• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Open Baffle Epiphany!

Been listening to these for almost a month so I guess I better post them to the official OB thread. :)

Here is my first OB project, with many thanks to Poultrygeist for all his help and guidance.

The drivers are University 6201's mounted in JE Labs quarter wave OB's. Did these in MDF that we already had.

I am currently driving them with CazTech SE-845 amps. Front end is Dual Mono Quicksilver Audio Line Stages, Quicksilver Audio Phono Stage, Micro-Seiki RX-1500/ET-II arm/DL-103/Quicksilver MC Transformer.

The music that I have been enjoying through this combo is beautifully balanced and involving. Could use low end augmentation, subs or EQ, but nothing that gets in the way of my enjoyment.

I am already putting together the parts list for my next project: dual 15" woofers on each side with an 8" FR - just need to decide which woofers and FR drivers. Emminence or ? for the woofers? Lowthers or Tang Band or ? for the FR drivers? Already have Heathkit tube electronic crossovers or a Dahlquist DQ-LP1 to biamp. SET for the FR. not sure for the woofers - Yamaha B-2? Maybe pick up a Crown pro amp?

This could get really addictive, really fast. :)


Pics attached.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
IMHO, a huge waste of a wonderful B-2 as a woofer driver. One of the finest solid-state amps out there should be used full-range. On the other hand, it is your gear.
 
This could get really addictive, really fast. :)

Yes...yes it can!

I've played with a couple models of the Lowthers and both of the 8" TB's along with a number of other drivers. Unless you want to use some sort of eq or high level traps on the Lowthers, then if staying simple I'd sure suggest the TB's.

Give them about a 20" width to work with and get 'em up to ear height. Running just a single, you'd probably want to cross around 125-150 or so at the lowest instead of the 100 or down that I've done with multiples.

More folks need to climb outta the box!! Come on... :music:

EV3
 
Yes...yes it can!

I've played with a couple models of the Lowthers and both of the 8" TB's along with a number of other drivers. Unless you want to use some sort of eq or high level traps on the Lowthers, then if staying simple I'd sure suggest the TB's.

Give them about a 20" width to work with and get 'em up to ear height. Running just a single, you'd probably want to cross around 125-150 or so at the lowest instead of the 100 or down that I've done with multiples.

More folks need to climb outta the box!! Come on... :music:

EV3

I found just the opposite to be the case with my DX3 vs the W8-1808 used in OB.
 
I've tried the DX-3's in this OB configuration. This is about the same dimensions overall as the JE Labs, but opened out a bit differently.



The lifelike, quick presentation of Lowther's is pretty great, but the peakiness can drive you crazy trying to keep the life, yet flatten it out. And I'm not big on trying to worry about every little wart, just the shout can drove you to try to smooth it somehow. A high level trap for the around 3k peak helps some but just isn't enough for me. The rising overall response worked for me much better in a big horn configuration.

But either the 1880 or the 1772 Tang Bands run in several different ways, I've never felt any need at all to add anything to. Maybe right out of the box they could be a little top heavy. I've played with both and while they can't match the Lowther transient life, they also are just wonderful to listen to long haul. I think they're a giant bargain!



This is a little test baffle I made that gets me to about 250hz with the 1772.

EV3
 
IMHO, a huge waste of a wonderful B-2 as a woofer driver. One of the finest solid-state amps out there should be used full-range. On the other hand, it is your gear.

Leaning toward grabbing a Crown or QSC pro amp for the low end.

I am picking up the Snell Type A speakers that my hi-fi partner in crime is finally cutting loose and the B-2 will end up driving them instead. :)
 
Here's a link to a youtube showing Altecs in the JE Labs OB's.

I upset another AK'er when I suggested he try his beloved but boxed Altecs in OB.

You'd thought I'd committed heresy to suggest such a thing and he still holds it
against me. :sigh:

Oh well, even on youtube these sound scrumptious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r077mtt1S2c

So this could be a longer term experement but.....

I have a pair of Altec 604's in Karlson enclosures. Never have warmed up to them as a full range enclosure.

Have been thinking about pulling the 604's and mounting them in a JE Labs OB and getting an appropriate pair of 15" woofers to run in the Karlsons as subs.

Any thoughts on this potential path? Benefits or downsides of using Karlsons as a sub vs OB bass?
 
I've tried the DX-3's in this OB configuration. This is about the same dimensions overall as the JE Labs, but opened out a bit differently.

The lifelike, quick presentation of Lowther's is pretty great, but the peakiness can drive you crazy trying to keep the life, yet flatten it out. And I'm not big on trying to worry about every little wart, just the shout can drove you to try to smooth it somehow. A high level trap for the around 3k peak helps some but just isn't enough for me. The rising overall response worked for me much better in a big horn configuration.

But either the 1880 or the 1772 Tang Bands run in several different ways, I've never felt any need at all to add anything to. Maybe right out of the box they could be a little top heavy. I've played with both and while they can't match the Lowther transient life, they also are just wonderful to listen to long haul. I think they're a giant bargain!

This is a little test baffle I made that gets me to about 250hz with the 1772.

EV3

I use cotton stuffed between the back side of the whizzer cone and the speaker cone. Seems to smooth everything out and keeps the dynamics and 'life' in place. This is with my PM2a drivers in Medallion cabs.

Am going to pick up either a pair of Lowther C or DX drivers or the Tang Bands to use in the new OBs. The TB's would certainly be more cost effective.
 
Last edited:
<snip>
More folks need to climb outta the box!! Come on... :music:

EV3

Some additional one liners (in addition to Poultrygeist's "Have you hugged your OB's today?"):

1. Get your speakers out of the box and into the open.

2. Don't box your speakers in.

3. Real speakers don't need boxes.

4. Boxes.....we don't need no stinking boxes. (with apologies to 'Treasure of the Sierra Madre' and 'Blazing Saddles')

We could have all kinds of fun with this. :lmao: :lmao:
 
Do any of the designers of the Lowthers and TBs suggest ir recommend the OB proposition?

And are there any FR drivers that were designed specifically for the OB?

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk 2
 
And are there any FR drivers that were designed specifically for the OB?

The Tang Band 1808's are specifically for OB. Very similar drivers to the TB 1770 otherwise.

EV3

PS...don't mean to sound like I don't like the Lowthers either or would push someone away that wants them. Just feel that there is a difference that may require addressing that someone would want to know going in. The different models of the Lowthers are different. Yes, have done the cotton ball trick too. But if you've done or been exposed to that, you know full well the situation.
 
I tried the Tang Band W8-1808 in these large folding wing baffles and while the mids/highs were nice they were short on bass.

No matter the OB baffle size or shape the TB's like the Lowthers need bass support.

P2270031.jpg
 
I tried the Tang Band W8-1808 in these large folding wing baffles and while the mids/highs were nice they were short on bass.

No matter the OB baffle size or shape the TB's like the Lowthers need bass support.

I know we would be getting pretty large size-wise but have you ever done a JE Labs style baffle in width but tall enough for two vertical 15" woofers with the Lowther or TB above that. Like the speaker on the left in your avatar but 2 to 3 times wider?
 
I liked the W8-1808's with the H-frame but compared to the DX3 they were definitely on the polite side. Very smooth but too refined for my tastes.

The DX3's OTOH are lit up, edger, crystalline clear, and micro detailed.

Lowther solved the infamous "shout" a few years ago when the went to the rolled edge whizzers.

5 minutes in with the Lowther DX3 and I knew I had to sell the TB's. My friend now has them on flat baffles with double Alphas and loves them.

P2090007.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom