• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Nice console system in Elmhurst IL

Status
Not open for further replies.
SA-300-b

After some light dusting 99% of lettering intact. Plate voltages @ 396/395/396/396. Don't know if that's correct as I need to do some researching. Sure sounds nice with some Ricky Lee Jones and Jack Johnson.

It was originally hooked-up with the negative speaker wires on the GND, not the COM. This correct?

What type of circuit is it? UL, Williamson, Fishers magic?
 

Attachments

  • Picture 017.1jpg.jpg
    Picture 017.1jpg.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 56
  • Picture 018.1jpg.jpg
    Picture 018.1jpg.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Picture 019.1jpg.jpg
    Picture 019.1jpg.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Picture 020.1jpg.jpg
    Picture 020.1jpg.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Picture 016.1jpg.jpg
    Picture 016.1jpg.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 55
PresidentVIIIX-Ray.jpg


From Fisher's 1963 Stereophonic Radio-Phonograph Catalog:

The FISHER President VIII has from its inception been designed to represent the finest instrument it is possible to build, regardless of cost. No effort has been spared - in its engineering, in its cabinet designs, in its incredible flexibility of use, in the sheer magnificence of its every aspect. The FISHER President is always the focal point of any room in which it is placed, not only something to see, but something to hear and enjoy as no other instrument in the world.

The President VIII features 45 tubes, 16 diodes, five rectifiers, a ninety-watt stereo amplifier and a total of eight loudspeakers. These comprise two twelve-inch heavy-duty bass units, two pairs of matched mid-range speakers and two special hemispherical, wide-angle high frequency speakers. Precise tuning is assured by the d’Arsonval meter. The electrical equipment is built on three separate chassis of massive construction. The automatic turntable is the professional-quality MIRACORD unit, featuring push-button operation and a studio-quality magnetic cartridge.

The FISHER President consoles are available in Modern and French Provincial designs. In the choice of the heavy-section panels used, in the development of every feature of appearance, in the careful unhurried techniques used in fishishing them, these consoles are examples of all that is best in the cabinet maker’s art. The timeless beauty will remain an inspiration and source of pleasure for unnumbered years ahead.


OUTSTANDING FEATURES OF THE PRESIDENT VIII​

HIGH-SENSITIVITY FM, AM AND FM-MULTIPLEX TUNER - For monophonic and Stereo FM-Multiplex broadcasts. FM: Synchrode RF stage of unsurpassed sensitivity enables clear reception of even the weakest signals. Five IF amplification stages for extremely high gain. Wide-Band ratio detector. Exclusive STEREO BEACON shows instantly whether or not a station is broadcasting in Stereo-FM Multiplex and automatically switches from monophonic to stereophonic operation. AM: High-gain ferrite antenna. Three-position Bandwidth switch. D’Arsonval tuning meter for precision tuning of AM and FM.

FISHER 90 WATT STEREO CONTROL AND POWER AMPLIFIER - 90 watts of Music Power, completely free of hum, noise and distortion at all listening levels. The exclusive FISHER full-range Remote Control balances and controls volume from remote location. Push-button program selector. Jewel-lighted, mode selector switch is visible from any listening position. Three-Way Speaker Selector Switch. Connections for FISHER SPACEXPANDER®, Model K-10.

MIRACORD FOUR-SPEED AUTOMATIC TURNTABLE - Provides professional quality push-button operation. Pickering high-compliance magnetic cartridge. Diamond LP Stylus. Dynamically-ballanced six-pound turntable completely eliminates wow and flutter. Automatically shuts off after last record has been played.

AMPEX TWO AND FOUR-TRACK STEREO/MONO TAPE RECORDER - Two-Speed operation. Three separate heads for erase, record and playback. Direct monitoring. Playback and Record Level controls. Recording Level Meter. Tape footage indicator. Stereophonic Duplex microphone makes home recording easy.

TWO INDEPENDENT SPEAKER SYSTEMS - Eight Speakers. Two high-compliance, high-efficiency twelve-inch bass units, four mid-range, and two hemispherical, high-frequency dome-type tweeters. Total of four LC-type crossover networks for smooth transitions between different frequency ranges. Provision for connection the FISHER Wide-Surround® speaker, Model WS-1.

CABINETRY AND DIMENSIONS - SUPERB MODERN consoles in Walnut, 77 1/2” wide, 20 3/4” deep, 33” high. PROVINCIAL consoles in Fruitwood, 77 3/4” wide, 21 3/8” deep, 33 1/2” high.

The 1963 Fisher Consoles:​

1963FisherConsoles.jpg
 
Why oh why did I not see this thread until today? ??? I'd love to have that sitting right beside me as I type. That is a nice setup, seriously nice. I even had that Friday off. Ok, so I have an SA-300b and 400c but not a 400cx and not in the President console, and they don't look nearly that nice. And a man can be cruelly greedy when it comes to Fisher tube gear, no?
 
Good stuff! I'd like to find the TT that goes with it just to make it complete. I currently use an Empire 298 and Thorens TD-124 so they do fit right-in with this era.
 
You certainly could do worse than putting one of those two turntables in there, if they'll fit without hacking it up.
 
Good stuff! I'd like to find the TT that goes with it just to make it complete. I currently use an Empire 298 and Thorens TD-124 so they do fit right-in with this era.

ELACs aren't that uncommon. Tracking down the right Ampex tape deck might be a bit harder.

You certainly could do worse than putting one of those two turntables in there, if they'll fit without hacking it up.

I don't think I'd use the unsuspended 298 in there. In a console drawer, a suspension is a good thing.
 
A TD-124 with a Grace G-714 and a Denon DL-103D or DL-103R (and appropriate step-up transformers) would be magical with that setup...

-D
 
If you DO find a 10H, the color is wrong. It'll need a paint Job to eggshell, and a "THE FISHER" Sticker on the Tonearm weight, or the lettering silkscreened on. That will get you a repro 10F. If you find a 65 or 66 FISHER with an Miracord 10F you're set. I took the 10F out of my FUTURA VI (Bad switch) and dropped a 50H in. Plug and Play. Most all of the Miracords will fit with minor or no cutting. The Headshells are removable on the 10F/H's and the 50H has a vernier adjustment for the cartridge. But they aren't interchangable. DAMN!!

Larry



Larry
 
A TD-124 with a Grace G-714 and a Denon DL-103D or DL-103R (and appropriate step-up transformers) would be magical with that setup...

-D

Have a 103R/Grace G-840FB/Cinemag SUT's but it's down for the moment. The G-714 is but getting real pricey. I should have grabbed one a few years ago when they were reasonable.
 
Have a 103R/Grace G-840FB/Cinemag SUT's but it's down for the moment. The G-714 is but getting real pricey. I should have grabbed one a few years ago when they were reasonable.

That'd work in a pinch. :thmbsp:

-D
 
I Don't Have Room For It.


I don't have room in my house for this console. I'm keeping the preamp and amplifier but I don't need the R-200 am/fm tuner. The console is in great shape with all the wiring intact and the speakers. I'll let it go for $250 (with tuner) but you have to pick it up. No TT inside the unit. It's 77" long and probably weights 200lbs or more- a four man job. It needs to be picked-up this weekend in Elmhurst or it will go out with the trash.:tears: The estate sales guys will help load it. I'm new to this forum and I hope someone local can grab this piece of Hi-Fi history.
 
Hey qman,
Do you know if that lesser grail stand from post #40 in this thread is a speaker column or not?
Sorry you can't keep it. I understand as one who lives in a small house though.
I'm surprised nobody's said "can you ship me the guts that are left such as speakers, grille cloth, etc".
 
Hey qman,
Do you know if that lesser grail stand from post #40 in this thread is a speaker column or not?
Sorry you can't keep it. I understand as one who lives in a small house though.
I'm surprised nobody said "can you ship me the guts that are left such as speakers, grille cloth, etc".

I didn't notice the stand when I was there.

I'm going to put it on ebay for local pick-up by tomorrow morning if no one here claims it. If this goes to to scrap heap I'll be sick about it.
 
I have the matching preamp (well, a 400c) and amp already but no way to get it downtown, nobody that can help lift it, and my weekend is booked.
 
I have the matching preamp (well, a 400c) and amp already but no way to get it downtown, nobody that can help lift it, and my weekend is booked.

Seems you guys need to get together, & hire those college kids. :yes:
 
Wow we finally find the ultimate fisher console and it is being parted out:tears:

Believe me I'm agonizing over this. Christ this is Avery Fisher. Avery Fisher Hall. Who's the new Fisher Doctor anyway??? Talk me into keeping it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom