• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

One Way Aisles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I wonder what Einstein came up with that one? I understand the reason why they have chosen to do this in certain stores but it serves no real purpose other then to piss folks off.

The reason is to reduce exposure to others shopping AKA less crowded aisles but since the aisles are not 6 feet wide or wider it makes no sense because you have to travel down two aisles to get to the one you want which exposes you to potentially more people so it is self defeating since you have to travel down two aisles.

I hope that no one decides to stop me from traveling the wrong way down one of these because if an employee does I will ask for the manager and when he arrives welcome him to a face full of bear spray for being an idiot!!

I have my hopes this can stay non political but no Covid-19 related thread has survived yet
 
Register to hide this ad
I hope that no one decides to stop me from traveling the wrong way down one of these because if an employee does I will ask for the manager and when he arrives welcome him to a face full of bear spray for being an idiot!!

Well, FWIW, unless it's a privately owned store, odds are the manager has nothing to do with the decision; he's just doing the bidding of his superiors.

I can't speak from first hand experiences as I'm off on leave due to being over 60, but from what I read online all these actions, masks, social distancing, and one way aisles, are being implemented because patrons aren't doing as asked to slow the spread of COVID-19. It appears that the vast majority of patrons are compliant, as they either see the restrictions as prudent and reasonable, or perhaps they understand those in the store are just doing as they have been directed and have no say or input into the decision making process.

The bottom line here is the old chestnut: Don't shoot the messenger....
 
I hate going shopping to start with it is bad enough that most folks do not have common sense nor common courtsey they will stand in groups and take up the entire aisle for minutes at a time then get upset if you ask them kindly to get the f@@k out of the way, but you also have the stores attempting to cram 25 lbs of crap in a 5 lb bag in other words putting up displays in every available square inch so it is impossible for two carts to pass by each other.

But now you have stores expecting people to travel one way down an aisle? it matters not unless you plan on waiting on every single person in front of you to move ahead before you can proceed if you attempt to pass them since the aisles is no where near 6 foot wide you are violating the 6 foot rule anyways if you go past them headed the same direction. Sorry but I am not waiting on Grandma to decide which flavor of soup is cheapest when what I want is clear down at the other end of the aisle it could take an hour just to progress down one aisle at that rate if there are 3-4 ahead of you but God forbid you decide to turn around and go the way you came because now you are going the wrong way you cant win!!
 
Last edited:
it is annoying
its also annoying to follow the arrows and end up behind some one who has to handle 10 pks of meat to pick one
and to wait while some fuddy duddy has to decide what butter to buy and then have to call home to ask meanwhile holding up the aisle
 
it is annoying
its also annoying to follow the arrows and end up behind some one who has to handle 10 pks of meat to pick one
and to wait while some fuddy duddy has to decide what butter to buy and then have to call home to ask meanwhile holding up the aisle
I encountered one of those last week the fellow must have spent at least 5 minutes looking at each and every package some of them twice before deciding he did not want any of them, meanwhile myself and a line of others waited as patiently as possible. I never dreamed I would some day turn into a grumpy old bastage but here I am. I think my tolerance level for idiocy has dropped 20 points on a scale of 25 since this Covid-19 crap began. Perhaps I should take a few hits off the peace pipe before I enter a retail store but then I would be breaking the law driving home.

I cant wait for the stores to resume 24 hour shopping so I can shop in a near empty store again :D
 
they did it at the giants innpa., but stopped last week. I did it but passed people and didn't care if someone went the "wrong" way.....I'm not turning in a citizen, neighbor, fellow human being...
 
Yes, I think the strategy is to get to the store before business picks up. I have been changing where I shop as a result of this. My wife is high risk, so I can't take any chances. Walmart is a terrifying place to shop in. There was a young man with I suspect autism that kept moving up to me within 2 feet. I'm trying to shop where the shoppers are being careful as well as the staff. The way I see it, there is less risk in those places.

Even better, shop online if you can. I noticed that my favourite coffee roaster now has subscriptions. So I subscribed. I will now get 2 lbs of my favourite roast every two weeks with nothing for me to do. They even deliver it to my front step free. The businesses that are going to do well, or at least hopefully stay afloat are the ones that are changing how they do things in ways that the shopper will be most comfortable with. Curb side pickup, delivery options, etc.

There is no way I am going to take a bus or a train these days, and forget about planes! At least not until it is a lot safer.

The biggest problem is that we still don't fully understand how it spreads, and this far in, that is frightening.
 
We were talking about this the other day. Ironically, the biggest issues seem to be in the big grocery stores, not the smaller shops that are closed. I generally don't shop much since I work at Costco, but when I do they generally have fewer shoppers and not nearly as crowded as the "racetrack" (the 2 main aisles) at work where I regularily have to weave and dodge folks, especially on the Foods side. I would think one could easily social distance in many mall stores, and even quite a few fast food restaurants w/o much effort. I mean when was the last time you were jammed in a book, clothing, or housewares store???

Bars and sporting event look to the the biggest challenge to me
 
Y'all can shoot this messenger if you like, but I go whatever way is convenient. I'm now on a cane, although I prop with the basket in the store. I had one young lady employee try to get sassy with me, so I politely told her when you felt like I do, you go whatever way is the most convenient.
 
Y'all can shoot this messenger if you like, but I go whatever way is convenient. I'm now on a cane, although I prop with the basket in the store. I had one young lady employee try to get sassy with me, so I politely told her when you felt like I do, you go whatever way is the most convenient.
It's not that I ignore the signs, it's just that I really don't hardly notice them... and, wink wink, never seen it bother anybody, or they did didn't show it. It's almost like there is an unstated understanding about it. I mean... really now...
 
Y'all can shoot this messenger if you like, but I go whatever way is convenient. I'm now on a cane, although I prop with the basket in the store. I had one young lady employee try to get sassy with me, so I politely told her when you felt like I do, you go whatever way is the most convenient.

Guess old makes someone special :dunno:. And many here complain about the young people :confused:
CAFC6A2F-02E2-4D2B-A10A-11F1FA0FCCA2.jpeg

Edit: just realized its not even an age thing, just entitled I guess.
 
Last edited:
We were talking about this the other day. Ironically, the biggest issues seem to be in the big grocery stores, not the smaller shops that are closed. I generally don't shop much since I work at Costco, but when I do they generally have fewer shoppers and not nearly as crowded as the "racetrack" (the 2 main aisles) at work where I regularily have to weave and dodge folks, especially on the Foods side. I would think one could easily social distance in many mall stores, and even quite a few fast food restaurants w/o much effort. I mean when was the last time you were jammed in a book, clothing, or housewares store???

Bars and sporting event look to the the biggest challenge to me
Sadly there are no small stores here unless you count the specialty Asian stores. We have Safeway Fred Meyer Costco and Walmart. There used to be but they either got bought out by one of the big brand stores or simply could not compete. Safeway is likely the worst for making it difficult to distance they constantly are narrowing any available space by putting in anything they can fit to aggravate us shoppers and the only store doing the one way aisles, the area where shoppers have to stand in line is almost impossible to self distance there is virtually no room to even go past someone else let alone stay 6 feet away and everyone looks miserable and uncomfortable.

They also do not require masks. I spotted 3 younger kids in their 20's one of the girls was coughing and hacking loudly without covering her mouth freely spreading her germs to anyone within likely 20 feet of her I turned my cart around and went the other direction SCREW the one direction!! Not a chance in hell I was going to walk through that cloud of possible death particles. None of them looked concerned about her doing this.
 
Last edited:
First world problem.

I follow the rules. What harm can it do?
I follow the rules if they make sense to do so but when the rules are more likely to cause me harm by following them I refuse to, by forcing me to walk down an entire aisle to get an item without being able to turn around exposes myself to far more people, not to mention something like the story in the post above this where the young lady was coughing and hacking up a storm directly ahead of me. Would you go home and kill yourself if you seen a sign in the store telling you to do so?
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom