• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Office system - not at home

juliet lima

Well-Known Member
How do you listen to music at work….

91D027B7-729F-4799-92F4-0B591080719B.jpeg


I work from my home office most of the time but I do have a desk at ‘work’

Fatman iTube amp/dock/speakers and a grace sdac for streaming off the thinkpad.
 
Register to hide this ad
No one else going to share an office at work rig?

I thought I’d even be getting someone’s Uber expensive rig in a lawyer or investment banker office.

I clearly need to work on post titles. A simple ‘show us…’ at the front and who knows the wonders that could have been.:oops:
 
I rotate stuff in/out, but the addition of bluetooth to my receiver has made it great to control the volume and music from my computer. But, my office is also next to my main room, so sometimes I crank up the bigger systems when I don't have to be on the phone.

IMG_8082.jpg
 
Thanks. I really should sell it as it’s superfluous to my needs.

But I don’t want to….I like the form factor and the sound is totally acceptable. It gets even better with nicer speakers.

I keep it stock though. You almost never see these with the remote (which the dock won’t work without) and even rarer are the OEM speakers and (shitty) speaker cables.
 
Nothing fancy. Just a Logitech z523 2.1 set. It's a pretty quiet office with 4 other people.

View attachment 2719889

I share the work space too. Everyone just used headphones. It killed collaboration and wasn’t very conducive to camaraderie. Also, I hate using headphones for ambient listening.

So I just brought a stereo to work and set it up. Started slow, asking if it was ok to play some Bob Marley a few hours every day. Morphed to asking them who their favourites artists were and played that too. Now a year later and if I don’t put something on within an hour of arriving one of them usually asks me to.

Memorable moments:

The Monday morning I was streaming a playlist with ‘All The Small Things’ and all three of my coworkers chanted in unison late night come home WORK SUCKS I KNOW!

They also like to tell the story of how the owner walked by my desk a couple weeks after I’d brought it in and did a double take. “What’s that?” he asked and one of the PM’s said “It’s our stereo!”
 
Well, I'm usually in meetings all day. So there's almost never music playing (sad trombone sound).
 
I share the work space too. Everyone just used headphones. It killed collaboration and wasn’t very conducive to camaraderie. Also, I hate using headphones for ambient listening.

So I just brought a stereo to work and set it up. Started slow, asking if it was ok to play some Bob Marley a few hours every day. Morphed to asking them who their favourites artists were and played that too. Now a year later and if I don’t put something on within an hour of arriving one of them usually asks me to.

Memorable moments:

The Monday morning I was streaming a playlist with ‘All The Small Things’ and all three of my coworkers chanted in unison late night come home WORK SUCKS I KNOW!

They also like to tell the story of how the owner walked by my desk a couple weeks after I’d brought it in and did a double take. “What’s that?” he asked and one of the PM’s said “It’s our stereo!”

We have an interesting office music situation. I'm the only one with anything other than built-in computer speakers. Whoever has the early shift usually puts on some mellow tunes. Then the boss comes in late morning and puts on his own music. His office separated in a nook, but it's all the same room, and we all hear it. He plays the same few awful Pandora stations in his tinny pc speakers. It's a running joke among the rest of us how bad it is. It's either bad overplayed classic rock, overplayed yacht rock, or bad 90's rock. Over and over and over. He likes to sing along too.
 
…Then the boss comes in late morning and puts on his own music. His office separated in a nook, but it's all the same room, and we all hear it. He plays the same few awful Pandora stations in his tinny pc speakers. It's a running joke among the rest of us how bad it is. It's either bad overplayed classic rock, overplayed yacht rock, or bad 90's rock. Over and over and over. He likes to sing along too.

If ever there was a more deserving go fund me I haven’t heard it…$5000 could build a wall with door across that alcove with decent soundproofing.
 
Somehow missed the "not at home" part. Will post elsewhere, another time. My home office is a fun place to be. My away from home office is a place to hang my coat.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom