• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Picture from your listening spot right now!

Well, this is a “pictures from your listening spot” thread so if you happen to be sitting comfortably where you listen when you take the picture, so be it.

And I would add, it’s better than vanity close ups of the equipment. You should have some sense of the room as well as the equipment in it.
Just raise the camera above the toes. No further effort needed... :naughty:
 

Attachments

  • TWINS_Me.jpg
    TWINS_Me.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 5
I'm not "that kind" of toe guy. Having the feet showing, represents being in the listening position. Listening action shot.
Well, it is a listening action shot as my feet are resting on one of the subs, whilst comfortably seated.
Thanks for sharing your toe preference though. :rflmao:
 
Did some upgrading with room acoustics in the main system. Soundstaging is bigger and more 3d. Very satisfied!
Before and after pics.View attachment 3602248View attachment 3602252
How far apart are they? Looks like 15' at least! What's the distance to listening position? Makes it tough to see the meter movement from back there!

You mentioned how to set up sound panels, do you think there's a need to do anything when dealing with a vaulted ceiling? Mine is set up where the speakers are at the highest point and the ceiling slopes down towards the listening position. I don't think there's a reflection point along the ceiling at all, if they are placed far away from the side walls, does that diminish the need for side wall panels?

I had some Bose 901s that I wanted to set up on the back wall where the ceiling is lowest and hang them angled at the listening position and use the ceiling to act like a concert venue with the rooms shape concentrating and dispersing the sound but couldn't justify the work while using speakers I found to be so far off in balance. Surprisingly they were decent with bass tones but lacked everything else. I saw it as a way to take advantage of the rooms shape and have no floor space used by speakers. If I found the 901s to be better sounding, I'm sure I would have given it a try.
 
Last edited:
How far apart are they? Looks like 15' at least! What's the distance to listening position? Makes it tough to see the meter movement from back there!

You mentioned how to set up sound panels, do you think there's a need to do anything when dealing with a vaulted ceiling? Mine is set up where the speakers are at the highest point and the ceiling slopes down towards the listening position. I don't think there's a reflection point along the ceiling at all, if they are placed far away from the side walls, does that diminish the need for side wall panels?

I had some Bose 901s that I wanted to set up on the back wall where the ceiling is lowest and hang them angled at the listening position and use the ceiling to act like a concert venue with the rooms shape concentrating and dispersing the sound but couldn't justify the work while using speakers I found to be so far off in balance. Surprisingly they were decent with bass tones but lacked everything else. I saw it as a way to take advantage of the rooms shape and have no floor space used by speakers. If I found the 901s to be better sounding, I'm sure I would have given it a try.
They are 12' apart from center to center of the woofers and 4 1/2 feet from the front wall out into the room. They are about as far apart as feasible while still having a solid center imaging.
I'm setting around 13' from the speakers.
As far as a vaulted ceiling I couldn't really say what treatment or the best way to implement it.
The closer you sit to your speakers, "nearfield" the less room interactions will be noticed. I would still treat the first/second reflections just for peace of mind. Doesn't hurt. With your speakers situated at the high end of your ceiling sope and you at the short end, I would think the other way around would be better. Think of the room as if it were a megaphone and the speakers as your mouth so to speak.
 
Rythmik L12 finally came in this morning! Got it all dialed in and DIRAC recalibrated (correcting only from 12.5-200Hz). Fastest, cleanest, most invisible subwoofer I’ve ever listened to. Crossed in at 80Hz yet I can’t find it, even listening with my eyes open, I wouldn’t believe this thing was even working except I see that it is in my sweep graphs. Zero localization; the big drum in All Star Percussion Ensemble is still way the heck to the far, deep left stage beyond my left speaker. Extends flat all the way down to 12Hz in-room for me, just stunning!

IMG_0383.png


IMG_0384.png


IMG_0389.jpeg


-Ed
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0380.png
    IMG_0380.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Interestingly...or maybe not...I belong to a guitar-board that has a thread specifically for images of for-sale items, not by members mind, showing various images of feet in poorly cropped for-sale photos :p

I am not grossed out by the "feet" images, sort of verifies to me where the listening-position is. I like the ones with pets included even better!

As much as my cat Tux seems to enjoy banjo (bluegrass) prominent music, he doesn't sit with me when I am playing it at home :confused: But if we are traveling together anywhere in our car, banjo-music is literally the only thing that will keep him quiet :thumbsup: I can handle that ...but, I digress
 
They are 12' apart from center to center of the woofers and 4 1/2 feet from the front wall out into the room. They are about as far apart as feasible while still having a solid center imaging.
I'm setting around 13' from the speakers.
As far as a vaulted ceiling I couldn't really say what treatment or the best way to implement it.
The closer you sit to your speakers, "nearfield" the less room interactions will be noticed. I would still treat the first/second reflections just for peace of mind. Doesn't hurt. With your speakers situated at the high end of your ceiling sope and you at the short end, I would think the other way around would be better. Think of the room as if it were a megaphone and the speakers as your mouth so to speak.
Of course i figured that but after a fire and a remodel, my layout has vhanged dramatically where i cant work with the low area now due to it being kitchen and then sliding patio door taking upk that entire wall. Its now my rear wall.

I didnt even bother with a rug now i used to have carpet but its all tile now and with different speakers i cant say how it affected the sound. I'm still looking for 2 rta programs that will provide the same results! For years ive been using test programs with a calibrated mic and after at least 40 of them, ive yet to be able to confirm any one of them to be correct since none reproduce the same results as any others! So i font trust any of them, they all seem to have a flaw in them in certain areas of the test. I most certainly would never trust an AVR built in test system from my experience with them has lead me to think they're just a terrible gimmick that was used to sell crappy receivers.

I just did an upgrade to my computer that destroyed my OS completely, making it unusable and spent an entire night and day trying to fix it but ditched it for the old reliable windows 7 ultimate once again and reinstalled at least 20 different sound test programs and im getting started with testing after i attempt to set the bias on one of my amp channels thats running hot.

If i can find 2 programs that plot the same results, ill post it because im still thinking it would have to be a miracle if it was true. I van see exact repeatable results from each program but an overlay of plots looks like they were all different sets of speakers. So, in my eyes, none can be correct? Is see this with programs based of FFT more than old pink noise and an RTA meter. I also see huge differences when using a sound meter and setting each 1/3 octave band to a specific db and the outcome of that results in yet 1 more very different plot than the others.
 
Back
Top Bottom