• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need help identifying tube amp

"It is pretty quiet. Is this because it needs to be serviced?" Yes. It will need service. Are you using the "phono in" ? If you use the "phono in" with a high level source it will sound quiet.
" Would a tube preamp help boost the signal?" No. Spend some time here on AK. A preamp ( tube or SS ) is already in the circuit. There is a lot to learn. What is your source? (the source is where the music comes from). Are you comfortable tinkering with electronics?
Thank you, a service is definately in order. I know a guy, so my lack of ability wont hurt me there.

I love AK and have read so much here, albeit much of it over my head, I am trying to learn. Tinkering is a loose term... i can hook anything up and have a decent understanding of how it works, but I still should stay out from under the hood.. so I know my limitations.

This amps input is not phono. My turntable has line or phono input, only line works so I have to assume the input has a preamp integrated.

Thanks for the response!
 
FYI, you call it an amp but in reality it is what's known as a receiver. A receiver has basically 3 main components to being a receiver.

1) It has a tuner.
2) It has an internal preamplifier with volume and tone controls.
3) It contains a main amplifier output circuit. In this case, the 6BM8 or 6BQ5 tubes.

In my humble opinion, this is not a good candidate for any stand alone use. Nothing really special as it is low wattage on the output side.

Personally, I would refurbish it as a whole. The speakers are matched to it. Plus, if you were to do a total recap, you might be surprised of the sound this little thing puts out.

Do as you wish and have fun doing so. :thumbsup:
 
Your turntable has a built in preamp so you would always want to have it set to "line" when plugging into the phono input of this receiver. The turntable in this console most likely has a ceramic cartridge so the phono input on this receiver acts like a line level input (CD player, tape deck etc.) so aside from any parts being out of spec or needing to be replaced, it would normally be pretty loud if you were to use a CD player, phone, or other some external source in the phono inputs.
 
Your picture shows the chassis as being dull yellow ,if it is so you might have a cadmium-plated chassis that has oxidized .
Cadmiumoxide is toxid be carefull while cleaning it , take safety precautions . Work outside, if possible , wear gloves and dustmask .
More info on the web .
Take care and be safe.
Regards F.
 
All this information is so great, I really appreciate it. So I have a new idea for this but I want to see what you guys think.

I have a great sounding solid state system, but I am a sucker for the warmth of tubes. Is it possible to use the RCA style "external speaker out' as a pre out if I had a speaker to line level converter, then run it into an input on my solid state amp. Essentially make it just a tube pre stage? I may be way off base but it seems logical to me. Should add a little tube warmth to my solid state system.

Next question... is there a trustworthy place on the internet where I can send the receiver in to be checked out and repaired if need be. I am no where close to having the skill or understanding.
 
I got this thing hooked up to my Daytons and man does it sound sweet. I ran a bluetooth adapter into the phono input and it works but the signal is much less than the actual radio signal, so the radio is nice and loud, but the bluetooth is quiet. Is there a way to boost the signal going into the phono input to bring it up to the level of the radio?
 
I got this thing hooked up to my Daytons and man does it sound sweet. I ran a bluetooth adapter into the phono input and it works but the signal is much less than the actual radio signal, so the radio is nice and loud, but the bluetooth is quiet. Is there a way to boost the signal going into the phono input to bring it up to the level of the radio?

Make sure that the volume on your phone/mp3 (whatever you are sending the Bluetooth signal from) is up. ...or since you now have two sources that seem quiet, then this might be evidence that there is something wrong in the preamp stage.

All this information is so great, I really appreciate it. So I have a new idea for this but I want to see what you guys think.

I have a great sounding solid state system, but I am a sucker for the warmth of tubes. Is it possible to use the RCA style "external speaker out' as a pre out if I had a speaker to line level converter, then run it into an input on my solid state amp. Essentially make it just a tube pre stage? I may be way off base but it seems logical to me. Should add a little tube warmth to my solid state system.

Next question... is there a trustworthy place on the internet where I can send the receiver in to be checked out and repaired if need be. I am no where close to having the skill or understanding.

Chances are, the RCA style "external speaker outs" are not pre-outs. I might be wrong though, and you might experience the so called "tube warmth" that folks speak of...:)

Tell us what your closest metropolitan city is, and some might know of an electronics repair nearby you.
 
Make sure that the volume on your phone/mp3 (whatever you are sending the Bluetooth signal from) is up. ...or since you now have two sources that seem quiet, then this might be evidence that there is something wrong in the preamp stage.



Chances are, the RCA style "external speaker outs" are not pre-outs. I might be wrong though, and you might experience the so called "tube warmth" that folks speak of...:)

Tell us what your closest metropolitan city is, and some might know of an electronics repair nearby you.
The phone is all the way up... but good point, the turntable is quiet also, so you are probably right about the preamp stage.

The external speaker outs are probably just that, not a pre out, thats why I asked about the Line level converter.

I am an hour from St. Louis Missouri.

Thank you!
 
I am starting to think I have a one of a kind amp. There is absolutely no finding a schematic for this thing.
 
Next question... is there a trustworthy place on the internet where I can send the receiver in to be checked out and repaired if need be
No there isn't, you would have to send it to an actual place with a physical location. o_O
 
I used the tape output from my solid state to the tube amp. I put some JBL bookshelfs on the tube amp and put my Dayton T652s on my solid state along with a powered sub from Dayton. For a budget system it sounds INSANE. Thanks for all the help!!!
 
I have determined there is no schematics or information for this amp. Chassis 9066 is not a thing on the internet. Airline 9066 doesnt exist. Montgomery Ward 9066 doesnt exist. Valco 9066 doesnt exist. Wells-Gardner 9066 doesnt exist. How is this possible. I cannot even find a different receiver that looks similar. So frustrating.

The amp sounds awesome, I can only imagine how it would sound serviced. Apparently its impossible.
 
I have determined there is no schematics or information for this amp. Chassis 9066 is not a thing on the internet. Airline 9066 doesnt exist. Montgomery Ward 9066 doesnt exist. Valco 9066 doesnt exist. Wells-Gardner 9066 doesnt exist. How is this possible. I cannot even find a different receiver that looks similar. So frustrating.

The amp sounds awesome, I can only imagine how it would sound serviced. Apparently its impossible.

I think you have to go by the Model number (as given at the top left of the tube layout sheet shown above) not the chassis number to find the Sams folder. Tom Bavis identified this above for you as Sams folder 722-5. This should have schematics and data.

Wards Model GAA2034A: SAMS 722-5, Item 4405: https://www.samswebsite.com/en/photofact/details/index/id/4405
Wards Model GAA2054A: SAMS 722-5: Item 4410: https://www.samswebsite.com/en/photofact/details/index/id/4410
 
FEBCB9C5-754E-4117-B16C-3FAD39510396.png Can some one tell me which tubes are power amp and which are preamp. My guess is 6au6 and 6bm8 respectively. I just want to verify first.
 
Back
Top Bottom