• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need Help, New here, Just got some Pioneer DSS-E10

Sorry, in post #11 of this thread I provided a link which I obtained off the internet.
Click on the link in post 11:)

Thanks I totally missed that! I would rather keep the wiring it is and find a dual coil speaker. Tried looking some up but came up with nothing that was 6 ohm
 
Thanks I totally missed that! I would rather keep the wiring it is and find a dual coil speaker. Tried looking some up but came up with nothing that was 6 ohm

According to the VintageKnob, you need a woofer that plays music up to the crossover point of 650Hz, has two 8 ohm voice coils and has a sensitivity of around 91db, graphite cone is probably a plus.
Google for a 12" dual voice coil woofer and you'll find a bunch of sellers who will. help with particulars, even other AKers will join in...
 
You are awesome!
This whole time I thought it needed to be a 6 ohm speaker with dual coil. There is NOTHING out there.

Thanks for all the help. I am really new to this and am quite lost.. :/
 
Found a little more information on these. It is the Japanese model but I think they are still the same.
http://audio-heritage.jp/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/speaker/s-1800dv.html

Yes, they are the same...See my previous posts.

I am awesome.
Your efforts to find replacement woofers will be an approximation or even better.
Perhaps these might work: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-AUDIO-SELECT-55-1465-/55-1465, for example.

This might actually work and Tubed is right...Your speakers are approx. 2.93 cu.ft. in volume, for the woofers Tubed recommended you need 2.71 cu.ft. volume to obtain 33 Hz with a 4" x 7-5/8"" vent. The recommended enclosure for the MCM woofers are very much in-line with your speakers specs. I would have to say, these are an excellent replacement.

You are awesome!
This whole time I thought it needed to be a 6 ohm speaker with dual coil. There is NOTHING out there.

Thanks for all the help. I am really new to this and am quite lost.. :/

Thought the same....:scratch2: You learn something new everyday.

According to the VintageKnob, you need a woofer that plays music up to the crossover point of 650Hz, has two 8 ohm voice coils and has a sensitivity of around 91db, graphite cone is probably a plus.
Google for a 12" dual voice coil woofer and you'll find a bunch of sellers who will. help with particulars, even other AKers will join in...

The MCM Tubed recommended are your ticket...:thmbsp::banana::yes::music::tresbon:
 
just be patient something will come up keep a lookout on the auction site.put up some pictures of the crossovers ,there are a lot of helpful people around here,you will be listening to them in no time.Also for a dual coil you might need to look at some car woofers.
 
OK I agree looks Like you found a good replacement,told you,lots of knowledge around here(I dont count myself in that group though)I do not know much but I will try and help,you never know you can learn from the simplest of people LOL.
 
That woofer definitely looks like it is worth a try! One nice thing is that the mid and tweeter level controls on the DSS speakers will help with making a good match even of the specs are a tiny bit off.

I look forward to seeing your pictures updates with woofers in them soon! We here at AK do like a follow up shot or two showing the happy ending :D
 
So just to clarify the 8 Ohm dual voice coil coil speaker will make this a 6 ohm system or an 8 Ohm system?

Edit: I am looking at running a Pioneer SX-950 with these. Think that will be good?
 
Last edited:
Try this thread...seems to have some good info.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=528293

I have DSS 9-D. They really are something special.I was lucky,mine only needed refoaming.
Best monkey coffin type speaker I have ever heard.Good enough to make you dislike some of your recordings and equipment. ;)

The DVC woofer is I think...an 8 ohm and a 4 omh coil.The 4 ohm being for the low lows from the EBD circuit.(not absolutely certain but it seems likely)


These woofers are rare.Finding some that somebody would be wiillng to part with will be a matter of real luck and patience.


There is an alternative that in my opinion would work and MIGHT even be one of the only ways you could improve one of these beauties.


Get some 8 ohm polygraphite or similar single VC woofers to fill the hole in the cabinet.Pioneer made some for the S-710,910 and 1010 models.(I have the 910 and 710 models and they are very similar to the DSS line,just not as fancy.

Next get a suitable 4 ohm woofer or subwoofer and build a cab to use as a stand for the DDS E10.Run the wires for the low lows from the EBD circuit out the port on the back and connect them to the 4 ohm woofer.

This should satisfy all the crossovers needs and give you even tighter bass than the speaker had before.

Doubling the cone area might result in a 3 dB increase in bass but maybe not because the current will be split between the two woofers.

If I am remembering correctly,the woofers need to be 91 dB efficient.

Good luck,have fun and dont be afraid to experiment. :music:
 
I do not know if the Pioneer S 710 or 910 woofers are 8 ohms...they may actually be single coil 6 ohm woofers.

My suggestion stands tho...you could use 2 8 ohm and 2 4 ohm woofers to get where you need to be.
(unless the guy in the other thread measured wrong...I doubt he did) :)

You could try to get 2 matching passive subwoofers already built to use as stands...most subwoofers are 4 ohms.The efficiency might be a little low but you could maybe find some with a bit higher efficiency.

A pair of old speaker cabs for 12 inch woofers would be fine...heck,you could even bump the low woofer up to a 15 or 18 inch 4 ohm.

That could be impressive.(hmmmm...this has given me an idea ;)

If you want to really get crazy...get 6 8 ohm woofers and use one in the DSS and wire two 8 ohm woofers together to make 4 ohms.

Triple cone area and 1/3 the excursion. ;)
 
Last edited:
The DVC woofer is I think...an 8 ohm and a 4 omh coil.The 4 ohm being for the low lows from the EBD circuit.(not absolutely certain but it seems likely)





Get some 8 ohm polygraphite or similar single VC woofers to fill the hole in the cabinet.Pioneer made some for the S-710,910 and 1010 models.(I have the 910 and 710 models and they are very similar to the DSS line,just not as fancy.

Next get a suitable 4 ohm woofer or subwoofer and build a cab to use as a stand for the DDS E10.Run the wires for the low lows from the EBD circuit out the port on the back and connect them to the 4 ohm woofer.

This should satisfy all the crossovers needs and give you even tighter bass than the speaker had before.

Doubling the cone area might result in a 3 dB increase in bass but maybe not because the current will be split between the two woofers.

If I am remembering correctly,the woofers need to be 91 dB efficient.

Good luck,have fun and dont be afraid to experiment. :music:

I was thinking the same thing when I asked him match up crossover circuitry, sort of like the Watkins design.
The OP could still try out that MCM dvc woofer and if it did not sound right, use it as one of the pairs.
In fact that woofer may be able to be wired in a 4 or 8 ohm configuration:scratch2:
 
That makes sense that it would be a 4 ohm and 8 ohm coil in the speaker.

I kind of get what you are saying about the speaker setup. I will have the woofer in a different enclosure? If so I would rather just have something to replace the original that could work in the cabinets.

Okay it took me a few reads but I understand what you are saying now. So the four speaker setup will not require a dual voice coil since I will be running the leads to four different speakers. Makes sense. Now I guess the question is finding speakers that will be work?
 
Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing when I asked him match up crossover circuitry, sort of like the Watkins design.
The OP could still try out that MCM dvc woofer and if it did not sound right, use it as one of the pairs.
In fact that woofer may be able to be wired in a 4 or 8 ohm configuration:scratch2:

How would you be able to wire it to a 4 and 8 ohm configuration?
 
I was thinking the same thing when I asked him match up crossover circuitry, sort of like the Watkins design.
The OP could still try out that MCM dvc woofer and if it did not sound right, use it as one of the pairs.
In fact that woofer may be able to be wired in a 4 or 8 ohm configuration:scratch2:

Yes ,you are right it can...actually 4,8, and 16.(8 ohms by using only one VC...the other could be wired to itself and used to cancel out some distortion...like wiring two woofers opposite and installing one of them backwards) :)
 
Last edited:
singledvc8ohmto4ohm8hf.jpg


So this would not be what you guys are thinking right?
 
Okay it took me a few reads but I understand what you are saying now. So the four speaker setup will not require a dual voice coil since I will be running the leads to four different speakers. Makes sense. Now I guess the question is finding speakers that will be work?


Correct...you dont need a DVC woofer if you use 2 or even 3 woofers.

If I had thos DSS E10s this is what I would do...mainly because I already have the 9s and I know how good they are.I wouldnt be able to resist trying to get even more out of them.

Using multiple woofers will decrease excursion related distortion and load the room a little different.It will be a little more realistic. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom