• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New releases, 2015

what can you tell us about it?

(The Decemberists) This album is great. After 3 listens I love it. But IMO, you just need to skip the first 3 songs entirely.

Now if only "Carolina Low" was about 10 minutes long...
 
Last edited:
MI0003827626.jpg


Justin Townes Earle
Absent Fathers

nothing innovative here, it passes the time

after a few more listens, I enjoy it's brevity. Only 31 minutes. Way too many artists throw near 70 minutes on an album which challenges the ADD generation and inevitably leads to too much filler.

Nice spin, still, nothing special though.
 
MI0003820066.jpg


D'Angelo / D'Angelo and the Vanguard
Black Messiah


Nicely done R&B release. AMG gives it 4 1/2 stars, a very lofty rating. User rating give it the same with it's popularity evident by the number of user vote ratings cast.
 
Sam Amidon ~ Lily-O

This is actually an end of 2014 release but I have been enjoying it for the last couple of days. Hard to describe the music, Americana ~ Folk maybe?

I only discovered it because Bill Frisell is on guitar.

MI0003782355.jpg


AMG Review
 
Duke Garwood ~ Heavy Love

Duke Garwood ~ Heavy Love

If you enjoy Chris Whitley and Mark Lanegan you will probably enjoy this. It has a nice swampy blues feel with some tasty guitar.


AMG Review

MI0003834111.jpg
 
MI0003812915.jpg


Young Ejecta
The Planet


This release wears the AMG "Album Pick" banner. I can see why.
It sounds new with "new dance" sounds but not innovative. The MP3 is only $5.99 at Amazon, makes it easy to give a listen.
 
511Mz71Y73L._SX425_.jpg


Symphony No. 4 Hybrid SACD - DSD
Lisa Larsson: soprano (Artist), Het Gelders Orkest (Artist), Gustav Mahler (Composer), Antonello Manacorda: (Conductor)


A wonderful release which was available in the USA on SACD in January.

Lisa Larsson is terrific on this.

AMG gives it the full 5 stars. Hard to argue.
 
Diamond Rugs - Cosmetics

Deer Tick’s John McCauley and Robbie Crowell, ex-Black Lips guitarist Ian St. Pé, T. Hardy Morris of Dead Confederate, Six Finger Satellite drummer Bryan Dufresne, and Los Lobos’ Steve Berlin = Diamond Rugs.

Big Horns with large guitars blend with just the right amount of vocal twang. It's a damn fun jam. :thmbsp:



Diamond Rugs
Cosmetics
 
Last edited:
I am starting this thread to (hopefully) highlight some of the great new music as it is released.

It's only two plus weeks into January and I already found several good recordings.

The first I'll offer up is
Chris Potter Underground Orchestra / Chris Potter
Imaginary Cities

MI0003817603.jpg


Genre, Jazz

All Music gives it 4 1/2 stars (out of 5)

it's a bit experimental but not enough to scare anyone away.
Two bass players are used on this recording, one acoustic, one electric which help form the musics staff

Enjoy!

I have this one on the way as well as the new one from Vijay Iyer "Break Stuff". I will be seeing Mr Iyer perform this Thursday in Eugene.
 
This is actually an end of 2014 release but I have been enjoying it for the last couple of days. Hard to describe the music, Americana ~ Folk maybe?

I only discovered it because Bill Frisell is on guitar.

MI0003782355.jpg


AMG Review

Frisell? Have to check that out.


MI0003812915.jpg


Young Ejecta
The Planet


This release wears the AMG "Album Pick" banner. I can see why.
It sounds new with "new dance" sounds but not innovative. The MP3 is only $5.99 at Amazon, makes it easy to give a listen.

On the list to check out!


I am starting this thread to (hopefully) highlight some of the great new music as it is released.

It's only two plus weeks into January and I already found several good recordings.

The first I'll offer up is
Chris Potter Underground Orchestra / Chris Potter
Imaginary Cities

MI0003817603.jpg


Genre, Jazz

All Music gives it 4 1/2 stars (out of 5)

it's a bit experimental but not enough to scare anyone away.
Two bass players are used on this recording, one acoustic, one electric which help form the musics staff

Enjoy!

Yep, good thread idea and Potter has a lot of good stuff (and ECM continues to put out good material). I liked his last album The Sirens, so I ordered this one.


Whitehorse - Leave No Bridge Unburned (2015)

IskO6ax.jpg



New to me band, they have a few albums/EP's starting in 2011. (Which I will be ordering soon).

This was just released yesterday, and, well, I'm fairly impressed. :yes:

It's sort of like an amalgam of folk, folk rock, indie rock, singer-songwriter and alt-country. The rock keeps it interesting/fairly lively and from being just yet another folk/indie singer-songwriter duo (of which I like much material of, but the vast majority is pretty mediocre and forgettable imo).

I don't think it's an astounding album, but it's a solid very likeable effort that seems will not get tiring any time soon. First listen judgment only though.
 
Frisell? Have to check that out.




On the list to check out!




Yep, good thread idea and Potter has a lot of good stuff (and ECM continues to put out good material). I liked his last album The Sirens, so I ordered this one.


Whitehorse - Leave No Bridge Unburned (2015)

IskO6ax.jpg



New to me band, they have a few albums/EP's starting in 2011. (Which I will be ordering soon).

This was just released yesterday, and, well, I'm fairly impressed. :yes:

It's sort of like an amalgam of folk, folk rock, indie rock, singer-songwriter and alt-country. The rock keeps it interesting/fairly lively and from being just yet another folk/indie singer-songwriter duo (of which I like much material of, but the vast majority is pretty mediocre and forgettable imo).

I don't think it's an astounding album, but it's a solid very likeable effort that seems will not get tiring any time soon. First listen judgment only though.

I just got my copy of Whitehorse today.Whiehorse is Luke Doucet and his wife,Melissa Maclelland. I have all their cds Both have had extensive careers and Doucett has played with Norah Jones and Cowboy Junkies.

Their "Road to Massey Hall" is a cover album of songs by Canadian artists
 
I just got my copy of Whitehorse today.Whiehorse is Luke Doucet and his wife,Melissa Maclelland. I have all their cds Both have had extensive careers and Doucett has played with Norah Jones and Cowboy Junkies.

Their "Road to Massey Hall" is a cover album of songs by Canadian artists

Yes indeed!

I hope their older material is as good as this new one! :thmbsp: What do you think of it?
 
61rIrx-CesL.jpg





I have not heard it yet but it is still on sale at Best Buy for $8.99

Father John Misty I Love You, Honeybear
 
Back
Top Bottom