• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Name That Speaker

4everanalog

Active Member
Found these mystery speakers for sale locally.

I suspect they are hand built but on the off chance they are not ...
Look familiar? Kit Maybe? Anyone recognize the drivers?

:scratch2:
 

Attachments

  • $_20.JPG
    $_20.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 176
  • $_30.JPG
    $_30.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 130
  • $_40.JPG
    $_40.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 209
Register to hide this ad
Judging by the quality of the veneer, my suspicion is that they started out as a production model but a previous owner did some driver swapping. In particular, the driver on the right (presumably the tweeter) looks a lot more contemporary than the cabinet.
 
Judging by the quality of the veneer, my suspicion is that they started out as a production model but a previous owner did some driver swapping. In particular, the driver on the right (presumably the tweeter) looks a lot more contemporary than the cabinet.

That one was a bit of a stand out for me too. I noticed the screws don't even go through the mounting holes, The heads just sort of clamp down on the edge of the faceplate.
 
That newer looking tweeter looks like a philips poly dome, good unit but I forget the model number now...

Ahh... I have to agree. I have some speakers with that philips tweeter and come to think of it the model # is stamped on the back in that same "arc" shape.
 
Ok,

I believe the woofers are 60's Jensens. Found a speaker online that looks almost identical but with a much smaller magnet and the mid on the left is Stereo Voice.

Progress ... sort of.
 
If you have room for cabs that size, worth grabbing and maybe replacing the drivers and crossovers for a nice custom speaker.

And the cabs are in gorgeous condition.
 
Back about 1970 I built a pair of big cabinets to house a pair of full range whizzer cone 12 inch speakers made by Federated (I think Chicago). They had accordion cloth surrounds and magnet housings VERY, VERY similar to the ones in your photo. They were efficient, with clean music from my little Sherwood 7100A.

I haven't seen speakers with that name since. Wish I still had them, they were wonderful. I suppose if I had them today and A/B'd them against my Altec Valencias, there's be no comparison, but I still remember Whole Lotta Love sounding really great the night of the release of Led Zeppelin II. Of course, back then our listening was "enhanced," too. I was 21.
 
The cabinets and grill cloth look like vintage Utah. Have you checked the drivers for EIA codes?

Sure did. I actually have a pretty big, high-res pic the seller sent me. I've searched 6 ways from Sunday and no luck. But - like I said earlier, searching using some other criteria I'm 99% sure those woofers are RSC/Jensen. (Radio Speakers of Canada), which makes sense considering where I am.

The ones I found online look identical except the magnet on the ones for sale are easily twice the size.
 
Huh, none of those numbers stamped on the drivers are 3 digits?

Very simple crossover made of very old looking caps. If you get em you'll want to change those out to find out what they really sound like before you decide what to do with them.

Overall the arrangement does look like a lot of 60s-70s walnut veneer heavy cabinet speakers with so-so drivers and not much for a crossover.
 
Back
Top Bottom