• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

old crown ss equipment

Depends on which model. '80s studio gear is good, as PS series and SL-2 preamps are very musical with warm speakers. They run in pure Class A for first couple watts.685756915_10240818281624027_8610663201292519812_n.jpg
 
Nice Crown Receiver! Good resurrection of a 19-year slumbering thread. A Rip Van Winkle thread for sure.

Welcome to ak.
LOL Rip Van Winkle gear as well :) PS200 and PSL-2 pictured are nearly 40 years old and still in spec with modest servicing. IYKYK about this combo.
 
IYKYK about this combo
Crown advertised three 1 ru components as the Crown receiver back in the day. You stepped up in amp power. If Crown shows up near me cheap, I buy it because it is well-built, and does a nice job. Only pieces I have still here, DL-2, both phono modules, SL-1 with phono module and step up transformer, OC-150a and SX-724. I think that is it. Used in different ways.
 
Crown advertised three 1 ru components as the Crown receiver back in the day. You stepped up in amp power. If Crown shows up near me cheap, I buy it because it is well-built, and does a nice job. Only pieces I have still here, DL-2, both phono modules, SL-1 with phono module and step up transformer, OC-150a and SX-724. I think that is it. Used in different ways.t
DL-2 in good shape is a coveted Crown collector piece with separate power supply. I pined for an affordable SL-2 for years and then found two within three months of each other :) I was impressed and surprised by how much they elevated my PS 200s.
 
My home office "rat rod" stack and throwback Wharfedale 85th Anniversary Lintons (Mahogany with special order grey grilles and upside down Amazon kid's toy box stands :)
 

Attachments

  • 728568614_10241554787436212_4822254816152478074_n.jpg
    728568614_10241554787436212_4822254816152478074_n.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0451.jpeg
    IMG_0451.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 14
An ounce of prevention.

I can't speak for or against the sound quality but I have repaired these and if you get a working one, here is how to keep it working.:yes:

Replace all the small electrolytic caps; (the big ones are usually OK) snug down all the hardware holding the big main power supply caps. and output transistor screws and output speaker terminal nuts, and any other hardware that carries signal or power.:thmbsp:

All of the above tend to loosen up over time.:thumbsdn:

Get the service manual and check the input\output DC offset voltages.

Mark T.:music:
Also, to add value to your great post. On D-75 or D-75 Mk II amplifiers, the Zener Diodes need testing, they're prone to the occasional failure. (I've replaced several Zeners on these models during servicing along with all your recommendations).
 
Back
Top Bottom