• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

North Carolina anyone?

Hi to the others in N.C. Can anyone recommend a reliable tech in the Raleigh area or points south? I need help with a Marantz 2235b. About 10 minutes into playing, it makes this sound (cover your ears):

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

Horrible, nonstop noise from both speakers, and volume control does nothing to stop or dampen it.

I live in Wilmington. A local tech here told me over the phone that it might be a transistor and to check with him in a couple of months. I did. Then he didn't respond to three e-mails and a follow-up phone call. Maybe he's busy, or maybe he doesn't want to be. Either way, I need to find someone who can fix the problem and respond like a professional. I'm willing to drive to get to the right person for the right service.

By the way, I'm aware of The Analog Store, but as I understand it, Alex is taking only McIntosh gear now.

Thanks much.
 
Hi to the others in N.C. Can anyone recommend a reliable tech in the Raleigh area or points south? I need help with a Marantz 2235b. About 10 minutes into playing, it makes this sound (cover your ears):

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

Horrible, nonstop noise from both speakers, and volume control does nothing to stop or dampen it.

I live in Wilmington. A local tech here told me over the phone that it might be a transistor and to check with him in a couple of months. I did. Then he didn't respond to three e-mails and a follow-up phone call. Maybe he's busy, or maybe he doesn't want to be. Either way, I need to find someone who can fix the problem and respond like a professional. I'm willing to drive to get to the right person for the right service.

By the way, I'm aware of The Analog Store, but as I understand it, Alex is taking only McIntosh gear now.

Thanks much.

There is a guy arnel b on the marantz pages on Facebook I believe he’s in New Jersey and seems to be a really good and reasonable priced marantz tech. He is doing a lot of restorations for people now. They are really easy to ship. Let me know if you need help with packing because I have shipped many much heavier amps with knobs all over the country. I’m semi local but too many projects to complete right now. Good luck.
 
There is a guy arnel b on the marantz pages on Facebook I believe he’s in New Jersey and seems to be a really good and reasonable priced marantz tech. He is doing a lot of restorations for people now. They are really easy to ship. Let me know if you need help with packing because I have shipped many much heavier amps with knobs all over the country. I’m semi local but too many projects to complete right now. Good luck.

Thanks for your help. I'm hoping to find someone within driving distance, as this is a repair not a restoration. The unit is in good shape, except for that nasty noise.
 
I am in Mebane might be able to find time for a get together
If your ARC ST70c isn't currently in use, I'd like to borrow it as a reference example while I do a complete upgrade of mine (new caps, chassis, AC cord, xfmr shock mounts, speaker terminals, etc). I'm in Chapel Hill - send me a PM if you can help out. Thanks!
 
If your ARC ST70c isn't currently in use, I'd like to borrow it as a reference example while I do a complete upgrade of mine (new caps, chassis, AC cord, xfmr shock mounts, speaker terminals, etc). I'm in Chapel Hill - send me a PM if you can help out. Thanks!
Sounds like a fun project
 
Yeah, I think it'll be fun. I've got all the parts now and a new DSO (my old Tek 935 started blowing fuses) to test and mark the outside foil lead of all the coupling & bypass caps. Got new ceramic sockets and teflon insulated wire from Joe Curcio & new SS chassis from Dynakit Parts. New electrolytic cans from Hayseed Hamfest. Will do the rebuild over the coming crummy weather months and see how I like how the everything works before dropping ~$350 for a new oversized PS060S power transformer from Triode electronics. BTW pjrengineer, nice gear you got! I have some lovely Mac and Marantz tube stuff as well. The TD124 is a great match to vintage tube system, and although I have a bunch of vinyl, I'm digital source only these days.
 
Okay, I have not logged on in almost 7 years. I am in Cary, NC and would be interested in meetups, mainly to listen to music (versus comparing this equipment to that, etc.). I have a modest size room with some large Pure Audio Project Quintet15s ready to bring the tunes. We could spin vinyl, play CDs, or stream just about anything.

Seating might be an issue, but I'm working on that...
 
After a long break we are looking to put together another meet up in February. It will likely be on a Saturday morning. We are still trying to pin down a location. please shoot me a pm if you would like more info. This will help in gauging the size of room we will need.
 
The meetup has been confirmed for Saturday Feb 25th. We will start at 10 and go to 2 if there are people still around.
Location is Revo Church-North campus
7105 Broad St Rural Hall
Please PM me for more info. We also will have some tables set up for people to bring gear they may want to sell.
 
The meetup has been confirmed for Saturday Feb 25th. We will start at 10 and go to 2 if there are people still around.
Location is Revo Church-North campus
7105 Broad St Rural Hall
Please PM me for more info. We also will have some tables set up for people to bring gear they may want to sell.

Dang sounds fun! Wish I could make it but im up in Boone.
 
Just a reminder for anyone that may want to come the meet up will be this Saturday Feb 25th. We will start at 10 and go to 2 if there are people still around.
Location is Revo Church-North campus
7105 Broad St Rural Hall
 
Thanks to everyone that showed up today it was awesome. Some really great stuff
 

Attachments

  • 6C55137E-8676-4C2A-9D9D-EB9F1BF5D4E0.jpeg
    6C55137E-8676-4C2A-9D9D-EB9F1BF5D4E0.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 5987F31F-1844-4BBC-AA6A-B5215C24CF1F.jpeg
    5987F31F-1844-4BBC-AA6A-B5215C24CF1F.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 8EABBA7E-F78C-4297-ACB5-C514CD00EBA4.jpeg
    8EABBA7E-F78C-4297-ACB5-C514CD00EBA4.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 252033B7-6DC3-48A5-B622-C5AF84FEC1A7.jpeg
    252033B7-6DC3-48A5-B622-C5AF84FEC1A7.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 47
  • EF9CEB44-2997-4337-89A5-F25050F801BE.jpeg
    EF9CEB44-2997-4337-89A5-F25050F801BE.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 48
  • C4227E56-8838-4092-80C9-58DD7DC872DD.jpeg
    C4227E56-8838-4092-80C9-58DD7DC872DD.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 478DE7C8-50F5-43A5-8D07-EE9EB2D867FB.jpeg
    478DE7C8-50F5-43A5-8D07-EE9EB2D867FB.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom