• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New to me 222 - the venerable triple deuce

Only one for you. :p

You can see my temporary solution for speaker terminals. Have to find a more suitable replacement. Everything works, but switches are scratchy, no surprise there. This has 2sc1030s as outputs, and they look original. A manufacturing variant?
 

Attachments

  • 1782488567311.jpg
    1782488567311.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 29
Only one for you. :p

You can see my temporary solution for speaker terminals. Have to find a more suitable replacement. Everything works, but switches are scratchy, no surprise there. This has 2sc1030s as outputs, and they look original. A manufacturing variant?
Yep one or two of mine have those outputs. God I love the 222. So simple. I have two more to restore, probably going to go to them first instead of all the Luxmans and other Sansuis.
 
Recapping done. Apart from the mfc and the first input caps, every elko was over or near +20% tolerance, most of the them +30-50%. But transistors seem to be in good condition, FE the output betas measured very evenly.
One oopsie: high and low filter switches changed places with each other. Doh!
Other than that, final adjustments to be made, and then some serious listening.
 
Saw this guy on USAM and was intrigued by the mod in the rear:

1782732593001.png


Thinking maybe someone added premain out, I asked the seller if he wouldn't mind snapping a picture, which he kindly sent me:

1782732699016.png



Wha? What purpose could it serve to have the speaker outs also wired as RCA plugs?
 
Saw this guy on USAM and was intrigued by the mod in the rear:

View attachment 3791639


Thinking maybe someone added premain out, I asked the seller if he wouldn't mind snapping a picture, which he kindly sent me:

View attachment 3791640



Wha? What purpose could it serve to have the speaker outs also wired as RCA plugs?
I recall back in the day, really cheap "stereos" had RCA connections for the speakers.
 
Consider me your first pre-order.
Let's see! I'm thinkin solid Sapele with a matte hardwax finish for the first one.

Also, I didn't see this before and because the poster doesn't post here anymore, but someone made a 222 PCB from scratch!

 
Thinking about making some cases. Pondering solid wood vs plywood vs MDF, and pre-veneered vs veneered. Scoured the web for some examples and now that I've seen em, I'm leaning toward solid wood. I have plenty of walnut, cherry, sapele, etc.


Example 1 Ampli vintage Sansui AU-222 SSP coffret bois - son-passion

View attachment 3793225
View attachment 3793226View attachment 3793227



Example 2 Sansui AU-222 restoration
View attachment 3793228


Example 3 View attachment 3793229


Comedy receiver combo option:
View attachment 3793230
Not comedy at all!
That is so shmick! So Zig and Zag!
The only questions being how thick/wide is the timbre surround going to be?!
Too thick, too hot, too clunky looking?
Too thin, too bendy, too unappealing looking?
And the best complimenting colour of the wood and/or veneer used?
Questions, questions...
 
Not comedy at all!
That is so shmick! So Zig and Zag!
The only questions being how thick/wide is the timbre surround going to be?!
Too thick, too hot, too clunky looking?
Too thin, too bendy, too unappealing looking?
And the best complimenting colour of the wood and/or veneer used?
Questions, questions...
Walnut is the classic look - but I think blackface & reddish woods like cherry also look very good.
Definitely doing one for the one I converted into a silverface as well.


I really did NOT like how chunky the 555 I did ended up looking - so my goal is 1/2" solid wood or veneered mdf, +/- vents. May bevel the front in order to give it a thinner profile.

1783235963878.png
 
Walnut is the classic look - but I think blackface & reddish woods like cherry also look very good.
Definitely doing one for the one I converted into a silverface as well.


I really did NOT like how chunky the 555 I did ended up looking - so my goal is 1/2" solid wood or veneered mdf, +/- vents. May bevel the front in order to give it a thinner profile.

View attachment 3795547
Blackface sounds interesting...does it have visible grain and swirls?
 
I lied before, 4/5 of my 222s are restored. But I just got another one. So NOW I'll be able to restore two in tandem. Just as soon as I get this 666 squared away...
 
I lied before, 4/5 of my 222s are restored. But I just got another one. So NOW I'll be able to restore two in tandem. Just as soon as I get this 666 squared away...
Sounds like you scooped the nice one I'd been watching that was suddenly no longer available. :cool: Another one has popped up today, not quite as clean. So, what's the story with the 666, might that one be available in the future? :beerchug:
 
Sounds like you scooped the nice one I'd been watching that was suddenly no longer available. :cool: Another one has popped up today, not quite as clean. So, what's the story with the 666, might that one be available in the future? :beerchug:
The one that popped up today is the one I got.

Working on the 666 starting last night! Will likely take me a while but I'm not keepin it unless it sounds better than a 222..
 
Back
Top Bottom