• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Old, cool, and interesting Stuff

View attachment 3791181

"high school auto shop 1950s" found on Facebook
Was still offered throughout the early seventies up here in my HS. in NE. FL. a long with metal/wood shop & printing as part of the offered Industrial Arts Curriculum.
I took Wood shop in my sophomore 1969 yr. & printing the next yr. before I quit HS.

Some of my friends who with after school part time jobs that had parental hand me down cars, took either auto shop & others like me with no car of their own, chose metal or wood shop.
I had already taken metal shop in 9th grade in Jr. High the yr. before in 68.
 
Was still offered throughout the early seventies up here in my HS. in NE. FL. a long with metal/wood shop & printing as part of the offered Industrial Arts Curriculum.
I took Wood shop in my sophomore 1969 yr. & printing the next yr. before I quit HS.

Some of my friends who with after school part time jobs that had parental hand me down cars, took either auto shop & others like me with no car of their own, chose metal or wood shop.
I had already taken metal shop in 9th grade in Jr. High the yr. before in 68.
My HS offered 1 quarter each of auto shop, machine shop, electronics and welding in junior year ('68-'69 for me). The following year you could choose the full 500 hr course in which ever you wanted. I chose welding because an uncle was a boilermaker, making very good money. Found out that I was never going to be a good welder, and probably couldn't lay down a good bead today to save my life.
 
My HS offered 1 quarter each of auto shop, machine shop, electronics and welding in junior year ('68-'69 for me). The following year you could choose the full 500 hr course in which ever you wanted. I chose welding because an uncle was a boilermaker, making very good money. Found out that I was never going to be a good welder, and probably couldn't lay down a good bead today to save my life.
By the late sixties, I was becoming more interested in electronics, which there was no electronic class offerings, so I just chose wood shop as a hopefully easy class to take to bide my yr.`s time. and maybe make something(s) wood working projects that were interesting & try to get a passing grade, plus meet fellow blue collar type guys.

Prior in Jr. High in metal shop, I did pretty good, especially alcohol torch soldering of seams of rolled sheet steel, surprising the shop teacher, having already taught myself to decently solder with my father`s 300 watt industrial sized electric iron as a child before I entered Jr. High.
 
We had wood shop, auto shop, and I took general mechanical shop through the FFA where we learned to weld, use cutting torches, make hydraulic hoses, sweat solder copper pipes, ect. all skills that have served me well throughout my life.

On a side note, our Governor has been pushing our Community Colleges to add various vocational programs (electrician/plumber/carpentry/mechanic/etc.) but the entrenched faculty has been fighting her the entire time, since they are affiliated with UNM they say "we are a college, not a tech school". We don't need anymore English majors, we need carpenters !
 
Last edited:
When I was in high school, the tech department had courses in: electricity (transformers, motors & relay stuff), electronics. drafting, machine shop, industrial arts (hydraulics) woodworking and auto shop. I think I got them all.
I took drafting and machine shop in grades 9 & 10.


BTW, my son teaches high school auto shop these days.
 
Durring communist era there where workshops in school. In the '90's we still had something, traforaj (small wood practice), but in high-school, allmost 0, trough all that was an industrial high-school. That is sad.
Well, something about auto that blew my mind: I found the 2nd apartament building that had a turntable for cars!!! Yep, not only locomotive depos * have them. I increase my data base of old buildings from Bucharest by looking on real estate adds and less then an hour ago I've seen this.

d3594429-811f-4cc1-a0c2-7f6fbacc64a8.jpg

* love trains since I was a kid. The knownledge helped in travelling with a sleeping car, from line 12 to line 7? in 2018, when they manouvered one old sleeping car to be attached to a train.
 
We had wood shop, auto shop, and I took general mechanical shop through the FFA where we learned to weld, use cutting torches, make hydraulic hoses, sweat solder copper pipes, ect. all skills that have served me well throughout my life.

On a side note, our Governor has been pushing our Community Colleges to add various vocational programs (electrician/plumber/carpentry/mechanic/etc.) but the entrenched faculty has been fighting her the entire time, since they are affiliated with UNM they say "we are a college, not a tech school". We don't need anymore English majors, we need carpenters !
She should tell the naysayers to tell Cerritos College that BS. Public HS and CC education’s upper echelon should not just be the automatic pin setter setting the pins for Sallie Mae to own after academia supports it’s own bloat first and foremost. And those are the lucky “pins”. Many of the “factory seconds”become wage slaves or worse. One named Deebo took a plane ride. They should watch the movie too.
 
We had wood shop, auto shop, and I took general mechanical shop through the FFA where we learned to weld, use cutting torches, make hydraulic hoses, sweat solder copper pipes, ect. all skills that have served me well throughout my life.

On a side note, our Governor has been pushing our Community Colleges to add various vocational programs (electrician/plumber/carpentry/mechanic/etc.) but the entrenched faculty has been fighting her the entire time, since they are affiliated with UNM they say "we are a college, not a tech school". We don't need anymore English majors, we need carpenters !
I know of at least one (mostly) famous person who supports your position, Mike Rowe of "Dirty Jobs" fame. His foundation issues scholarships to those who want to learn a skilled trade.
 
bcba4c32125800213556b28b26638ed029d5eb26.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom