• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ortofon Concorde Gold vs Nightclub

Register to hide this ad
Both of these have a "Special Elliptical" stylus with a major and minor radius, not spherical. Not certain exactly what "special" means, but Stanton/Pickering also used to make some elliptical styli for DJ use.

The difference in the specs between the two is the impedance, inductance, and output voltage.

Stylus type - Special Elliptical
Stylus tip radius - r/R 13/25 μm
 
Better at what? Is this for home listening, or are you a DJ? Which turntable?
Better at sound quality and wear of records. Ortofon claims that Gold has "the best possible sound quality available in a DJ cartridge" and Nightclub is "an absolute high-end cartridge", which is confusing. Also curious how these are seen from audiophile point of view.

edit: TT is 1200mk2.
 
Last edited:
Better at sound quality and wear of records. Ortofon claims that Gold has "the best possible sound quality available in a DJ cartridge" and Nightclub is "an absolute high-end cartridge", which is confusing. Also curious how these are seen from audiophile point of view.

edit: TT is 1200mk2.

From an audiophile point of view, they are DJ cartridges, perhaps very good sounding for DJ cartridges, but still DJ cartridges. They are not designed for audiophile use, and few here will have experience with these unless they DJ too.

Too much bling for me. I love the Black ProS - which I have and highly recommend with the OM30.

KAB sells these already assembled: https://www.kabusa.com/ortofon.htm#integrated
 
Would these stand dj use? Not scratching, just normal back cueing. Is there a point in that, say the dj wants to deliver better sound quality?
Also can OM30 and OM40 be fitted on other Concorde bodies for audiophile home use? I think I can get a blue (DJ S) body for cheap locally, then fit OM on it.

You probably need a DJ stylus for backcueing, both a stouter cantilever and a diamond profile less likely to cue-burn the records. The numbered OM styli are more for home use with no cuing. It is really easy to swap the stylus off the end of a Concorde body, so you could change the needle depending on what you are doing at the time. I doubt there would be an issue with the combination of a DJ S body and OM stylus; my guess is that one of the reasons KAB uses the PRO S bodies is that they are black like the OMs.
 
I can’t comment on either DJ model, but I’ve recently switched to a Concorde body with OM 20 stylus from KAB and I’m very happy with the results. I love the “plug’n’play” convenience of the design and its perfect pairing with my SL 1200MK2. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to a standard headshell/cartridge combo.
 
Back
Top Bottom