• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Old, cool, and interesting Stuff

Useless bit of trivia for the day.

As the days get shorter, I poked around just to see how fast the days are getting shorter for two different locations.

Here in San Diego
View attachment 3799987

And I just arbitrarily picked Bozeman, MT
View attachment 3799988

Crazy, eh?
Makes sense to me. The farther you are (North south) from the equator, the longer the days during summer, and shorter during winter, so would expect the changes to change faster.
In addition, they change the slowest at the solstices, and fastest at the equinoxes. (I believe it is a sine function - trig invades geometry)
 
The Studebaker Factory, South Bend 1852-1963

southbencomplex.jpg


sixstory-107w-6.jpg


sixstory-107w-8.jpg


m29-assemblyline-107w-1.jpg
 
Makes sense to me. The farther you are (North south) from the equator, the longer the days during summer, and shorter during winter, so would expect the changes to change faster.
In addition, they change the slowest at the solstices, and fastest at the equinoxes. (I believe it is a sine function - trig invades geometry)
That is absolutely correct. And it is definitely a sine wave. Here is the sun graph for my area (the shifts are for going into/coming out of Daylight Saving:

Sun Graph.jpg
 
"A jacal in Brownsville, 1937. This was occupied by farm laborers. I have written about these remarkable structures in the past. Jacals may look primitive but a well-designed jacal is actually an ingenious structure, such that it's not unusual for their interiors to be 20 or even 25 degrees cooler than outside in the sun. When it's 100 degrees outside, 80 feels like paradise."
found on Traces of Texas Facebook page



.jacal.jpg
 
I didn't thought that in 1960 you could automatically installed tubes (valves) sockets and some other components on a printed circuit board. High power tubes, like the audio ones don't usually make a good company with printed circuit board because of the heat, but still intresting.

 
I didn't thought that in 1960 you could automatically installed tubes (valves) sockets and some other components on a printed circuit board. High power tubes, like the audio ones don't usually make a good company with printed circuit board because of the heat, but still intresting.

Note at 15:00 the worker pounds his fist on the set to see if anything is intermittent. On the Zenith Electronics TV assembly line, this was done with a child's rubber ball on the end of a wooden handle, and the receiver was hit a couple of times on top and sides to test mechanical shocks in multiple axes. If there was any disturbance in the picture, the unit's inspection tag was checked next to "JWS " ("Jumps When Struck") and it was diverted for repair.
 
Last edited:
Ha, I thought he put some technical control stamp. But he was checking for cold soldering. Oh, those cold solderings where the reason that sometimes electronic gear got kicked.
 
View attachment 3815898

don't know if this was an actual station or just art, but I like it.
found this description
"In the 1920s, a coastal station was a telecommunications facility where radio operators used telegraphs and vacuum-tube radios to communicate with ships from the shore. They saved many lives because—among other duties—they received distress signals from ships in danger and broadcast storm warnings, in addition to handling various other forms of communication."
 
"A jacal in Brownsville, 1937. This was occupied by farm laborers. I have written about these remarkable structures in the past. Jacals may look primitive but a well-designed jacal is actually an ingenious structure, such that it's not unusual for their interiors to be 20 or even 25 degrees cooler than outside in the sun. When it's 100 degrees outside, 80 feels like paradise."
found on Traces of Texas Facebook page



View attachment 3802675
View attachment 3815898

don't know if this was an actual station or just art, but I like it.
Probably overly romantic, but this is a beautiful illustration!
 
Back
Top Bottom