the power switch turned on in 60 days and that is the highest praise I can give TEAC. Whomever was responsible for driving this supposed middle of the road TEAC gear forward I commend them. Job exceedingly well done. I have not listened to Esoteric components and hope I will, but I have to say for the extreme bargains that can be had on this discontinued Distinction Series gear at the moment, there might not be a better deal found in the audiophile world. This Teac Distinction Series is that good! No kidding.
 
Specs look good, reviews can only help so much though without measurements to back them up. Honestly, why do you want a new amp? Do you need more power for something? Also, I see you have a C-7030. You might want to check out the higher end Onkyo A-9070 as has an RI connection so it can talk to your C-7030 thus only one remote. The 9010 & 9050 will do that as well though. Anyway good luck.
 
I actually have the Pioneer A20. I think I'm looking for something that is a little better...a little more dynamic, clear, perhaps a bit more bass...something like that. Maybe I'm just lusting after new gear because... ;-)
 
I actually have the Pioneer A20. I think I'm looking for something that is a little better...a little more dynamic, clear, perhaps a bit more bass...something like that. Maybe I'm just lusting after new gear because... ;-)

Sounds to me like you want new speakers not a new amp. If you're not exceeding the A20's operational limits then getting a different amp isn't going to make your speakers sound more clear, dynamic, etc. You've got tone controls and a loudness circuit on that amp already so if the bass isn't cutting it with those and your current speakers then you need a sub or different speakers.

Again a new amp isn't going to change the sound that much nor should it; a good amp will measure flat. Sure there are nuances but in my experience with 20+ integrateds, amps/pre combos, etc so long as the amps are not outside their comfort zone the sound doesn't change all that much. Dynamics, clarity, bass extension...these are all primarily attributes of speakers in a system rather than the electronics.
 
I appreciate your insight. You may well be right. One thing is that the A20 does not have a sub out. That may be a reason to pursue another amp. I do like the sound of the Dentons (warm and smooth) and they do go fairly low (44Hz), but having a bit more low end might be something I'm longing for. You've given me something to think about for sure. Maybe, if the new Yamaha amp I have on the way sounds good, that it has a sub out, might be the remedy...
 
I appreciate your insight. You may well be right. One thing is that the A20 does not have a sub out. That may be a reason to pursue another amp. I do like the sound of the Dentons (warm and smooth) and they do go fairly low (44Hz), but having a bit more low end might be something I'm longing for. You've given me something to think about for sure. Maybe, if the new Yamaha amp I have on the way sounds good, that it has a sub out, might be the remedy...

Sure thing. Also, depending upon the sub one doesn't need a sub out to add one. Some subs have speaker level inputs that you run right off the amp into the sub and then to your speakers. The better types of these also have a high and low pass filter on the speaker level inputs so you can send the lows to the sub and the highs to the speakers; this way you can get more out of your amp as well. Just some ideas.
 
Hey folks...well...I am not 100% sure whether this is cool for AK or not, but I am going to unequivocally state in no uncertain terms, that the Yamaha U671 kicks the NAD D 3020's butt all up and down the avenue! Holy moly this amp sounds terrific. Crystal clear on top (like the NAD was) but with tight , punchy bass and much more warm full sound. It even sounds better (I think...we are talking 55 minutes into initial listening) than my Pioneer A20 as well. More clear on top...I can make out words that I could not before and the bass is punchier and less boomy. I am surprised by this development..I was thinking this would be a quick Amazon turnaround..instead, I am thinking it may be a keeper. More to come as the amp breaks in...but let me again state clearly this is waaayyy better than the NAD D 3020..I cannot imagine anyone not hearing what I hear here. If you were considering going the D 3020 route, you need to consider this guy for sure too. I am impressed.
 
Thanks! Totally surprised... pleasantly so. Nice, warm, punchy, clear, detailed, sound. Not bombastic at all. You can tell that its the same type of amp as the D 3020, but there is more oomph...I had pressed the bass boost button on the NAD and this Yamaha sounds punchier than when it was on. Not bloated, just has some presence. Keep in mind we are talking Wharfedale bookshelf speakers here so not rattling the rafters, but I am hearing things I couldn't w the A20 and the bass is punchy and present.
 
Also, I must say that the THD 10% rating MUST be a typo...there is no way that this unit has MORE distortion than my Pioneer A20...perhaps some folks would argue that human ears can't tell the difference, but I do have pretty sensitive hearing and there certainly was more smearing, bass bloat, lack of clarity, and sharpness to the sound of the Pioneer than this little guy (not that the A20 sounded bad at all....but...). These type D amps have a certain civility to them that I noted w the NAD D 3020. Everything seems calm and collected...like the amp is saying, "Would you like to listen to some nice music sir?" You get the sense that there is nothing added and nothing taken away. Certainly not a "Giant Killer" amp by any stretch. But I was planning to spend much more for a new amp to achieve what I seem to have found here. btw In case you have not noticed, I live in Virginia Beach, VA...we are going to get a major snow storm tonight...they are calling for 8 - 12 inches of snow locally...apparently I will have some shut in time to get to know the new amp even more. :-)
 
Sure. Tonight/tomorrow look to be pretty crazy...they are saying that some areas could get 15 inches of snow when all is said and done. Crazy! The Pioneer A20 has been my main amp for the past year or so...very nice sounding A/B amp. I suppose I am considering selling it now that I have found what appears to be a better match for my system. I guess we'll see...I've really enjoyed having the A20 and I think it's a wonderful amp. Has a much bigger sound than my new Yamaha little guy, but I think the Yamaha is slightly more accurate, detailed, and refined. Be safe in the storm.
 
Storm not really living up to it's billing. Although we have a few more hours to go, I'd say we only have about 5" of snow over this way. Still cool, but a bit of a disappointment (for me! :-)
 
Back
Top Bottom