• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Peavey SP-1 speaker question

The OP had posted a pic in post #6, but it's been removed, i'll try to find another.

I can't copy the pic i've found, but it looks like the early horns might have been actual HR9040's painted black.

The CH-1 looks like a half scale version or the EV HR9040 (HR9040 is over a metre wide) and Peavey hired two engineers away from Electrovoice some time in the early mid 70'3 after Don Keele designed the HR9040. The CH-1 measures 28.5 W x 14.25H z 18D so it is a big horn about the same size as a HR6040. I am running my CH-1's with the long axis vertical so the new horizontal is 40 degrees and the tighter horizontal pattern seems to help the stage and image a fair bit over the standard orientation. Positioning the horn so the you have the centre exactly at ear level when seated is very important. The other thing is that the CH-1 is aligned so that the centre of the top plate lines up with the woofer top plate. This really makes everything snap into focus. Overall focus is easily equal or better than any of the electrostat's I ever ran over 25 years, stage and image are impressive. Best regards Moray James.
 
Last edited:
The CH-1 is a 90x40 bi radial horn which uses the 22a driver with an aluminum diaphragm with a one piece diaphragm/former assembly with a polyester surround. There is a new titanium diaphragm available for about 40 bucks shipping in each. The CH-1 was designed by a couple of ex Electrovoice engineers. These are not EV horns. Best regards Moray James.
 
The CH-1 is a 90x40 bi radial horn which uses the 22a driver with an aluminum diaphragm with a one piece diaphragm/former assembly with a polyester surround. There is a new titanium diaphragm available for about 40 bucks shipping in each. The CH-1 was designed by a couple of ex Electrovoice engineers. These are not EV horns. Best regards Moray James.
Well aware of the CH-1 and it's attributes, i think.

The CH-1 that i know is molded in 2 pieces and screwed together with the seam forming a horizontal plane thru the center of the horn. The horns in the OP's are a 1 piece molded design and mount differently. However, what i was seeing that looked like a flange that mounts flat against a baffle(like an HR) is in fact NOT what it appeared to be, those screws are actually in the lips of the horn mouth. So, you're right and i stand corrected, definitely not an HR of any kind. I can only view the pics in a google search result as they no longer exist at the primary host. Hopefully the OP will post them again.

The flare rates/profiles seem very similar if not the same.

Is there more than one version of the CH-1?
 
Last edited:
CH-1 Versions....

Yes you are right there are more versions. The latter versions are a heavy cast two section version which screws together these have the large notches in the front to screw the horn into the box. Then there is the type where the screws which hold the horn to the box are at right angles to the front lip of the horn and there are no notches. I have seen two part assembly and I have seen older versions which appear to be one part fiberglass made on a male mould. I have not handled any of the fiberglass versions. When you see pictures of them it is clear to see that they are not two part assemblies. My best guess is that there are at least three versions of the CH-1. The older version in the picture I have seen in split format and in one piece but I do not have any of those. I hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Moray/My%20Documents/peavey_ch_1_18345_prd1.htm most recent version which I have.
 

Attachments

  • Peavey CH-1 older style.jpg
    Peavey CH-1 older style.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 38
Yes you are right there are more versions. The latter versions are a heavy cast two section version which screws together these have the large notches in the front to screw the horn into the box. Then there is the type where the screws which hold the horn to the box are at right angles to the front lip of the horn and there are no notches. I have seen two part assembly and I have seen older versions which appear to be one part fiberglass made on a male mould. I have not handled any of the fiberglass versions. When you see pictures of them it is clear to see that they are not two part assemblies. My best guess is that there are at least three versions of the CH-1. The older version in the picture I have seen in split format and in one piece but I do not have any of those. I hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Moray/My%20Documents/peavey_ch_1_18345_prd1.htm most recent version which I have.
That looks like the OP's if i recall.

Many thanks for posting and solving the mystery, this explains much.:thmbsp:
 
Here's a picture of the speaker

IMAG0508.jpg
 
Didn't work out.

Tried to offer fixing them for about 50 a speaker and the owner was not interested at all. So they still hang where they are.
 
Back
Top Bottom