• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Not loud enough

AAAV

New Member
I just put a new cartridge in a Synphonic Solid State Record Player from the late 60's. The max volume is not loud at all. I would give it a 3 tops. What is my next step??

Thanks! Patty
 

Attachments

  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 46
Register to hide this ad
What kind of cartridge did you install? Your original cartridge was probably a 'ceramic' type which has much higher output than an modern 'moving magnet' type.
 
What a cool little stereo.

MacNoob is right. That turntable takes a ceramic cart. You might also want to look at the turntable suspension. Appears to have a list to the right.

EDIT: I just saw your second post with the cart number. That is a ceramic cart and it's output is rated at .4 volt. If that is the cart that came out of the table then you should have about the same volume as it did before you replaced the cart. If you took a different cart out it's possible that one had a higher output. Although I think most ceramics were about the same.

You may have another problem at work here.
 
Last edited:
I really regret gluing this cartridge in. Oh well, I'm a beginner. What cartridge brand do you recommend I use?? I thought these Varco's were good for everything.
 
What a cool little stereo.

MacNoob is right. That turntable takes a ceramic cart. You might also want to look at the turntable suspension. Appears to have a list to the right.

EDIT: I just saw your second post with the cart number. That is a ceramic cart and it's output is rated at .4 volt. If that is the cart that came out of the table then you should have about the same volume as it did before you replaced the cart. If you took a different cart out it's possible that one had a higher output. Although I think most ceramics were about the same.

You may have another problem at work here.

The original cartridge was missing. When I touch the leads going into the cartridge, the feedback in the speakers is louder than the music.
 
The original cartridge was missing. When I touch the leads going into the cartridge, the feedback in the speakers is louder than the music.

And that would be normal.

I'm thinking that stereo originally had a ceramic cart, which appears to be what you installed. So you have never heard this stereo play before you worked on it? Even when new those things didn't get very loud. Do you have the ability to measure the output voltage of the cartridge?
 
Actually you do not have to break the thing, just get a phono preamp. for this type of unit I thing there were Radioshack and Shure and who knows units for like twenty bucks.

If nothing else you can probably build one, or appropriate one out of a defunct receiver or amp. Since you are into the thing I am sure you can probably find it a voltage source. I can look around at my junk and see if I have one that'll run on a single ended supply because the odds of that thing having plus and minus supplies are slim and none and someone just shot slim.

The other thing is watch the needle. you usually do not need fancy gauges n ****. You can look at the position of the stylus as it plays. Is it really mooshed down up into the body of the cartridge ? Is it skewed one way or the other. This tells you if it is tracking half decent. And that is not all about sound quality here, it is also about not wearing out your vinyl. It DOES wear and you can tell, usually especially at the end of the side where the groove velocity is the slowest and the tracking error most extreme.

If you are restoring something like this, you might want to look into better speakers. They were usually the weakest link in the chain back then. Worse than the ceramic cartridge actually. Get the print and we can modify the amp too and give it some real sound. You already changed it. If there was any intrinsic value having the all original needle and all that, it is gone. So go for it.

Go ahead, go to Simply Speakers or whatever and get some decent speakers for it, insulate the speaker enclosures. Maybe a couple of amp mods, which we get to once we get a print.

Might as well, what the hell.
 
Back
Top Bottom