• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ortofon cartridge opinions please

I'd looked at the $20 Digitracs before but hadn't purchased one, thinking it was risky, not knowing that the stylii would be compatible with my Ortofon carts. After reading this thread, I put down $40 for a pair, shipping included.

They arrived today. First test was trying both on my SL-Q5 p-mount linear tracker. One worked and one didn't, but the one that works sounds quite good. Its an interesting look, with the black cart on the black tonearm over the black record; without the red LED I couldn't tell where the arm was located.

The other one donated its stylus. Even with the tab snipped off, I couldn't get it to seat well on my old school Concorde 10 body. That's OK, I've got a NOS old school 20 stylus (no cut-away above the cantilever) that mates well with it.

The stylus didn't fit on my p-mount TM bodies either, but with a little more plastic removal from over the cantilever, one might be able to make it work.

Last up was the Super OM body, which I had been using with a recent 10 stylus. Well, not using much; I hadn't been happy with the sound when using it on my Technics SL-1700Mk2. The Digitrac 200 stylus fit the cartridge body well, and is a definite upgrade in performance. After just one side of The Real New Fall LP, formerly known as 'Country on the Click'. I'm sold.

So, for $40 shipped, I got a new stylus for my Super OM, a nice p-mount cartridge, two p-mount adaptors and mounting hardware. I'm not so sure about the needle brushes; the seem stiffer than the AT and Shure ones I own.

[Edit to add] turntableneedles.com has the Digitrac SE (super elliptical) stylus in stock.
 
Got my Digitrac yesterday, cartridge didn't work, stylus is fine. Now I gotta waith on my Ortofon 5 from Germany to get here. I wonder why these cartridges don't work?:scratch2:
 
My guess is that these are cartridges that were returned by dealers back to the distributor. I'm not sure how else the seller ended up with 500 of these carts, along with all the out-of-production AT carts they periodically have for sale, unless it was from a distributor.

Anyway, I can't complain. One of the two I bought works, and sounds great on my Technics SL-Q5 close-and-play.
 
IF I had bought this for a working cartridge I'd be mad, but I expected it not to work and just needed the stylus. Just curious.
 
I tried my Digitrac in a LM10 body & it was loose, but it fit my OM 10 body just fine. I tried checking the Digitrac body for continuity, came up with different values for the left side compared to the right. I may try it someday, but I'll bet the channel balance is off. I just wanted the stylus, anyway. I like the open end allowing sighting the cantilever from above!
 
sfox: What were your results for the resistance (DC)? If the deviation was somewhere around 1 to 3 %, that would be pretty normal... Oh, and when you measure, you'd best use the same polarity for both coils.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
I tried mine, had VERY low output out of both channels. Did not test it with a multi-meter as it's obvioulsy dead. Was curious as to why it was dead of what they did to kill it.
 
I don't remember the difference from L&R channel measurements, but it was way more than 3%! I don't like having to use a p-mount adaptor, so it wll likely never get used. The OM 10 stylus fits the Digitrac body just fine, BTW.
$20 for a nude elliptical can't be beat!
 
Got mine too! The cartridge works too but was a real SOB to remove from the packing, thought for sure I was going to bust it. Fits the OM5 body perfectly but the LM15 body loose and sounds pretty good.

Like you guys said the mounting is nude, is it really the same diamond as the OM20?
 
I’m surprised this Ortofon thread got this far. It is like saying “Saab” in a Chevy or Toyota store. OK, not an exact analogy, Saab is made in Sweden.

Information is scant. I suspect 200 NE styluses are probably facial variations of the high-compliance OMP-20 design. I figure it this way; we know Digitrac was made by Ortofon in Denmark, the nude-elliptical stylus fits the OM, Super OM & Arkiv carts, the specs are extremely similar and they sound right. It makes economic sense for a big manufacturer to adapt an existing and proven design. The smooth sounding combination has not harmed anything or hurt anyone’s ears. Why couldn’t they be OM 20 styluses? We may never know with absolute certainty if the combination is an exact match but they quack really good. I’ve been using mine for a year. They sound better then the 5E stylus and, dare I say it- I think the 200 NE sound better, fuller and sweeter sounding, then my Concorde 30. Obviously, I have no pride.

It looks like the fleaBay seller auction ended. That might be good; it gives those that took the opportunity to get bargain nude-elliptical styluses a chance to really evaluate their cartridge/stylus combination. Everyone that bought one took a safe risk. They got super styluses and lots of useable parts for $20. Some got the bonus of working cartridges. The seller comes back regularly; check in a week.

To me, the budget combination rocks; can’t beat the price/performance, the best bang for the buck. And do I dare say they sound as good as my V15 V or the M97-HE (Era IV.) Close, damn close. I liked the combination enough so I have three 200 NE styluses in reserve and they cost a lot less then one fair cartridge. What am I going to do with all the screwdrivers?

And, what do I know? I just listen to music.
 
Quest
I think quite a few will benefit from this recommendation of Yours. Good work.
Was there any specs included with the cart? I think I have seen the specs somewhere, but I can´t remember where. If I remember correctly the only difference was a little higher compliance than the OM20.
/gusten
 
Quite welcome, gusten. I hope many will enjoy the upgrade. It still looks ugly but it’s black and wouldn’t be noticed.

From the box, here are the specs. While lateral compliance is mentioned, there is nothing about vertical and we know they could be different. Although the specs say tracking weight is 1.25, I can get away with using 1 gram of tracking force but then my main tables use electronic damping, not popular today, so YMMV.

Oh, loose styluses tighten up quickly if we use a thin strip of Parafilm "M." Just FYI.
 

Attachments

  • Ort spec.gif
    Ort spec.gif
    47.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Ort mount.gif
    Ort mount.gif
    86.8 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom