Timggg
Active Member
Happy New Year…
I’m back !
Still waiting for my mini-grab probes to arrive so decided to progress further :
- Q704 cleaned up and resoldered
- unsoldered the new capacitor C704 and checked voltage readings with DMM. Readings suggested healthy (check was done to confirm I haven’t damaged it due to overheating when soldering it last time). But I also bought a pre-owed DMM with capacitance readings - used that to check but reading is zero. Max range on the meter is 200 uF far below the 1000 uF for C704. Same zero uF reading on the old blown capacitor. I’m not sure if it’s faulty or I should expect a max range reading of 200 uF from that meter? But I soldered it back anyhow
- checked supply voltage on 2 points with good readings (+47V on Q901 & -24V on Q904). I initially measured very low V readings and thought I’ve confirmed power supply issue but happy to realise pretty soon it was because I didn’t switch on the amp yet
Will check on Q902 & IC902 when mini grab probes arrived.
Are there any suggestions on what to do in the meantime ? I’m thinking of getting another new cap for C704 - is this necessary ?
Note I’ve contacted the previous owner of the amp who confirmed it was functioning well before and only went into protect mode after it was returned with damaged pre-out main-in rca jacks by the buyer before I got hold of the amp.
I’m back !
Still waiting for my mini-grab probes to arrive so decided to progress further :
- Q704 cleaned up and resoldered
- unsoldered the new capacitor C704 and checked voltage readings with DMM. Readings suggested healthy (check was done to confirm I haven’t damaged it due to overheating when soldering it last time). But I also bought a pre-owed DMM with capacitance readings - used that to check but reading is zero. Max range on the meter is 200 uF far below the 1000 uF for C704. Same zero uF reading on the old blown capacitor. I’m not sure if it’s faulty or I should expect a max range reading of 200 uF from that meter? But I soldered it back anyhow
- checked supply voltage on 2 points with good readings (+47V on Q901 & -24V on Q904). I initially measured very low V readings and thought I’ve confirmed power supply issue but happy to realise pretty soon it was because I didn’t switch on the amp yet

Will check on Q902 & IC902 when mini grab probes arrived.
Are there any suggestions on what to do in the meantime ? I’m thinking of getting another new cap for C704 - is this necessary ?
Note I’ve contacted the previous owner of the amp who confirmed it was functioning well before and only went into protect mode after it was returned with damaged pre-out main-in rca jacks by the buyer before I got hold of the amp.








