• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New (to me) Thorens td-124

If the pulley runs true with no runout, I wonder if a machine shop could dress the surface on a lathe?

BTW- Good eye spotting that.
 
I ended up using a flat blade screw driver to very carefully scrape it off. It still wasnt easy but eventually I got it off to the point where I couldnt find it to take a picture and cant feel it anymore. No noise while it's spinning.

I also took the opportunity to try to improve the vibration of the motor by removing the back and resetting it. Then slowly tightening each screw as I listened to it rotate. It still vibrates a bit but with the new mounts I think it is negligible.

Next I decided to try to raise the ... half circle thing that pushes up the outer platter ... because mine scraped while it was lifted and the inner platter turned. Those nuts were hard to turn but eventually I got it. Nice and quiet now when the platter is lifted.

Then, finally I installed the new mushrooms and knobs and dropped it into the new plinth! Milestone moment.

The plinth is honestly much bigger than I thought and very heavy. I would probably order the shorter version if I could do it again. Still looks cool though and adds a modern touch.

Before I started phase 2 work you could hear the motor, pulley and idler turning. Now I can't detect any sound at all.

Next is to remount the tonearm to the original board. I decided not to cut up the new board yet since I will probably invest in a new tonearm at some point.
 
Finally back together with the Castagna tonearm. Took some time to setup the Castagna and I still dont think I have it perfect.

Had a ground problem when I first listened to it ao I had to ground the chassis and the tonearm. Now it is perfectly quiet except for a quiet rumble from speakers with the motor running and needle on the record.

It sounds amazing! I dont think I've ever heard "vertical" space from any source material before.
 

Attachments

  • 20220920_181802.jpg
    20220920_181802.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 12
Nice, what kind of plinth is that? Is it from the guy in Moldova?

I think phase 3 will be to replace the motor bushings, idler wheel, and take a look at the stepped pulley again. Maybe just order a new one. And a dust cover. Though I like how yours is protected without a bulky cover.
 
Nice, what kind of plinth is that? Is it from the guy in Moldova?

I think phase 3 will be to replace the motor bushings, idler wheel, and take a look at the stepped pulley again. Maybe just order a new one. And a dust cover. Though I like how yours is protected without a bulky cover.

I don't remember who or where I bought my plinth from, it was a few years ago. Definitely not like the current offerings from Moldova which are layered, my plinth is hollow and is stamped "Made in Switzerland". Its compact design fits in my cabinet.

I've kept my turntables in a cabinet since I became a parent. Kids are curious and can be careless.
At this point it's just easier for me to deal with than a dustcover.

PXL_20220921_030157685.jpg

One turntable is for play, the other is for showPXL_20220921_030045955.jpg
 
I don't remember who or where I bought my plinth from, it was a few years ago. Definitely not like the current offerings from Moldova which are layered, my plinth is hollow and is stamped "Made in Switzerland". Its compact design fits in my cabinet.

I've kept my turntables in a cabinet since I became a parent. Kids are curious and can be careless.
At this point it's just easier for me to deal with than a dustcover.

View attachment 2669424

One turntable is for play, the other is for showView attachment 2669427

Makes a lot of sense.
 
I don't remember who or where I bought my plinth from, it was a few years ago. Definitely not like the current offerings from Moldova which are layered, my plinth is hollow and is stamped "Made in Switzerland". Its compact design fits in my cabinet.

I've kept my turntables in a cabinet since I became a parent. Kids are curious and can be careless.
At this point it's just easier for me to deal with than a dustcover.

View attachment 2669424

One turntable is for play, the other is for showView attachment 2669427

Rich:
That’s a very fine cabinet, :thumbsup: especially coupled with your fantastic array of equipment….

One of these days I’m going to build one with a glass font to hold 2 or 3 tables, but that’s down the road a far piece and the Lord may call me home before a sketch of it is put to paper:rflmao: However there’s concept rattling around in my noggin ;)

VR
Andy
 
Andy,
I bought those cabinets right after my 2 year old son plucked the cantilever from my Grado Signature 8. He's 34 now and knows I'll never forgive him!
But when given lemons we make lemonade... so I upgraded to the Sonata series and couldn't be happier, except for the rabbit hole I went down.

Anyway, I like the idea of a component cabinet on wheels so I can get behind it.

You're a talented woodworker, have you ever used dovetail joinery? I didn't have the time to build my 124's plinth, but years ago I built a cabinet to hold my CD collection using a Leigh dovetail jig. The carcass is so strong, it slid down my stairs and crashed while I was moving it. No damage at all.
I glued up the panels using long boards so I could wrap the grain. I have 6 drawer faces, just never bothered to attach them because it's so functional as is.
That'll be a project for when I retire. PXL_20220921_192316108.jpg PXL_20220921_192426866.jpg
 
Last edited:
Andy,
I bought those cabinets right after my 2 year old son plucked the cantilever from my Grado Signature 8. He's 34 now and knows I'll never forgive him!
But when given lemons we make lemonade... so I upgraded to the Sonata series and couldn't be happier, except for the rabbit hole I went down.

Anyway, I like the idea of a component cabinet on wheels so I can get behind it.

You're a talented woodworker, have you ever used dovetail joinery? I didn't have the time to build my 124's plinth, but years ago I built a cabinet to hold my CD collection using a Leigh dovetail jig. The carcass is so strong, it slid down my stairs and crashed while I was moving it. No damage at all.
I glued up the panels using long boards so I could wrap the grain. I have 6 drawer faces, just never bothered to attach them because it's so functional as is.
That'll be a project when I retire. View attachment 2669823 View attachment 2669824

Rich:

That’s some really outstanding work:trebon:

Yes dovetails are a right of passage as a woodworker, my ability to do them quickly and competently was due to Rob Cosman, and a week long handtool woodworking course he hosts for wounded warriors, it’s called the” Purple Heart Project “ here’s some of mine, all by hand…

Amp rack
5F228D30-3CE3-4680-8E80-452D410B43DB.jpeg


Big ones
B97F6A7C-01EB-4A19-AE52-EFBD3782F83F.jpeg

Tool cabinet
2EB7FA79-D9CF-4FB2-B242-F391D03B6554.jpeg

Use dovetails for all the drawers I build so probably have done thousands by now…

VR
Andy
 
Rich:

Thanks, but honestly believe that if I can do it then most can accomplish it with a little help/practice. One thing of note is that Rob Cosman teaches Dovetails in one day, and that to some that have no woodworking experience, I’ve seen it done…..

Plus I’d also like to live closer to some of the people I’ve meet on AK:thumbsup: i’d be glad to exchange skill knowledge, because i’d be the beneficiary in most cases;)


Andy
 
Is there some psychological link between being a woodworker and owning a TD124? The world may never know...

Nice work, fellas. Here's some of mine.

20191012_132444.jpg 20191024_162934.jpg Wd4qq8ykSWimvwJ2bjJzBg.jpg

The curved dovetails on my stacked plinth were done using a new (to me) technique with a jig on the table saw. The cherry splines on the corners of my rolling stereo rack go all the way through the joints for support. The compound cuts on the corners were a fun challenge.

Andy, I love my workbench, but yours is a thing of beauty!

As proof of the saying "If your husband says he'll do something, there's no need to nag him about it every 6 months", my current project is a cherry nightstand/chest to match the first one I built 20-some years ago. :rflmao:
 
@Lapslah I’m always humbled by accolades from others, especially when they are just as talented, or in most cases, more talented than I :oops:

That’s some fine work,you’ve done there and pushed your comfort level? You may also be right about some correlation between woodworking and the TD124;)


The workbench was a monumental accomplishment for myself, and the end result is way above my abilities, not sure how I accomplished the task but it took me over a year to finish. It’s 10 feet long, made from reclaimed wood out of our 1905 home refurbishment, and the total weight is well over 1000 pounds.


My regards to all, didn’t mean to take the thread off track,


Andy
 
"If you can't buy it, build it"

I've learned two things from woodworking that I've applied to this hobby (audio).
1. Measure twice and cut once.
2. Know when to call it a day before I ruin something.
 
Last edited:
"If you can't buy it, build it"

I've learned two things from woodworking that I've applied to this hobby (audio).
1. Measure twice and cut once.
2. Know when to call it a day before I ruin something.

Very wise :thumbsup:

I’ll add one—seek out someone more skilled and ask questions

VR
Andy
 
Back
Top Bottom