• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New (to me) Thorens td-124

Thanks for all the info guys!

After some tense moments with very difficult screws I got the motor opene and put a couple drops of the turbine oil on the lower bearing. It wasnt completely dry. I can now happily report that the motor runs! It makes a quiet but noticeable noise while running though. So I assume I should do an actual rebuild of the motor?

Some pics of the motor opened up attached (forgot to take a pic of the part I actually oiled). Will take pics of spindle bearing next. Then I will have a good idea of the parts I will need to order and can start the real build :)

Anything look abnormal in there?

That’s great that it’s running.

You took top and bottom off the motor? There’s considerable information about getting a motor “re-aligned” and running without vibration.


VR
Andy
 
Try lightly tapping the bottom with a small hammer or something like a plastic screwdriver handle while it’s running. It may quite down considerably, but still recommend reading up on the motor, then you can decide the course of action.
 
Try lightly tapping the bottom with a small hammer or something like a plastic screwdriver handle while it’s running. It may quite down considerably, but still recommend reading up on the motor, then you can decide the course of action.

Ok I believe you guys are right (not that I didnt before). While I have it out of the plinth I have it supported by a cardboard box. I believe one of the flaps of the box was in contact with the motor and caused the motor to push up a little and vibrate against the top of the turntable. In a "proper" sized cardboard plinth it is hard to hear it running. And after some light taps it sounds like an electric hum. I can however feel the motor mounts vibrate with my fingers so I think there is more to improve.

Some extra pics attached, let me know if there are any others you would like to see.
 

Attachments

  • 20220207_001727.jpg
    20220207_001727.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20220207_001636.jpg
    20220207_001636.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220207_001502.jpg
    20220207_001502.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 49
  • 20220207_001400.jpg
    20220207_001400.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 51
Lots of decisions ahead…

You have bronze bushing in the shaft well.

The decision to replace bushings should be based on wear, that includes motor bushings. @tnsilver has lots more experience with Thorens motors than I, recommend sending him a message if you have issues, but also recommend theanalogdept.com there’s huge amounts of TD 124 knowledge there.

Didn’t replace my motor bushings, just cleaned and re-oiled the felt washers, but did replace the ball bearing.

Used the Audiosilente gel motor mounts in mine but there’s many options including changing to the longer bolts of the latter model.

With all the detailed information available on these research is the key to avoiding mistakes and making informed decisions.

I’ve immensely enjoyed working on my 124, it’s challenging and fulfilling, not to mention aesthetically pleasing :trebon:


Andy
 
BTW if you do order parts from Audiosilente, use the website store, he ships immediately via FedEx and it gets here in just a couple of days.

First rate service and exceptional parts in my opinion. However considering shipping costs, it’s better to make sure you pick everything you need in one order. Having not followed my own advice, I know of what I speak :oops:
 
BTW if you do order parts from Audiosilente, use the website store, he ships immediately via FedEx and it gets here in just a couple of days.

First rate service and exceptional parts in my opinion. However considering shipping costs, it’s better to make sure you pick everything you need in one order. Having not followed my own advice, I know of what I speak :oops:

OK thanks, I'm glad I didn't click "Buy it now" :) My first goal is to get it working as-is and enjoy it for a bit "stock" to evaluate what else it needs (and maybe some stuff I just want) and do some reading. For now I think all I need is a new belt and some tonearm wire for the Castagna.
 
OK thanks, I'm glad I didn't click "Buy it now" :) My first goal is to get it working as-is and enjoy it for a bit "stock" to evaluate what else it needs (and maybe some stuff I just want) and do some reading. For now I think all I need is a new belt and some tonearm wire for the Castagna.

Sounds like a plan, started mine stock after it was lubed, well almost stock. Initially changed the platter well end cap and replaced the ball bearings, used Audiosilente bronze cap and his replacement ball bearings.

My idler was very good considering it’s age, but went ahead and ordered the new version from Audiosilente for future use. Will also get my idler guy to make a Delrin version, he’s made me idlers for several different machines and they have always been top notch however that’s just for my curiosity ;)

Keep us posted on the progress,

Andy
 
A bit off topic but does he happen to make idlers for Dual turntables as well?

Also while I am typing, I scared myself earlier that my motor was running backwards (which did happen in my td 125). It spins counter clockwise. After thinking about it for a bit I think ultimately the idler will turn clockwise and spin the platter clockwise. Correct?
 
A bit off topic but does he happen to make idlers for Dual turntables as well?

Also while I am typing, I scared myself earlier that my motor was running backwards (which did happen in my td 125). It spins counter clockwise. After thinking about it for a bit I think ultimately the idler will turn clockwise and spin the platter clockwise. Correct?

Really don’t think you have anything to worry about…

Don’t think he has Dual idlers for sale but he’s made all kinds for me so if you can’t find one let me know and I’ll send you his contact information.
 
Really don’t think you have anything to worry about…

Don’t think he has Dual idlers for sale but he’s made all kinds for me so if you can’t find one let me know and I’ll send you his contact information.

ok thanks, will do. tonight i decided to try again to oil the top bearing better. this time i was also more careful about reassembly. tightened screws in small increments one at a time and tried to align top and bottom plates to get a free spin. now it is whisper quiet and will spin a good 7 to 8 seconds after i turn it off. tomorrow will move on to clean some of the light oxidation off the botton pieces.
 

Attachments

  • 20220207_212703.jpg
    20220207_212703.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220207_212647.jpg
    20220207_212647.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220207_212653.jpg
    20220207_212653.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220207_205957.jpg
    20220207_205957.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Like
Reactions: T68
A bit off topic but does he happen to make idlers for Dual turntables as well?

Also while I am typing, I scared myself earlier that my motor was running backwards (which did happen in my td 125). It spins counter clockwise. After thinking about it for a bit I think ultimately the idler will turn clockwise and spin the platter clockwise. Correct?
You can get a dual specific idler from audio vault. I've used their product on a 1019 and a 1229. Very satisfied!

https://audiovault.ca/shop/
 
now it is whisper quiet and will spin a good 7 to 8 seconds after i turn it off.
Opt for 15 seconds minimum after a motor heat up period. What's with the white residue? Is that fiber from a white cloth? It looks like soap flakes, which are the tell tale sign of aluminum oxidation (basically alu rust), except I can't think of where aluminum is to be found in there. I don't know what that is but it got in the bearing well. This needs to be cleaned, preferably IPA washed out, and then re-lubed.
 
Opt for 15 seconds minimum after a motor heat up period. What's with the white residue? Is that fiber from a white cloth? It looks like soap flakes, which are the tell tale sign of aluminum oxidation (basically alu rust), except I can't think of where aluminum is to be found in there. I don't know what that is but it got in the bearing well. This needs to be cleaned, preferably IPA washed out, and then re-lubed.


Good eye….Looks like it’s been in a very damp environment?
 
FYI Many of the parts on a TD-124 are cadmium plated. That plating oxidizes into a white powder which is highly toxic.

Most restorers will remove it in an acid bath. If you try and brush it off you will likely inhale it and expose yourself to possible nerve damage.

I’ve recently acquired a TD-124 myself and had it completely restored including the acid bath.
It’s a beautiful machine.
 
Not sure about the white residue in the bearing well, I looked at it with a magnifying glass and didnt see that until you pointed it out in the picture. Maybe just a reflection on bubbles? And yes I do believe it was stored in a damp environment.
 
FYI Many of the parts on a TD-124 are cadmium plated. That plating oxidizes into a white powder which is highly toxic.

Most restorers will remove it in an acid bath. If you try and brush it off you will likely inhale it and expose yourself to possible nerve damage.

I’ve recently acquired a TD-124 myself and had it completely restored including the acid bath.
It’s a beautiful machine.

Interesting about cadmium, do you have any other info/links on which parts?
 
Bought it that way? I spent last night polishing the faceplate of mine. Cleaned up better than I thought it would but far from perfect.
 
Back
Top Bottom