• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New (to me) Thorens td-124

I’ll add one—seek out someone more skilled and ask questions

When my (new to me) TD-124 started to slow down after 1 side, I thought it was the motor.
I rebuilt the motor, that wasn't it.
I thought maybe the belt, that wasn't it.
I tried different lubricants, that wasn't it.

I fell asleep during an album side and when I awoke, the platter had seized. I suspected the Nylatron main platter bushings so I reached out to an Engineering Materials Forum where I got my answer. The material Nylatron expands as it heats up. It's useful as a drawer slide, not so good for spindle bushings. Friction from the turning spindle expanded the Nylatron bushings until they seized the spindle.
Replaced them with Sintered Bronze and all is well.

The internet is a great tool.
 
Back
Top Bottom