• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Obscure, Punk, Post-Punk, New Wave, Alternative, etc

Yes! Great call John! The Chameleons are one of my favorite bands, I also like some of the solo stuff that Mark Burgess has done. One of my all-time favorite albums is Strange Times, it's been very inspiring to me in the past.

I have a couple to add. One is a band I love that not very many people seem to know about called And Also the Trees, which is something I urge any fans of the Cure to listen to, since in their early days And Also the Trees tried to fashion their sound after what the Cure was doing in the early 80s.

The next one doesn't quite fit into the post-punk or new wave category, but they're another one of my favorite bands and for some reason I always associate them with this type of music: The Church. They're from Australia, they've released albums from the early 80s to the present, and just about every single one is amazing.


The Church, I remember them. :yes: Under the Milkey Way!!! I don't know why, but it makes me think of The Cult. Completely different sounds, but what the heck?
 
An upstate NY Punk and Garage point of view...

As a former DJ on WRUR FM (Rochester NY the home of the Chesterfield Kings and the Great, Great House of Guitars) I'd like to add the following:

The Lyres (go Mono Man!)
The Cramps
HooDoo Gurus
Dream Syndicate
True West
Long Ryders
The Db's
Let's Active
Steve Aalmas and Beat Rodeo
Jason and the Scorchers
Willie Alexander and the Boom Boom Band
Classic Ruins
The Neats
The Neighborhoods
The Real Kids (aka Taxi Boys)
The Fleshtones
Lipstick Killers (great Aussie Band)
The New Christs
Radio Birdman
John Trubee and the ugly Janitors of America
The Slickee Boys
Blotto
The A-Bones
The Soft Boys/Robyn Hitchcock
The Stranglers
The Vibrators

That's all for now... check out a few of them,,,
Who would you select as the best sleeper band from the late 1970's to late 1980's band? The more obscure the better. My favorites of the era are Depeche Mode, REM, Joy Division/New Order, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Psychadelic Furs, Big Country, The English Beat, The Cure and a few others. These are all now considered pretty main stream. They weren't when I started listening to them. Some of my other favorites that I believe remained somewhat obscure were Husker Du, The Pogues, The Butthole Surfers, Black Flag and The Dead Kennedys. I would like to hear of other great bands of the era that remained obscure, yet you consider great.
 
The Church, I remember them. :yes: Under the Milkey Way!!! I don't know why, but it makes me think of The Cult. Completely different sounds, but what the heck?

I'm going to see the Church at the Golden Plains festival in early march, along with the one and only Mr Gary Numan
 
I'd also throw in Galaxie 500. Late '80s, early '90s band from Boston that influenced a lot of the bands in the slow-core and shoegaze movement.

The Mekons. I randomly found myself eating cake with that band's Sally Timms earlier this year in a green with The Magnetic Fields. Super nice woman.

And last but not least....

The Go-Betweens. EXCELLENT Australian band from the '80s who recently reformed to make a few more great albums until co-founder Grant McLennan died two years ago. They were one of the best bands of the '80s but very few people have heard of them.


+1 for the Go Betweens. Another great Aussie band of the 80's and 90's is Died Pretty. Their early ep's and first album, Free Dirt are absolutely classic. In fact the entire Australian indie/alternative scene from the 70's to the present remains largely obscure to all but a few outside of Oz. Believe me, it's an absolute goldmine to those looking for new sounds to discover. As good as anything else released at the time. Google Died Petty for a taste.:yes:
 
Ever make it to the old Left Bank up in Mount Vernon?

Nope, never did. Mostly NYC and Northern NJ, plus we knew a booking agent in Buffalo so we played in Buffalo/Rochester/Toronto/etc. sometimes.

The Gun Club tour was the NE, from the DC area to Mass.

je
 
Nope, never did. Mostly NYC and Northern NJ, plus we knew a booking agent in Buffalo so we played in Buffalo/Rochester/Toronto/etc. sometimes.

The Gun Club tour was the NE, from the DC area to Mass.

je

I never made it there either. The place closed before I could get into it (I think it closed in 83). However, my older friends went all the time. I have seen a bunch of videos of bands playing there. It was quite a place, even better than CBs.
 
The Kings

Elton Motello

The Nails (a Nails roadie named Eric Boucher went on to became "Jello Biafra" of the Dead Kennedys)
 
On the lower portion of the obscure scale, Peter Godwin. Cetainly on the high scale for his video "Images of Heaven".
 
Dang, so many bands mentioned already!

Some of my faves that haven't been (or that I missed when reading this thread)

Richard Hell
The Heartbreakers (not Tom Petty's)
The Germs
Geza X
Swell Maps
Throbbing Gristle
Zoviet France
legendary Pink Dots
Crass
Der Plan
Felt
Tiny Dwarves
Toy Love
Teenage jesus and the Jerks
DNA
Der Moderne Man
African Head Charge
Elliot Sharp
 
Jeffery Lee Pierce & Gun Club...

Was this the tour with Patricia Morrison on bass? Saw Jeffery Lee a few times back in the '80's... He was well ahead of his time, kids are re-discovering his music these days. :yes:

I ran sound for a Gun Club tour in the late 80s, too, not sure if you'd lump them into this mix, too.
je
 
Check out the link in my sig for info about Scorgies; there are some streaming audio clips on the site feat. Gun Club and other luminaries of the day. A lot of "Board Tapes" made it out of the club (John Cale, Mutaburuka. Alex Chilton) and into the hands of regulars.

Due to it's proximity to Buffalo, a lot of cool musicians came through the club; Ramones, Johhny Thunders, Marianne Faithfull, Go-Go's, Cramps, Bangles, Let's Active, Replacements, John Cale, Dream Syndciate, Long Ryders, Wille Alexander, Hoodoo Gurus, etc.

Stan the Man
 
Back
Top Bottom