• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New (to me) Thorens td-124

Tonearm is ready finally. I decided to skip the wiring in the existing headshell but keep it so I can snap in and out the cartridge. In keeping with my "spend no money til I've heard it" philosophy I diy'ed some cables using some cardas slvr jacks and some coax I use for rca cables. Not sure how it will sound but looks cool. Also took some time to re-polish with more care this time.
 

Attachments

  • 20220224_222218.jpg
    20220224_222218.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220224_222210.jpg
    20220224_222210.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220224_222205.jpg
    20220224_222205.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220224_222157_HDR.jpg
    20220224_222157_HDR.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 15
Tonearm is ready finally. I decided to skip the wiring in the existing headshell but keep it so I can snap in and out the cartridge. In keeping with my "spend no money til I've heard it" philosophy I diy'ed some cables using some cardas slvr jacks and some coax I use for rca cables. Not sure how it will sound but looks cool. Also took some time to re-polish with more care this time.

Looks like a good solution, how close are you to spinning vinyl with it?
 
So close! I lost some time because while reading some other threads I realized I installed the part that connects the speed selector to the pulley height adjustment (sorry dont know the actual terms yet) upside down. I have the cart installed in the headshell and the arm back on the table. Had to stop for the night.
 

Attachments

  • 20220225_001607.jpg
    20220225_001607.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220225_001615_HDR.jpg
    20220225_001615_HDR.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220225_001618.jpg
    20220225_001618.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 21
This was the upside down piece. While under the table I also noticed oil around the spindle bearing.
 

Attachments

  • 20220224_224553.jpg
    20220224_224553.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220224_224111_HDR.jpg
    20220224_224111_HDR.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 19
And spinning! No amp yet but I installed an old d2000-q stylus and I can clearly hear Elvis Costello. Tomorrow I will install my new lp gear d1800-s and hear it for real.
 

Attachments

  • 20220225_014547.jpg
    20220225_014547.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220225_014617.jpg
    20220225_014617.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Like
Reactions: T68
Sounds great with the real stylus and a yamaha ca-610 mkii that I use for testing. Going to run it like this for a bit to make sure there are no kinks before hooking it up in one of my other systems.

There is zero audible noise coming through the wires / amp from the turntable. However if I put my ear up to the spinning platter I can hear a faint whir. I have to be listening for it but seems there is room for improvement. I think some of it has to do with little raised dots on the stepped pully. Will have to do some reading on other threads about ways to quiet the 124. Happy to hear it playing for real for the first time though!
 

Attachments

  • 20220225_145238_HDR.jpg
    20220225_145238_HDR.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 26
This was the upside down piece. While under the table I also noticed oil around the spindle bearing.

Yeah, that bottom cap is a definite weak point. I suffered with a leaky one for ages, trying different gasket materials etc., until I finally broke down and bought a thick brass cap from Woodsong Audio. What an improvement! Not only does it not leak, but friction was significantly reduced and spin-down time went way up. Highly recommended upgrade.
 
My original didn’t leak, but one can envision a benefit from the brass/bronze aftermarket replacements just by looking at them….as stated in one of my previous posts, didn’t have to use any type of sealant with the Audiosilente replacement other than the gasket, no leaks.

VR
Andy
 
My original didn’t leak, but one can envision a benefit from the brass/bronze aftermarket replacements just by looking at them….as stated in one of my previous posts, didn’t have to use any type of sealant with the Audiosilente replacement other than the gasket, no leaks.

VR
Andy

ok, bottom cap on my list. i think a more modern plinth and a solid dust cover also. i'm beyond overjoyed that i was able to use the tonearm and at least the cartridge. the rewired Castagna is working well.
 
It’s always very satisfying to refurbish something, especially when it’s a high quality piece :trebon: not to mention being able to say, did that myself :thumbsup:

If and when you order from Audiosilente, make sure you order everything you want at one time like ball bearing and such and recommend you do it from their website, much faster response and shipping. Received my order in just 2 or 3 days.
 
You were very correct about Audiosilente. I finally got back to my 124 after working on a bunch of other amps and turntables. Ordered new bottom cap, motor mounts, belt, a new long bolt to mount to plinth, new
"dials" for height control (still can't believe I dropped mine in the garbage disposal), new mushrooms, and a new plinth from Moldovia. Also, on the boring side 3-in-one 20wt oil and a better power cord. Still working through the new parts but looking forward to having it running again :) If nothing else the new end cap looks beautiful!
 

Attachments

  • 20220913_235026.jpg
    20220913_235026.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 8
Does anybody know what these little holes are in the stepped pulley? I'm fairly positive i can hear some vibration from them. In fact I'm not sure they are holes, they almost seem like little pieces of rubber stuck to the pulley. But they are so perfectly placed that i have to believe it is something else.
 

Attachments

  • 20220914_001200.jpg
    20220914_001200.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I tried with simple alcohol and they did not come off easily. you can see some skid marks but isn't there a dot on the left side? it feels raised to my fingers. i thought old belt gunk too but how would it be on the exact same location on both steps of the pulley? there would never have been a belt in place on both steps at the same time right?

I thought maybe somebody tried to drill a hole to balance it?
 
Sorry. I should have said 'idler gunk'. The belt never reaches those steps. There's nothing raised, etched or carved on those steps. Whatever it is, it shouldn't be there. If the stepped pulley was balanced by the factory, it was done on the underside, not where the idler wheel engages.
 
I guess it could make sense if it hadnt rotated in a while and somebody switched speeds over the years. Anyway, thanks now I can confidently try to remove it without worry that it is important.
 
I'd be really careful removing whatever that is, I wouldn't want to create a "flat spot" on the surface.

I can't help but wonder what caused an odd injury like that and if anything else was knocked askew.

Do you have a dial indicator to check the stepped pulley's runout? One if those "stupid good" tools I have, every once and a while it gets use.
upload_2022-9-14_21-21-30.png

You'll need a magnetic base.

upload_2022-9-14_21-24-50.png
 
i dont yet! i tried tonight to lightly scrape with my fingernail and q-tip with alcohol. The "skid mark" cleans off but the little dots are still there. it really feels like a raised edge as if somebody drilled it. I too am worried about using anything more abrasive on it to smooth it out.
 
Back
Top Bottom