• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Now in the ADS 910 club

Steelsnow

Member
How's it going everyone, new guy here. I just inherited my dads old audio gear and started cleaning it up this past week. Luckily for me he was a bit of an audiophile, but unfortunately cats had their way with most of it. I've been working on the speakers. ADS 910s. I cleaned up the front face, and used the Howard's restore-a-finish we found in a box on the cabs. Thank god he had the Howard's, I just looked to see how much this stuff is. Wow. Lastly, I took a toothbrush and simple green to the stands to clean them up. Next step, cosmetically, is to replace the speaker cloth.

My only ongoing issue is that both of the dome tweeters aren't working, unfortunately. I am going to check them with a multi meter tonight. I've read a decent amount about issues and fixes with the speakers on this forum. I've swapped and changed the fuses, as well as deoxed the connection from the speakers to the crossover.

These things sound great even without the tweeters working. Fantastic imaging.

-Kurt
 

Attachments

  • 910 1.jpg
    910 1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 692
  • 910 2.jpg
    910 2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 645
Register to hide this ad
Alright! You have an excellent set of speakers! Yours look to be the later models, larger dust caps, and the cast ridges in your stands. Mine are flat.
I would suggest sending the tweeters and mids to Richard So for rebuilding. He use to work at ADS, and bought all their parts when they closed shop. His work is outstanding, and very reasonable prices. I'd do it regardless if the drivers are working or not. Peace of mind for the next 30 years, and his parts supply will last only so long.
They are very efficient, but LOVE big power which brings out the best in them.

Recheck all the fuses, and bend the tabs a little in those pesky plugs in the crossovers for better contact. I did this and no issues with drivers dropping out.

Congrats and your father has great taste in gear!
 
Have you taken the tweeters out and tested them directly?

I haven't done that. I was going to check with a multi meter tonight to see if the ohms are all whacked out. I guess I can always just go direct with a speaker wire to the tweeter...

Alright! You have an excellent set of speakers! Yours look to be the later models, larger dust caps, and the cast ridges in your stands. Mine are flat.
I would suggest sending the tweeters and mids to Richard So for rebuilding. He use to work at ADS, and bought all their parts when they closed shop. His work is outstanding, and very reasonable prices. I'd do it regardless if the drivers are working or not. Peace of mind for the next 30 years, and his parts supply will last only so long.
They are very efficient, but LOVE big power which brings out the best in them.

Recheck all the fuses, and bend the tabs a little in those pesky plugs in the crossovers for better contact. I did this and no issues with drivers dropping out.

Congrats and your father has great taste in gear!

Yeah, I've read a lot of your posts about the 910s. I bookmarked his site, so if I need them fixed up, I'll send them there. I'd be interested in the biamping, but I don't have an amp that will support it. The MC2120 is out of commission, unfortunately. Since it needs to be repaired, I am using my pile of crap Technics amp. I'll bend the tabs in a little tonight and see what I get. Is there a schematic of what plugs are for what speaker? I did use some Deoxit on the plugs and that helped.
 
Great! Congrats.
Similar to what many of us encountered with our acquired 910's here lately, there is a very good chance that something is loose, unhooked or in need of some deoxit. One of my tweeters connections was even just twisted on and had come loose so you never know what you might find if you open them up, remove the tweeter etc.
Also, as I stated in the ther current 910 post, I found several solders that were bad or had started to come off that needed a simple re-flow. Check each coil to make sure both wires are still attached and not hidedn by te glue. They are really small wires.
 
Oh yeah, also, as far as grille cloth goes, the premium grille cloth from Parts Express is identical to that on the 910's. Glenn also found an EBay dealer that had good stuff in a smaller quantity.
Agreed with MarZ, those look nice.
Badges gone?
 
Great! Congrats.
Similar to what many of us encountered with our acquired 910's here lately, there is a very good chance that something is loose, unhooked or in need of some deoxit. One of my tweeters connections was even just twisted on and had come loose so you never know what you might find if you open them up, remove the tweeter etc.
Also, as I stated in the ther current 910 post, I found several solders that were bad or had started to come off that needed a simple re-flow. Check each coil to make sure both wires are still attached and not hidedn by te glue. They are really small wires.

Great tips, thanks. I'll pull the crossovers out and give them a close look, as well as the tweeter.

Oh yeah, also, as far as grille cloth goes, the premium grille cloth from Parts Express is identical to that on the 910's. Glenn also found an EBay dealer that had good stuff in a smaller quantity.
Agreed with MarZ, those look nice.
Badges gone?
http://www.parts-express.com/parts-...m1010X497171X6e47ec7729877ca8dc3b7e864f169a4c

I also found this looking around...http://www.simplyspeakers.com/speaker-grill-cloth-fabric-black-a-569.html
 
Nope. I need both for mine too. Several of us were bantering around ideas on how to make some with a mold etc.
 
Nope. I need both for mine too. Several of us were bantering around ideas on how to make some with a mold etc.

I think you could get something CNC'd pretty easy. My moms fiance is a machinist and specializes in small parts. Maybe I'll see if he can get something together... They also make hand held 3d scanners where you just run it over the part. It imports into the computer and then you can CNC the part out. I love technology.
 
Hi. Kurt. Welcome to the 910 club. Your speakers look really nice. Just wait until you get the tweeter working. I think the ADS dome drivers are what make the 910's really special.
I've had my 910's for a couple of weeks and just got them up and running a couple of days ago. This group has given me a lot of good information and advice. You've come to the right place.
:beerchug: Curt
 
I think you could get something CNC'd pretty easy. My moms fiance is a machinist and specializes in small parts. Maybe I'll see if he can get something together... They also make hand held 3d scanners where you just run it over the part. It imports into the computer and then you can CNC the part out. I love technology.
If you can get badges made, especially metal, aluminum most likely, you could sell a lot of them. Seems most are missing one or both. The glue gets soft and they eventually fall off. Luckily both of mine were still on the cabs, but were sliding downward, age and gravity were winning out!
Glenn
 
If you don't find a bad tweeter fuse or a loose connection on the 6 pin plug for the driver leads, you can measure the driver resistances from the plug end without pulling the drivers. Here's the pinout for the plug. The drivers are on 1-2 woofers, 3-4 mid, and 5-6 tweeter.
upload_2016-6-27_20-11-39.png
 
Pulled both tweeters. To be honest, I've never used a multimeter, so I don't even know what was going on with it. I put it to the ohm sign and it didn't do anything. Even for a speaker I know works. Anyway, I took the speaker wires off each crossover and put them directly on the tweeter contacts. Nothing on both of them. I guess it's pretty safe to say at this point, that they need to be repaired. Am I missing anything?
 
Pulled both tweeters. To be honest, I've never used a multimeter, so I don't even know what was going on with it. I put it to the ohm sign and it didn't do anything. Even for a speaker I know works. Anyway, I took the speaker wires off each crossover and put them directly on the tweeter contacts. Nothing on both of them. I guess it's pretty safe to say at this point, that they need to be repaired. Am I missing anything?
I usually set the meter to the lowest ohm setting, 200. I assume you put the meter probes on the tabs.
Did you connect the wires from your receiver directly to the tweeters, at very low volume to see if they produced sound?
 
I think you could get something CNC'd pretty easy. My moms fiance is a machinist and specializes in small parts. Maybe I'll see if he can get something together... They also make hand held 3d scanners where you just run it over the part. It imports into the computer and then you can CNC the part out. I love technology.

See, this is what is needed, and would be fairly straight forward for someone with the right tools and knowhow. Cool.
 
Back
Top Bottom