• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Opinions on speakers needed

Treyfus84

Super Member
I think I've got it narrowed down to Pioneer HPM 100 -vs- JBL L100t. Please give honest opinions on both pros and cons. I mainly listen to classic/hardrock/metal. Thanks.
Trey
 
Register to hide this ad
I owned HPM 100s and JBL L100s at the same time and preferred the sound of the JBLs. Although I haven't heard the L100t, I've seen many posts indicating that they sound better than the L100s and none that said the opposite. So I'd guess that...

HPM 100 < JBL L100 < JBL L100t
 
I have a pair of "third generation HPMs" which are known as Pioneer DSS 5. They have a 10" dual voice coil woofer and Beryllium mids and tweets (I seem to recall). I listened to these side by side to my L100s, and took the L100s out of rotation. The DSS 5 are my daily drivers in the living space; other stuff in the cave.

Both the HPMs and L100s have been described (here) as fatiguing and that was my experience (with the L100). I like my DSS speakers. They were expensive when new and are not well known today (thus they can be a bargain). The DSS 5 is the bottom of the line (7, 9, 10). Both the HPMs and L100s are in demand and are very expensive.
 
Last edited:
I think they are close enough that it may come down to which one you can get a better deal on.

I've had L100, 4311B, and 4312 for years. Picked up a pair of HPM-100 a couple of weeks ago and gave them away for Christmas after a little cleaning up.
 
I can only comment on the HPM-100's since that what my dad owns and has owned since I was 8 (I'm now 41). They are a great set of speakers and have held up nicely. I would like to own a pair someday, just don't have the scratch right now. On average, I have seen them sell for around the $400 mark, but have seen them sell for much higher than that. I agree with donprice, it may just come down to what kind of deal you can get. I have never heard the JBL's, but they have a following that is similar to the HPM crowd. Good luck.
 
Both are generally overpriced and harsh-sounding speakers if you ask me, but I'd go with the JBL. L100t and L100 have very little in common, btw.
 
I owned HPM 100s and JBL L100s at the same time and preferred the sound of the JBLs. Although I haven't heard the L100t, I've seen many posts indicating that they sound better than the L100s and none that said the opposite. So I'd guess that...

HPM 100 < JBL L100 < JBL L100t


Yes, L100t are much better than L100's. I liked L100t's very much.
Never heard the HPM-100's though but had HPM-60. Didn't like them.
 
Well I went with the JBL's ....$200. Wow didn't realize how big these things are..they weigh a ton. Sound is great....amazing bass. Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll post pics later of my setup.
 
I concur, you made the right choice. I have had both and preferred the overall sound of the L100t's. I assume the woofer surrounds have been replaced? If not, they will need it. The 2214H is a great driver and worth repairing correctly.
 
Back
Top Bottom