• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New : Surrounds in a can.

Register to hide this ad
That was considered and appreciated although I'm sure if a roll would have been closer than a can...
 
I wanted to click "Like", but I didn't have it in me. :eek:

Let us know what you do (or don't do) to fix it (or not fix it).
 
That is a first for me. Never saw that used for surround repair.

That foam should be soluble in acetone, so you can probably get it off with some care an patience.
 
I tried to save some Genesis cones that someone had duct taped

I stopped when the paper started coming apart. Both acetone and alcohol did it.

I'm assuming those speakers still have duct tape residue on them today as I didn't feel they were worth reconing or replacing with Human drivers
 
This is way easier then it looks, just use a utility knife blade, and cut the excess,
little by little. I've seen much worst!
 
I'll post some more pics tomorrow maybe, but the foam wasn't terrible and is coming off OK with a Xacto type knife. It's kind of soft and you can squish it. The surround on the other hand has soaked in some of the foam's oils and become a gooey clumpy mess. Scrape a layer off the speaker and you get a little clump on the cone and one on the knife.
It's not bad enough that I'll use anything on the cone, but will on the frame.
One of the voice coils has a much tighter clearance than the other. Much tighter.
I'm hoping it's not damaged too bad and am planning on trying a 30 Hz tone to see what happens. I didn't try any thing before with the cones stuck in place.
 
I misread at first and thought it said "New surrounds in the can" which would have been much cooler. Nothing like a 7.1 throne room.
 
I thought it was a new product, some kind of surround material that comes on a roll. Wouldn't that be nifty for big users of surrounds? :biggrin:
 
I thought it was a new product, some kind of surround material that comes on a roll. Wouldn't that be nifty for big users of surrounds? :biggrin:
That was my click bait, trying to draw in the crowds.

DSCN7077.JPG DSCN7078.JPG

Here's one with the front of the cone done. I did have to use some 182 proof rubbing alcohol to prevent the surround remains from gumming up. It got to the point where I was just smearing it. I got the other front done too. Different paper where the surround was glued, lots of wavy vertical ridges.
I'll be going over the rear again with a new blade before I refoam them, but they'd probably be fine where they're at and I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. The alcohol didn't make much of a difference on the aluminum, different glue?

Bad news is one now has a rubbing voice coil. I could hear a faint scritching with the 30 Hz tone. I'm wondering if it's small enough to let it go. It wasn't regular so I'm thinking there might be a sweet spot.
I'm debating trying shims but am afraid that could damage it more.
I've done some casual looking but the only way I could find a voice coil was a $50 recone kit. May as well try the new foam first.
 
I really did laugh out loud at that. Agreed on the effort, too bad it's such a terrible idea. Good luck on the cleanup.
Coincidentally, not 90 seconds ago, I posted about some RE30's I picked up last night. Foam looks perfect, no cracks at all.

I wonder why some foams just crash and burn and others of the same make\era seem perfect? I'm guessing the environment. Sun, humidity swings - maybe even salt air near the ocean? I don't really know.

EDIT - those do look like the same tweets and mids as on the RE30's. Near as I can tell, the tweets are sharp\bright and masking the midrange. I might put something in front of mine. A little tape or half a ping pong ball. Anything to keep them from hurting my ears.
 
Back
Top Bottom