• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New 6L6 amp project

I don't know Dave. That is Keg's department. The 12v has a center tap, so we can pull one leg of the 12v and use the center tap and get 6+volts. I just don't know if we can do that for one of the 12AT7s and the two 807s, then use the other leg of the 12v and the CT for the other 12AT7 and 807s.
 
I don't know Dave. That is Keg's department. The 12v has a center tap, so we can pull one leg of the 12v and use the center tap and get 6+volts. I just don't know if we can do that for one of the 12AT7s and the two 807s, then use the other leg of the 12v and the CT for the other 12AT7 and 807s.

The iron on a lot of organ amps is really made to deliver current 24/7, so you can probably pull a lot of stunts before it squeals... and its fun to be resourceful... and PP is less critical with heater noise or B+ ripple.. but there is no shortage of 6 and 12v fil xformers to be had for the asking. What I'm saying is, if you're building a big amp, don't be shy about adding a dedicated xformer or two for specific tasks.

my two cents
 
Hey T, for this project I am space limited by the design of the base. But I take your point about dedicated xformers. That is something I have been thinking about for a GM70 amp I am planning on building this next winter. Space will not be as much as issue with that project. This Conn xformer is a big mother and I am sure it will work great. Cheers.
 
I just recieved the sockets and plate caps today, along with 25 feet of cloth covered 22 gauge wire. I also talked to an old friend that is one of the best woodworkers I've ever met and he is going to slice the block of wood into boards and do all the dove tailed corners for me. That will happen next week. I am also in a group buy for 8k PP output transformers through Hayboure (SP) so those will be here in a couple weeks. I still have not seen my tubes which where ordered three weeks ago.....but they are coming from the Ukrain (SP). Andyman brought over his portable router tonight so I can finish the block of wood. The more I stair at it, the more cool things I think of to add or do to it. I am thinking that everything will be ready to start building in three weeks. It always takes longer than I think. Cheers.
 
Here is an update: Got the tubes and caps for the power supply. I've got all the dowl rod glued into the boards and will lay up the base stuff tomorrow. I've got the Output xformers ordered so hopefully I will start building in two weeks. Cheers.


IMG_3506.jpg


IMG_3508.jpg
 
20uf, 440v Daytons. I don't know if I will be able to use all of them but they were on sale so what the hey! I don't have the power supply worked out yet.
 
I dropped in this evening and read the thread. Make sure you post pictures of that base you're working on.
 
Hi All, the weather finally got warm enough to lay up all the bits for my base. Here are pics. With this done, I will have my woodworker start cutting and assembling the base next week. It did not go as planned. when I started pouring in the colored epoxy, the wood bits starting floating around and epoxy was gushing in every direction. I had to work fast as the epoxy was setting up as I worked to place all the wood layers in their proper places. The first picture shows the mold with all the bits in place and being smished down with a couple bricks and a heavy steel plate cut from the hull of a WW2 distroyer. The second pic was taken after my wife and I got back from dinner. It was set up enough to pull the bricks and steel off. Cheers.

IMG_3509.jpg


IMG_3511.jpg
 
So what up? You can't just leave us hanging here. How is the progress?coming. Get the amp built? How does it sound?

I am going to start my own 6L6 shortly.

MArk
 
Fascinating!!! Attention captured. As an artist, I appreciate the vision necessary to see the base. That is the easy part for me.
The difficult part is the math/schematic/wiring/everything electrical....
What type/make of epoxy is best for these kind of projects?
Can't wait to see the finished product.:thmbsp:
 
I have the three sides cut and planed waiting to go together. I am using a piece of Purple Heart for the back piece. This pic does not do the boards justis. When you hold them up to the light, all the gaps that were filled with colored epoxy glow that color. So I am going to have some LEDs under the amp. They will go on when the power is turned on. We are waiting for the Heybour transformers. That is ok with me as I got side tracked with these new to me JBL 4530 scoops that I swapped for my Jensen Imperial cabs. Cheers.


IMG_3547.jpg


IMG_3548.jpg


IMG_3520.jpg
 
lookin' cool Dennis,
really like the feel of abstract.
what about box or dove tail joints.
Did you do a thead on those scoops?,
either I, never saw it, or missed i it all together.
 
Thanks Sky. I need to get them assembled as soon as possible as they are starting to worp (sp).
 
Back
Top Bottom