• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need help identifying tube amp

Mprater

New Member
641A7286-392A-4E81-B16A-DA8F54198256.jpeg 8CBB37AE-F67E-4FB4-8ABD-464B4172DFD8.jpeg 7B4CDFF8-2196-477A-A351-2D4115EF82AA.jpeg FE83D298-8B58-44A1-AE61-6C57AD273B03.jpeg I have scoured the internet and cannot find any info on this amp. Any help identifying it would be super helpful and greatly appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
What I can find is it was manufactured in 1963. I think it may have been made for Montgomery Ward.
 
Yep. Monkey Wards Airline brand.
You have everything you need to identify it.

Quality wise, it is about average.

Unfortunately with the info I have I am unable to find any info. Searching is a nightmare because airline pulls in tons of stuff about airplanes in a search engine. Lol
 
What more do you want to know?
If you want a schematic, try these guys :
http://www.smcelectronics.com/samsconrec.htm
Thanks so much for replying. I am trying to determine the wattage and specs of the amp. Unfortunately without the amp model number none of that is possible. I apologize for being a noob, i know how it is on these forums... but ai assure you I tried to find as much info as I could on my own prior to resorting to a forum.
 
Thanks so much for replying. I am trying to determine the wattage and specs of the amp. Unfortunately without the amp model number none of that is possible. I apologize for being a noob, i know how it is on these forums... but ai assure you I tried to find as much info as I could on my own prior to resorting to a forum.

Wattage on these 60s console amps are rarely published by the manufacture. I can't read the tube layout by the picture. If it is a PP EL84, you can guess it is about 6 to 8 watts per channel, if it is SE then half of that. At full power you can assume it is about 2% + THD.
I don't know if this helps, but a guess is probably the best you'll get with this one.
 

6Bm8 I am not very familiar with these. But, if I went by "feel" , I'd say 4-6 wpc. This means the speakers are very sensitive, and are likely the best thing in that console. This amp reminds me of some Sylvania models I've ran across. Not to be a jerk, but I wouldn't mess with it unless it is free. It might be a family piece, but I don't want to mince words, it is an average to low quality piece.
 
Last edited:
It is pretty quiet. Is this because it needs to be serviced? Would a tube preamp help boost the signal?
 
Looks like it has 6BM8 triode/Pentode output tubes and I only see two, so single-ended. Possibly 3 - 3.5 watts output. It is not going to be a boom blaster. If the tubes are weak, power supply failing, or/and signal degraded then being relatively quiet would be expected. Maybe when restored and on efficient speakers you will have more from it.
 
agreed on the ~3 wpc

6AU6 is an RF pentode, probably in the IF strip. The dual diode is likely the FM detector.
 
I think this console is a W/G (Wells-Gardner). They built most of the Airline consoles of the era. 3-4 WPC roughly. And restored a nice mellow sound. Not the best but can be nice listening.
 
It is pretty quiet. Is this because it needs to be serviced? Would a tube preamp help boost the signal?

"It is pretty quiet. Is this because it needs to be serviced?" Yes. It will need service. Are you using the "phono in" ? If you use the "phono in" with a high level source it will sound quiet.
" Would a tube preamp help boost the signal?" No. Spend some time here on AK. A preamp ( tube or SS ) is already in the circuit. There is a lot to learn. What is your source? (the source is where the music comes from). Are you comfortable tinkering with electronics?
 
Back
Top Bottom