• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need Help, New here, Just got some Pioneer DSS-E10

jvb5577

Member
Hello,
My name is Jeff and I just picked up a pair of Pioneer DSS-E10 speakers. They are missing the woofers on both. I found some information on these but not much at all. Seems like the DSS-9 woofer is the same.

My question is what woofer can I use in it while I search for the original?

Any help would be helpful. I am pretty new to vintage audio.

Thanks!

PS here are some pictures!




 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
lol it is funny though it says digital for digital audio. I always find it funny speakers and headphones that have digital on them. if we hear it its analog. now if the speaker or headphone has a dac built inside them then I could see it.
 
Hello Jeff,
welcome to AK. I wish I had those cabinets. I'd certainly be playing my DSS9s more. Unfortunately, the original woofers are rare and hard to find. Keep a search on the bay for them though.

Stan
 
Thanks Stan,

Do I have to stay with the 6 ohm speaker that was in it or can I go a 8 or 4 ohm route? I really want to play these. I tested them and the tweeters and mids work great. I know they had a dual voice coil over too.
 
Jeff,
the original woofers are a dual voice coil type. It's special to the design of this particular, (very high performance speaker). Do a search here to learn more.

Stan
 
Thanks Stan,

Do I have to stay with the 6 ohm speaker that was in it or can I go a 8 or 4 ohm route? I really want to play these. I tested them and the tweeters and mids work great. I know they had a dual voice coil over too.

If you are going to use the same x-over circuitry and L-Pads, unless you want to get into the complicated task of designing new x-overs, then you want to stay with a 12" Dual Voice Coil 6 Ohm woofer, though being dual voice coil it may be 8 Ohms total, not just any woofer. The Pioneer P/N you are looking for is 30-794A (confirm with supplier), checked on the internet and they are around $100.00 each, but not in stock, so they might no longer be available.

You can also call or e-mail Pioneer USA, Parts Express and/or Madisound to see what they recommend and can get for you. It would be helpful if you gave them the inside dimensions of the cabinet or cubic feet, also the diameter and length of the port.

The DSS is a great sounding speaker, and it uses a Be Ribbon Tweeter, which by today's standard must be really expensive. If you find a pair that needs reconing it will still run you some $80.00 each for the job, and you still need to pay freight.
 
Last edited:
Bummer. So it won't be as easy as putting a newer woofer in it? :(

No, it is not that easy with these speakers. The speakers will end up costing you some $320.00 at the end, that is if everything else is in good condition, because if those tweeters are not in good condition the PT-R29A can run you approx. $250.00 each, if you are lucky enough to find them.
 
The diagram says DSS-E9, they may or might not share the same circuitry. Getting into deep waters here.

Not so deep.
All the OP has to do is match up circuitry.
If it's a match, a drop-in replacement could suffice till he finds an original.
 
Congrats on finding an excellent speaker! Your best bet will be finding a pair of DSS-9 woofers that need refoaming. I bought my DSS-9 with the woofers needing a refoam and had Parts Express do it. They did a great job. I really love these speakers.
 
Congrats on finding an excellent speaker! Your best bet will be finding a pair of DSS-9 woofers that need refoaming. I bought my DSS-9 with the woofers needing a refoam and had Parts Express do it. They did a great job. I really love these speakers.

Correction P/N is 30-784A and according to Pioneer's website it is only $591.75 each. Not in stock. Then it was substituted with P/N 30-784S, same price and no longer available.

To complicate matters, there is another woofer that was used in some DSS-9, but not in the DSS-E10, that woofer has P/N 30-786A or 30-786S, and that one can be had for the bargain price of $280.99 each. Pioneer doesn't have them anymore, but Sears Parts Direct does. Are you a gambling man? Do you want to take a $561.98 gamble? Now you know why you got'em at the bargain price of $120.00.

In Japan they were Model S-1800DV, in case you find woofers for that one. The DSS-E10 in the mid 80's were one of the best speakers available. In Aug. 2013 a pair was listed on EBay Canada for US$1,400.00.

Call Parts Express and Madisound, see if they can be of help, they usually are.
 
Last edited:

It looks as if the some of the values and parts numbers of capacitors and coils match the values of the DSS-9 in the diagram I posted.
Make a complete list of values from your crossover and see if it's a match to the DSS-9.
 
Were are you finding this?

In your photos, the coils and capacitors are printed with parts numbers and values, such as coil STH404-a and the capacitor next to it with a 39uf value.
The diagram I posted has these values listed as part of the DSS-9 crossover.
 
Back
Top Bottom