• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New 2 channel gear from Yamaha

I am usually a silver fan but I like that look a lot. If I had that CT-7000 I'd go with a black set up.
If you must have a tuner, how about the T-1. Readily available in black.

YamahaT-1Tuner.jpg
 
Will use the silver-faced CT-7000 in combo with the A-2000. Sure do need to take a better pic of the A-2000. It doesn't look nearly as bad as that flash makes it appear.

DSCN0448.jpg

DoorOpen.jpg
 
Glenn, you have a black CT-7000?!
Well....yes.??? Don't all true Yamahaphiles have one? :D

Hmmm......maybe I'll get the faceplate on the A-2000 stripped and anodized black. That would make it a truly rare beast and the perfect match for the B-2/PX-2/CT-7000/T-2. Might even have to go back to the NS-1000M, which wouldn't be a bad thing.
 
The T-1 is the only tuner I have in action.:music:

I bought it 2 years ago. This is it's auction pic.

Great sounding tuner.
 

Attachments

  • ag_12.JPG
    ag_12.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 31
The Yamaha TX-1000U is also an excellent tuner with very good sound quality and build. It has excellent high input overload capability. I have one and suggest you give it a try as well.

Check out what Tuner Information Center has to say about TX-1000 http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/yamaha.html
 
Sorry, I don't get it.

I'm looking at this photo:

11052007_yamahaAS2000.JPG


The look / design is nothing special to my eye, the front actually looks sparse compared to most vintage integrated amps.

Does look better than a lot of the black gear of the last 20 years, but I don't think it's an especially beautiful retro design.

Just my two cents. Snade

It needs BOTH analogue and Digital VU meters! :D
 
It needs BOTH analogue and Digital VU meters! :D

I like to see amplifiers with at least some sort of indicator to warn me of the onset of clipping, overload, DC at the output (guess you'll know that for sure...when it's too late.)

I see a lot of high end amps with nothing more than a power-on LED.
 
I have to say. Im not a yamaha fan but that tuner does look sweet. Makes the p.o.s. kenwood i have look like the p.o.s. that it is. all digital and what not.
 
I like to see amplifiers with at least some sort of indicator to warn me of the onset of clipping, overload, DC at the output (guess you'll know that for sure...when it's too late.)

I see a lot of high end amps with nothing more than a power-on LED.

All the MX amps have clipping indicators, they would light up when the amplifier clips thereby warning you to back off the volume. The last MX-1 and 2 did away with those unfortunately but to bring both to clipping would take a lot of work.
 
All the MX amps have clipping indicators, they would light up when the amplifier clips thereby warning you to back off the volume. The last MX-1 and 2 did away with those unfortunately but to bring both to clipping would take a lot of work.

Sure, plenty of fine amps like the Yamahas you mentioned have clipping indicators. Some have meters to monitor output, or both.

But I see a trend in 5 figure (and above) amps with nothing more than a power-on lamp.

I wonder why?
 
Yamaha amps have always been minimalist but that doesn't mean they didn't have all the requisite necessities, but Tokyo by Night they were never.

The 5 figure and above amps have to justify their snob appeal by being even more minimals, some of them don't even amp output relays as those are supposed to degrade the sound, guess what, the thump thats caused by them being turned off and the pop when turned down does more damage to your most critical component in the audio chain, namely the speaker.
 
Have to agree with Yamaha1 there, Yamaha amps (even the big ones) never really went crazy with lights. I always thought the red bar indicators were like a power station and actually quite classy- and they could always be turned off. The later MX630/830 etc had a clipping indicator for the L and R and that was handy.
An amp without a protection relay is like a car without seatbelts- and they should be illegal. The only japanese amps I can think of that didn't have relay protection were HK's PM540/650/660 range and they used a mute input to the power amp (not much use if the outputs go huh?) The only other I can think of was that huge marantz power amp that used crowbar SCRs to blow the power fuses if I remember correctly. Inelegant and silly. Relays are more than big enough to handle any power amp.
 
Have to agree with Yamaha1 there, Yamaha amps (even the big ones) never really went crazy with lights. I always thought the red bar indicators were like a power station and actually quite classy- and they could always be turned off. The later MX630/830 etc had a clipping indicator for the L and R and that was handy.
An amp without a protection relay is like a car without seatbelts- and they should be illegal. The only japanese amps I can think of that didn't have relay protection were HK's PM540/650/660 range and they used a mute input to the power amp (not much use if the outputs go huh?) The only other I can think of was that huge marantz power amp that used crowbar SCRs to blow the power fuses if I remember correctly. Inelegant and silly. Relays are more than big enough to handle any power amp.

HK=Harman Kardon, didn't know it was Japanese?
 
Yamaha1, yep as Japanese as it gets, apart from the 'woodbury new york' print on the back of the units above the Made in Japan. There isn't a single characteristic of these units that isn't Japanese, even the brochures from that era are printed in Japan. I love it when Sony put a 'UK tuned' sticker on their amps- basically changed a few rolloff caps HF and LF to give the amps a 'UK sound'. Pure BS if you ask me. As far as I see it, the English invented high fidelity, the Americans supercharged it and the Japanese refined it to perfection.
 
r-j,

Thanks for the update, always thought H-K was all American. The last H-K I owned was the Citation 21 amp which appeared to be US made to me. I never did like its sound or the high current gimmick.
 
Back
Top Bottom