• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

On Impulse I ordered a Boyuu Reisong A10 EL34, class A. Any experience? Add your opinion on it.

Nice! I'm running the same setup. At least I was trying to. I've been posting about it on another thread. Looks like you and I have the same exact adapters, too. So big question of the day: Are you experiencing any increase in hum going from stock preamp tubes to the GL 12ax7's? For me, the amp is quiet with the stock tubes, but when I but the GL's in, man, I get a pretty loud low hum, that grows as the amp warms up. I returned the tubes, I did by them "slightly used". So trying to decide whether to grab a new pair or try something else.


JG
No not at all , it’s super quiet . I hesitated on going to the adapters and upgraded tubes because some people were saying it might overload the system. But I also have seen people the same setup with no problems so I’m gonna keep an eye on it. I’m playing the amp through klipsch rp 600m and I can crank it all the way up with no distortion and probably a little damage to my ears lol.
 
No not at all , it’s super quiet . I hesitated on going to the adapters and upgraded tubes because some people were saying it might overload the system. But I also have seen people the same setup with no problems so I’m gonna keep an eye on it. I’m playing the amp through klipsch rp 600m and I can crank it all the way up with no distortion and probably a little damage to my ears lol.

Very cool. Glad to hear your experience is a positive one. I'm definitely going to try and order a new pair. They really do open up the amp to some amazing sound. =)

Cheers!
 
Very cool. Glad to hear your experience is a positive one. I'm definitely going to try and order a new pair. They really do open up the amp to some amazing sound. =)

Cheers!
Yes it’s my first tube amp and I’ve really been enjoying it ! Good luck with yours I hope you get it to where your satisfied with it .
 
I'd like to take a moment and give my opinion (and only my opinion:)) of what changes I made that I liked or not, or were worthwhile for the money/time. The speakers I've been using are the Klipsch RP600M.

First off, the change of preamp tubes to the Russian Rocket 6N2P-EV was great. Much better than the stock tubes immediately. And super value considering how much they cost for a pair. It sounded much tighter overall, but it felt like I lost some bass depth.

I next changed the rectifier tube to the Gold Lion GZ34, and my notes that I wrote to myself, I thought this change made the sound more "solid state like", faster, tighter notes, cleaner highs, and brought back my bass depth.

With COVID-19 issues, I had to wait about 2.5 months for my tube adapters to arrive from China so I could start playing around with the 12AX7's.

My opinion, the Gold Lion 12AX7's sound the best of the preamp tubes I've rolled so far. Expensive, but I feel worth it.

The Mullard 12AX7's to me, sounded like a copy of the Russian Rocket 6N2P-EV. So if you want to save yourself the troubles of getting an adapter and using these, don't. Just stick with the Russian Rocket's.

The PSVane 12AX7-T Mk II made me feel kind of... Meh. Not bad, but didn't stand out at all to me. Especially considering their cost (expensive). Of the tubes I have, this is the pair of tubes I wish I never bought. Wasted money here.

Coupling capacitors. I went a little crazy and bought some Russian PIO caps from eBay....K42Y-2 .22uf, K75-10 .22uf, and Teflon T-2 .022uf. Those K75-10 caps are HUGE! After I read and researched some more, I thought maybe I should just cut to the chase and instead of trying to make a "good value" upgrade, just buy something proven and purpose built for audio. That's why I bought the Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil .22uf so I wouldn't be asking myself, "what-if" in the future. They're expensive as hell, but I only wanted to be messing around inside once. After 300 hrs suggested break-in, I think they sound very nice, but if I had to do it again, I'd probably just buy the Supreme Silver/Oil instead and save a few dollars. How they sound is difficult to put into words. I guess I'd say overall more smooth and rich. To me, the capacitor change was different from tube rolling. Not the highs or lows...just sort of rounded the edges slightly of the music. I would still make this change if I had to do it again. I would make this one of your last changes, when you have done everything else.

Power tubes. Gold Lion KT77 I love best! More drive, more punch, more kick. Expensive compared to other reissues. If I want to listen to the Reisong A10, I want these KT77's in there. I bought the PSVane HiFi Series EL34B's because they seemed to be a great value and have for backup. To me, they sound like the stock Shuguang EL34B. No noticeable difference and wouldn't buy again.

Final thoughts. I was impressed with the difference the GZ34 rectifier tube made. Maybe because it doesn't sag as much as the stock rectifier, but it provides a stronger power base, or overall drive that makes all the other tubes sound better. I think dollar for dollar, it's hard to beat the Russian Rocket 6N2P-EV preamp tubes. I like the Gold Lion 12AX7 much better, but I could happily live with the Rockets. Power tubes...buy the Gold Lion KT77's and forget about the others. Coupling capacitor, like I said earlier, I feel it's worth the time/money...but only after you made all the other changes and looking for the cherry to put on top of your dessert.

I've been using the A10, hooked up to Chromecast Audio, running through Schiit Modi DAC, and on the suggestion of another member here, a FX-Audio Tube-03 Preamp with GE5654 tubes. That Tube-03 preamp not only sounds great, it helps with tone controls, and adjusting the level of input to the A10....well worth the inexpensive purchase price.

Like I said, it's just my opinion. A collection of my thoughts, and what I would have loved to have read while doing my research of upgrades to this fine amplifier!

Great post. Link for the KT77's?

bob
 
So, what's the consensus OOTB? Thinking about one for my 78 La Scalas.

bob[/QUOTE. With high efficiency speakers such as yours I think would be just fine . My little rp 600 m speakers were pushing 102 db in my little music room with the a10 cranked all the way up !
 
It shouldn’t hum at all. I’ve used the Gold Lion KT77, in fact they are in it now. I did experience some hum with another amp but soon after, one of them red-plated and toasted itself. It’s fairly common with the GL KT77, so please keep an eye on your amp and don’t leave it unattended. On other groups, some guys are reporting good results with the JJ KT77, which is a longer lasting and more stable tube.
 
I'm super impressed with the look and build quality of the Reisong A10 amp.

But I'm not thrilled with the SQ with my Dynaco A25 speakers (lately I like experimenting with lower-powered amps and vintage speakers).

I understand the A10 is a low-powered tube amp, but I have heard Dynaco A25 speakers with tubes before and the SQ was very good.

My listening room is small (10' x 11') and I only need moderate volume.

Actually the loudness of this setup is fine, but the SQ is only average (to my ear) - there is a lack of detail (it sounds a bit blah).

I've thought of two things to change / experiment:

1. The A25s are 8ohm speakers, but I could try connecting them to the 4ohm connections in back (just to experiment).

2. Change out the preamp tubes (via an adaptor) to some 12Ax7 tubes I have in the house (Mullards and Ruby HG)​

Any other thoughts? Thanks

Snade
 
The 12AX7’s are a good start. Also try changing the coupling caps - made a big difference in mine. Are you using a preamp?
 
The 12AX7’s are a good start. Also try changing the coupling caps - made a big difference in mine. Are you using a preamp?

Thanks. No preamp. I run Amazon Music HD on my laptop to a good DAC and then to the Reisong A10. I've used this setup with different amps and it sounds very good.
 
Thanks. No preamp. I run Amazon Music HD on my laptop to a good DAC and then to the Reisong A10. I've used this setup with different amps and it sounds very good.

I also stream to my SMSL SU-9 DAC, into a an FX Audio Tube01 or Tube03. Without the pre, the soundstage stays between the speakers. Add the pre, and the stage expands beyond the speakers horizontally.

I have never tried those A25’s on one of these, but I had tried a pair of large Advents, and it was dull sounding. Same for my KEF Coda III’s. Any Klipsch I have tried sound punchy and detailed. Also have a pair of Ohm E2’s, and they work well with the A10.

Seems like speakers are kind of a crapshoot for me with this amp. I never know till I try them.
 
I also stream to my SMSL SU-9 DAC, into a an FX Audio Tube01 or Tube03. Without the pre, the soundstage stays between the speakers. Add the pre, and the stage expands beyond the speakers horizontally.

I have never tried those A25’s on one of these, but I had tried a pair of large Advents, and it was dull sounding. Same for my KEF Coda III’s. Any Klipsch I have tried sound punchy and detailed. Also have a pair of Ohm E2’s, and they work well with the A10.

Seems like speakers are kind of a crapshoot for me with this amp. I never know till I try them.

I have a couple of preamps (out of rotation), one with 12AX7 tubes, I will give that a try with the A10.

Thanks. Snade
 
I'm super impressed with the look and build quality of the Reisong A10 amp.

But I'm not thrilled with the SQ with my Dynaco A25 speakers (lately I like experimenting with lower-powered amps and vintage speakers).

I understand the A10 is a low-powered tube amp, but I have heard Dynaco A25 speakers with tubes before and the SQ was very good.

My listening room is small (10' x 11') and I only need moderate volume.

Actually the loudness of this setup is fine, but the SQ is only average (to my ear) - there is a lack of detail (it sounds a bit blah).

I've thought of two things to change / experiment:

1. The A25s are 8ohm speakers, but I could try connecting them to the 4ohm connections in back (just to experiment).

2. Change out the preamp tubes (via an adaptor) to some 12Ax7 tubes I have in the house (Mullards and Ruby HG)​

Any other thoughts? Thanks

Snade
Try the Voskhod Rocket 6N2P-EV/EB. They are only about $19 shipped, matched pair. Viva Tubes on Ebay or direct. Other sources also. If you like them, you could forgo getting the adapters.
For me they were quiet and detailed with my ADS or Canton speakers. I have adapters I have not yet tried with Chinese 12AX7 I have.
I'm using Tungsol EL34s.
Of course, no guarantee you will also like them. A lot of variables.
 
Last edited:
I'm super impressed with the look and build quality of the Reisong A10 amp.

But I'm not thrilled with the SQ with my Dynaco A25 speakers (lately I like experimenting with lower-powered amps and vintage speakers).

I understand the A10 is a low-powered tube amp, but I have heard Dynaco A25 speakers with tubes before and the SQ was very good.
Snade

My Dynaco A25 are fairly power hungry for vintage speakers. I like to push them with 30 plus solid state watts. They produce sound with my low watt amps but they aren't a good match in my experience.
 
But I'm not thrilled with the SQ with my Dynaco A25 speakers (lately I like experimenting with lower-powered amps and vintage speakers).

I understand the A10 is a low-powered tube amp, but I have heard Dynaco A25 speakers with tubes before and the SQ was very good.

My listening room is small (10' x 11') and I only need moderate volume.

Actually the loudness of this setup is fine, but the SQ is only average (to my ear) - there is a lack of detail (it sounds a bit blah).

I've thought of two things to change / experiment:

1. The A25s are 8ohm speakers, but I could try connecting them to the 4ohm connections in back (just to experiment).

2. Change out the preamp tubes (via an adaptor) to some 12Ax7 tubes I have in the house (Mullards and Ruby HG)​
​
As with any setup, it really comes down to synergy between any particular amp and speaker combo (as well as other factors, of course).

The Dynaco A25s are considered to be very tube amp friendly because their impedance curve is relatively consistent and doesn't drop drastically at certain frequencies. As a result, there shouldn't be any advantage to running them on the 4 ohm taps. That trick is more useful on speakers whose impedance is more variable.

However, using 8 ohm speakers on a 4 ohm tap effectively doubles the primary impedance of the output transformer. And since this is an inexpensive Chinese amp, who knows what the primary impedance is. It may be less than optimal for the output tubes and doubling the impedance may be an improvement. You won't damage anything by trying it.

You say you've heard A25s with tubes before and the SQ was very good. Are you referring to these particular A25s or a different pair? It's possible they could benefit by having the crossover caps replaced.

They can certainly work well with lower powered tube amps, though. I'm currently powering a pair with a PP 6N6G amp that I built (a modded Magnavox 6V6 console amp) and it only has ~10 wpc, which is probably only a bit more than the A10.

I've mostly used them with vintage PP 6BQ5 amps (~15 wpc) and never felt they really needed more power, but I don't listen at high volume either, so YMMV.

I don't have an A10 but it seems that almost everyone says that replacing the stock tubes is an improvement.
 
Finally got around to ordering new tubes. Went with the recommendations on previous page and went with the gold lion kt77’s and a gz34 I’m still liking the tungsol el34’s, I’m curious how the kt77’s will compare. I noticed the stock rectifier is turning brown at the bottom, not sure if that means anything.
 
​
As with any setup, it really comes down to synergy between any particular amp and speaker combo (as well as other factors, of course).

The Dynaco A25s are considered to be very tube amp friendly because their impedance curve is relatively consistent and doesn't drop drastically at certain frequencies. As a result, there shouldn't be any advantage to running them on the 4 ohm taps. That trick is more useful on speakers whose impedance is more variable.

However, using 8 ohm speakers on a 4 ohm tap effectively doubles the primary impedance of the output transformer. And since this is an inexpensive Chinese amp, who knows what the primary impedance is. It may be less than optimal for the output tubes and doubling the impedance may be an improvement. You won't damage anything by trying it.

You say you've heard A25s with tubes before and the SQ was very good. Are you referring to these particular A25s or a different pair? It's possible they could benefit by having the crossover caps replaced.

They can certainly work well with lower powered tube amps, though. I'm currently powering a pair with a PP 6N6G amp that I built (a modded Magnavox 6V6 console amp) and it only has ~10 wpc, which is probably only a bit more than the A10.

I've mostly used them with vintage PP 6BQ5 amps (~15 wpc) and never felt they really needed more power, but I don't listen at high volume either, so YMMV.

I don't have an A10 but it seems that almost everyone says that replacing the stock tubes is an improvement.

RE: Dynaco A25 speakers with the Reisong A10.

I switched from the 8 ohm taps to the 4 ohm taps and that was a no go, as expected. The SQ remained thin.

Per other suggestions on this thread, I then added a tube preamp. The preamp is Chinese-made and uses four 12AX7 tubes and a conrad johnson-ish circuit design. This preamp has a reasonable amount of gain.

The results with the preamp plus the Reisong A10 are substantial - substantially better. Much better dynamics and more depth to the SQ. Good detail but also that warmth you seek with tubes and plenty of volume in my smallish listening space.

I'm happy with this setup at the moment. Lately my interest is experimenting with relative low-cost and lower-powered amps and vintage bookshelf speakers.

Cheers,

Snade
 
Last edited:
I had some Ruby 12AX7 tubes in the house (bought over a year ago at Dougs Tubes) so I found two adaptors on Ebay and put the Ruby tubes into action with the Reisong A10.

So far I really like the sound.

Cheers,

Snade

20210502_135210.jpg Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 2.03.31 PM.png
 
Back
Top Bottom