• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Open Baffle Epiphany!

^^^

Thanks for the links.

Slot loaded OB subs using these four AE IB15's I have has been in a holding pattern for too damn long!

Now that sounds very interesting. Do it! No chance of implementing Les Hudson's distortion canceling PPSL driver orientation though with those huge baskets/motors!
 
Just getting into OB here....What I have is a 10" Ratshack twincone 40-1296A that I put into a cardboard box 15X15 with open back.

Sounds good!!

It is true there is something magical with these!!! :banana::banana:

I want to get into more advanced and better designs! :music:

What other drivers can I look for that will work this way?

This one was just a fluke I rescued from the junk guy's truck, it works perfectly and looks brand new! But only one :sigh:

:banana::banana:
 
These 12" Zenith speakers commonly found in consoles are surprising in OB's.


1_7b104639c96b51c360fb5f66d0fe5753.jpg
 
Open baffle speakers are less room dependent than box speakers.

:scratch2:
I have 2 8ohm 12" full range Tone Tubby Hemp cone guitar amplifier speakers, run at 30 watts will these work?
Also say I have some old two or three way speakers can I mount them to a board and use the same crossovers?
 
Open baffle speakers are less room dependent than box speakers.

My Infinity RS-II's (full dipole mids and tweeters) sound surprisingly good in the corner (see my avatar), much much better than e.g. traditional coffin style RS-IIIa's. Now, when I move the RS-II's to the middle of the room, with at least 3 ft room in the back and several feet on the sides, the soundstage, imaging are just fantastic :music:

IMO, the OB setup works surprisingly well even in the corner since one gets proper reflections from the back wall and corners, creating this illusion of 3D sound filling the room.

In any case, great thread that convinced me sometime ago to get the RS-II's, and there is no going back... :thmbsp:
 
So I asks again can you pull the speakers and crossovers out of a cabinet and wire them into a baffle board arrangement with the same crossovers? :scratch2:
 
So I asks again can you pull the speakers and crossovers out of a cabinet and wire them into a baffle board arrangement with the same crossovers? :scratch2:

You can do that, but they will not perform well. If you are expecting acceptable performance, then the answer is a definitive no.
 
Fine as long as you didn't expect bass or had some DSP based EQ to make up for the rolloff.
 
Last edited:
Thought you need a lot of room behind them? At least that's what I read on that Linkwitz web.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk 2

I think Linkwitz recommends 1 to 1.5 meters for best results.

Fine as long as you didn't expect bass or had some DSP based EQ to make up for the rolloff.

In the OB line array build I've started I've found this to be true with the generic 6.5" drivers I'm using. With input from my MiniDSP they perform surprisingly well down to about 50Hz, although I have them crossed at 70-3kHz. My old 15" woofers are used in a DB set-up augmenting the bottom end from 20Hz to 70Hz.
 
Back
Top Bottom