• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New McIntosh products at CES

Ron:

Based on the MA6500 and MA6900 prices, I was guessing that the MA6300 would be $2500 to $2900 (probably closer to the latter number). Any higher than $2900, IMO, the MA6500's sales would be severely hurt.
 
The two models have a different feature set. Usually one would think the less the MA6300 cost the more it would impact the sales of the dearer MA6500.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
I think the MA6300 would have to be around $2499 for it to be a viable product. Any more than this and there would be little point in buying it over an MA6500 and that would alienate those in the entry-level segment this model is being marketed towards.
 
Last edited:
Ron C:

Might the MA6300 have one key feature asked about here often regarding McIntosh integrated amplifiers: (drum-roll...) an input with home-theater bypass?
 
No HT bypass on the MA6300. Anything that says HT or Multi-channel on this type of product damages the credibility and sales. This is for the less is more, straight two-channel market. It does have a cool full sized headphone jack though!

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
Last edited:
ron-c said:
It does have a cool full sized headphone jack though!
Would be fun to retrofit one on my MA6500, I just wonder why the ever put a mini jack on a Mc in the first place ;)

I guess that I'll just have to get a MCD201 to cure that problem ;) If the 201 had a digital input then it would have been a now-brainer, I could have changed the integrated for a McAmp and forget about a seperate pre...

What the hell, I just hope that Mc doesn't stop making such good stuff :music:
 
We had a hard time finding a 1/4" jack that worked well with the glass faceplates and mounted on the boards properly. From now on all new models will use the 1/4" design.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
Ron C:

I couldn't disagree more strongly. I cannot understand how an audiophile (I've been one for over 30 years) would decide against purchasing an otherwise stereo-only quality component because it had a useful HT bypass. The MA6900 and my MA6500 have an input named "Video" on the front panel--does this too "damage credibility and sales"?

Heavens, the C200 and C2200 both have a HT bypass. The feature is even promoted in their product brochures as a selling point. These two preamps have enormous credibility among two-channel audiophiles. The C2200 especially has been a big success with stereo-only audiophiles. This makes no sense to me.

I'm doubly disappointed by this, as I told my wife that, first, if the MA6300 has a HT bypass, we're buying one as it would be a perfect addition to one of our systems. Second, now it will be necessary to answer inquiries countless times here and at Audio Asylum with: "No, the MA6900 and MA6500 do not have a HT bypass, and neither does the new MA6300." I've responded to this question so many times I've lost count, and was hoping to be able to finally answer in the affirmative.

A major letdown...
 
What is a HT bypass? The only thing I would have loved would have been the possibility to put an internal (optional) digital input (a great DAC).

BTW, happy to know that all Mc's will be using "real" jacks from now on ;)
 
Jim:

It is a unity-gain input that allows a preamp or preamp section of an integrated amp to pass through the front left and right (line-level) channels coming from an outboard home-theater processor or receiver. It allows for easy integration of home-theater and high-end stereo components into a single system. The stereo amplifiers thus power the main left and right loudspeakers for both uses and there's never any need to preset the stereo preamp's volume control every time the system is utilized for surround sound. It is very convenient, especially for non-audiophile spouses.
 
Alex, since a amp-input is already available on my MA6500, (if I understand) that would mean putting the little switch (internal pre vs external pre) as a control in front instead.

Could be usefull to bypass the internal pre when using the new MCD201... no HT there ;)
 
Jim:

Yes, a HT bypass setting simply allows one to select--from the front panel--which preamp one wishes to utilize, be it the integrated amp's own preamp section or an outboard HT preamp-processor. An audiophile is thus able to maintain the best possible sonics for two-channel listening plus have a convenient method to switch in his/her multichannel gear for music or movies.

This feature has become very common on high-end preamps in recent years (e.g., Conrad-Johnson, Audio Research, BAT, Pass Labs). A HT bypass also has been included in new integrated amplifiers from other companies (for instance, BAT, Bryston, Arcam, and Bel Canto).

I'm obviously disappointed that McIntosh didn't take advantage of a new model introduction to include it, too. A lot of folks on audio hobbyist forums ask for a HT pass-through feature when they're shopping for two-channel preamps and integrated amplifiers. It would have been great to point them to a McIntosh integrated amp that had it.

Maybe on the next new model.
 
Hi Mr. Ron C,

Would you be able to post a picture of the MCD201 for view? Can't wait to have a view. Thanks.
 
I built a switch a few years back so I could switch HT (Meridian) from 2-channel (Joule-Electra).

I used an Elna switch w/ Cardas wire and RCA's
 
Last edited:
Well, the show just started today...

McIntosh probably didn't want to tip their hand by announcing product on the internet before the trade and press had a chance to see it in person.

VintageMac
 
Nothing on the website, nothing announced at CES, and they missed the Christmas season. Production never quite starts up when you hope it will...
 
Did McIntosh even show up at CES this year? They were listed as exibitors on the CES page where it even mentioned which new products would be shown. Maybe something happened at the last minute. Not a peep out of them. Not even a press release. It would be a huge mistake to blow an opportunity like CES don't you think? Then again coverage of CES has been terrible. Both AVS and Audioholics were supposed to have coverage and there is little if anything posted. Only Engadget has had decent coverage but they don't cover things like specialty audio.
 
Back
Top Bottom