• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Obscure, Punk, Post-Punk, New Wave, Alternative, etc

oh - I forgot you were the thread starter when I wrote that. Since it's your thread, I guess it can mean whatever you want it to mean. :D

I don't own the thread, I just started it to expand my listening horizons in the type of music I like the best. Since I think everyone on the thread knows bands like Culture Club, I thought it was kind of a waste to list them. What I want to do is compile the list of bands here and then have everyone who wants, rank their top ten out of the list, with the hope of having a top ten must listen to group of bands in this genre.
 
Fishbone kick ass, one of the best live shows I've seen, ever.

The Pursuit Of Happiness had a good album, I still have the cassette cover, but no tape :tears:

je
 
Gun Club

Was this the tour with Patricia Morrison on bass? Saw Jeffery Lee a few times back in the '80's... He was well ahead of his time, kids are re-discovering his music these days. :yes:

Romi Mori on bass, Kid Congo on guitar. This would have been in 1989 most likely. Some brilliant nights, some verrrrrry tense (and intense) ones.

je
 
One of these lists had The Wedding Present...I second them. They played a small club around Chicago recently and it was a good show. They were much bigger and well known in England. Jangly and loud, with every song seeming to be about either cheating on somebody or getting cheated on.
 
Band of members...

:thmbsp: Cool! Dug Kid Congo... that was after he left the Cramps, right? And you were in a band as well?

Romi Mori on bass, Kid Congo on guitar. This would have been in 1989 most likely. Some brilliant nights, some verrrrrry tense (and intense) ones.

je
 
I was in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill in the early 80's and got to see and meet quite a few of the bands mentions here thus far- lived on Boylan Heights near the Connells and knew them pretty well. I'll toss a few others in, just for kicks. If they've been mentioned, mea culpa...

Agnostic Front
Fear
Oingo Boingo
Bad Checks
Laurie Anderson
NOFX
Stiff Little Fingers
Yaz
Public Image Ltd
Corrosion of Conformity
Yello
Renaldo & the Loaf
Residents
X
Husker Du
Minor Threat
The Angry Samoans
The Exploited
Negativeland
Guadacanal Diary
Millions of Dead Cops
Bad Brains
Bad Religion
The Minutemen
TSOL
The Vapors
 
Ok, here is the list I have so far. Please make any corrections to mistakes I made. I also bolded bands I felt that really weren't obscure to me. Please feel free to give your opinion on whether or not they should be included in the obscure category or if there is a band I didn't bold that you feel should also be taken off the list for any reason. Also look for any duplicates I may have missed. I counted 217 names:

1313 Mockingbird Lane
A Certain Ratio
Acid Horse
African Head Charge
Agnostic Front
Alien Sex Fiend
Altered Images
American Music Club
Aztec Camera
Bad Brains
Bad Checks
Bad Religion
Balaam and the Angel
Big Audio Dynamite
Big Black
Big Star & Chris Bell & Alex Chilton
Black Flag
Blancmange
Blotto
Blow Monkeys
Bolshoi
Bram Tchaikovski
Butthole Surfers
Buzzcocks
Cabaret Voltaire
Celibate Rifles
Chemlab
China Crisis
Chris & Cosey
Chrome
Cindytalk
Clan of Xymox
Classic Ruins
Clock DVA
Colourbox
Cop Shoot Cop
Corrosion of Conformity
Crass
Crime & The City Solution
Danielle Dax
Dead Artist Syndrome
Dead Kennedys
Dead Milkman
Der Moderne Man
Der Plan
Deutsche Amerikanishe Freundschaft
Devine & Statton
Die Warzau
Digital Sex
Dinosaur Jr
DMZ
DNA
Downy Mildew
Dream Syndicate
Durutti Column
Einstürzende Neubauten
Elliot Sharp
Elton Motello
English Beat
Everything But the Girl
Fairground Attraction
Fatima Mantions
Fear
Felt
Fields of the Nephilim
Fishbone
Flipper
Foetus etc.
Fortran 5
Frazier Chorus
Front 242
Fugazi
Fun House
Galaxie 500
Gallon Drunk
Gang of Four
Geza X
Girls School
Guadacanal Diary
Half Japanese
Helmet
Hipsway
Hooters
Hula
Hunters & Collectors
Husker Du
I Start Counting
Iggy Pop
Jason and the Scorchers
Jet Boy
Jim Carroll
Jim Thirwell
John Foxx
John Trubee and the ugly Janitors of America
Kate Bush
Kleenex
L7
Laurie Anderson
legendary Pink Dots
Let’s Activate
Lipstick Killers (great Aussie Band)
Long Ryders
Love and Rockets
M.A.S.S.
Manual Scan
Meat Puppets
Mekons
Millions of Dead Cops
Mink DeVille
Minor Threat
Mission of Burma
Mission UK
Naked Raygun
Negativeland
New Model Army
NOFX
Nomeanzno
Ofra Haza
Oingo Boingo
Pale Fountains
Pere Ubu
Phil N The Blanks
Plasmatics
Prong
Public Image Ltd
Radio Birdman
Renaldo & the Loaf
Residents
Richard Hell
Rollins Band
Saints
Shonen Knife
Soft Boys
Squirrel Bait
Steve Aalmas and Beat Rodeo
Steve Albini
Stiff Little Fingers
Street Dogs
Suburban Mutalation
Sunnyboys
Surf Punks
Swell Maps
Teenage jesus and the Jerks
Television
The A-Bones
The Adult Net
The Adventures
The Angry Samoans
The Associates
The Call
The Catherine Wheel
The Chameleons
The Chills
The Church
The Circle Jerks
The Communards
The Connells
The Cramps
The Cranes
The Cult
The Db’s
The Descendents
The Exploited
The Fall
The Flamin' Ohs
The Fleshtones
The Germs
The Gits
The Glove
The Go-Betweens
The Godfathers
The Gun Club
The Hafler Trio
The Heart Throbs
The Heartbreakers (not Tom Petty's)
The Heavenly Bodies
The Hoodoo Gurus
The Hounds
The House of Love
The Housemartins
The Kings
The Lyres
The Minutemen
The Nails
The Neats
The Neighborhoods
The New Christs
The Pixies
The Plimsouls
The Real Kids (aka Taxi Boys)
The Residents
The Slaters
The Slickee Boys
The Slits
The Soft Boys/Robyn Hitchcock
The Stems
The Stooges
The Stranglers
The Suburban Lawns
The Suburbs
The Vapors
The Vibrators
Throbbing Gristle
Tiny Dwarves
Toy Love
True West
TSOL
Tuff Darts
Voivod
Wall of VooDoo
Willie Alexander and the Boom Boom Band
Wire
Woofing Cookies/American Standard
World Party
X
XTC
Yaz
Yello
Zoviet France
 
what? no Gang of Four or Buzzcocks? :(

If the guy who threw his shoes at [edit to remove political content] was a band, I'd add him to the top of the list. :D
 
Ok, here is the list I have so far (with updated corrections). Please make any corrections to mistakes I made. I also bolded bands I felt that really weren't obscure to me. Please feel free to give your opinion on whether or not they should be included in the obscure category or if there is a band I didn't bold that you feel should also be taken off the list for any reason. Also look for any duplicates I may have missed. I counted 217 names:

1313 Mockingbird Lane
A Certain Ratio
Acid Horse
African Head Charge
Agnostic Front
Alien Sex Fiend
Altered Images
American Music Club
Aztec Camera
Bad Brains
Bad Checks
Bad Religion
Balaam and the Angel
Big Audio Dynamite
Big Black
Big Star & Chris Bell & Alex Chilton
Black Flag
Blancmange
Blotto
Blow Monkeys
Bolshoi
Bram Tchaikovski
Butthole Surfers
Buzzcocks
Cabaret Voltaire
Celibate Rifles
Chemlab
China Crisis
Chris & Cosey
Chrome
Cindytalk
Clan of Xymox
Classic Ruins
Clock DVA
Colourbox
Cop Shoot Cop
Corrosion of Conformity
Crass
Crime & The City Solution
Danielle Dax
Dead Artist Syndrome
Dead Kennedys
Dead Milkman
Der Moderne Man
Der Plan
Deutsche Amerikanishe Freundschaft
Devine & Statton
Die Warzau
Digital Sex
Dinosaur Jr
DMZ
DNA
Downy Mildew
Dream Syndicate
Durutti Column
Einstürzende Neubauten
Elliot Sharp
Elton Motello
English Beat
Everything But the Girl
Fairground Attraction
Fatima Mantions
Fear
Felt
Fields of the Nephilim
Fishbone
Flipper
Foetus etc.
Fortran 5
Frazier Chorus
Front 242
Fugazi
Fun House
Galaxie 500
Gallon Drunk
Gang of Four
Geza X
Girls School
Guadacanal Diary
Half Japanese
Helmet
Hipsway
Hooters
Hula
Hunters & Collectors
Husker Du
I Start Counting
Iggy Pop
Jason and the Scorchers
Jet Boy
Jim Carroll
Jim Thirwell
John Foxx
John Trubee and the ugly Janitors of America
Kate Bush
Kleenex
L7
Laurie Anderson
legendary Pink Dots
Let’s Activate
Lipstick Killers (great Aussie Band)
Long Ryders
Love and Rockets
M.A.S.S.
Manual Scan
Meat Puppets
Mekons
Millions of Dead Cops
Mink DeVille
Minor Threat
Mission of Burma
Mission UK
Naked Raygun
Negativeland
New Model Army
NOFX
Nomeanzno
Ofra Haza
Oingo Boingo
Pale Fountains
Pere Ubu
Phil N The Blanks
Plasmatics
Prong
Public Image Ltd
Radio Birdman
Renaldo & the Loaf
Residents
Richard Hell
Rollins Band
Saints
Shonen Knife
Soft Boys
Squirrel Bait
Steve Aalmas and Beat Rodeo
Steve Albini
Stiff Little Fingers
Street Dogs
Suburban Mutalation
Sunnyboys
Surf Punks
Swell Maps
Teenage jesus and the Jerks
Television
The A-Bones
The Adult Net
The Adventures
The Angry Samoans
The Associates
The Call
The Catherine Wheel
The Chameleons
The Chills
The Church
The Circle Jerks
The Communards
The Connells
The Cramps
The Cranes
The Cult
The Db’s
The Descendents
The Exploited
The Fall
The Flamin' Ohs
The Fleshtones
The Germs
The Gits
The Glove
The Go-Betweens
The Godfathers
The Gun Club
The Hafler Trio
The Heart Throbs
The Heartbreakers (not Tom Petty's)
The Heavenly Bodies
The Hoodoo Gurus
The Hounds
The House of Love
The Housemartins
The Kings
The Lyres
The Minutemen
The Nails
The Neats
The Neighborhoods
The New Christs
The Pixies
The Plimsouls
The Real Kids (aka Taxi Boys)
The Residents
The Slaters
The Slickee Boys
The Slits
The Soft Boys/Robyn Hitchcock
The Stems
The Stooges
The Stranglers
The Suburban Lawns
The Suburbs
The Vapors
The Vibrators
Throbbing Gristle
Tiny Dwarves
Toy Love
True West
TSOL
Tuff Darts
Voivod
Wall of VooDoo
Willie Alexander and the Boom Boom Band
Wire
Woofing Cookies/American Standard
World Party
X
XTC
Yaz
Yello
Zoviet France
 
:thmbsp: Cool! Dug Kid Congo... that was after he left the Cramps, right?
Yup. Congo was an original member of The Gun Club, left for The Cramps, and had rejoined The Gun Club by then. I recently got a copy of Abnormals Anonymous by Congo Norvell and quite enjoy it. Sally Norvell's duets with Mark Eitzel are a blast.
 
Looks like you've got the bands from the first half of my list, but are missing some from the second part (such as The Pursuit of Happiness, The Wolfgang Press, and Young Marble Giants).

Looks like you've got The Residents twice.
 
I think about half of my CD collection has been mentioned so far. At the risk of repeating others, here's some of the more obscure bands from my collection:

Talk about an old school "goth", lol, I have about half of those you listed in my CD or LP collection. I love early Industrial.

I saw someone mendion 1000 homo DJs, that was a side project from Al Jourgensen from ministry? (wiki is my friend, couldnt for the life of me remember his name)

to list some I didn't notice in the lists, either because I'm blind, or they actually weren't there:

10000 maniacs
alex chilton
amok
anne clark
channel 13
cowboys international
deja voodoo
dream syndicate
fad gadget
fiction tales
fire engines
happy mondays
john otway & wild willy barrett
klark kent
magazine
ramones
replacements
richard hell & the voidoids
screaming blue messiahs
sham 69
sisters of mercy
subhumans
teenage head
the adverts
the creatures
the del fuegos.
the dyk van dykes
the incredible shrinking dickies
the jack rubies
the jam
the march violets
the mighty lemon drops
the sisterhood
three oclock train
throwing muses
tones on tail
true sounds of liberty
UJ3RK5

edit

because of this thread, I decided perhaps we could use a group for this sort of thing.
join up if you like
 
Chesterfield Kings
James Chance and the Contortions
DAF
The Windbreakers
Miracle Legion
Zeitgeist
The Three O'Clock
Green On Red
Human Switchboard
Martha & The Muffins
Eddie and the Hotrods
Mickey Jupp
The Outsets

I'm off to bed now...
 
Back
Top Bottom