• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer HPM 1500 Speakers ... w/ Gold Woofers

Register to hide this ad
Those drivers appear to be from the big Pioneer CS series. If you change the drivers, youmust call them something else. Sadly, they are no longer HPM-1500s :no:

Enjoy,
Rich P
 
Didnt pioneer label their woofers, on the bottom? kind of look like sonic woofers... but if you know what they are, i dont!
 
Yup, those famous CS series bronze drivers I'd recognize them anywhere. Nothing like taking a great speaker design and "upgrading" it with kabuki generation drivers..:tears:
 
Yeah, they're extremely compromised. They will need new woofers to make them sing properly. Worth around $70, not $700.
 
I can't believe someone would go to the trouble search for a used pair of CS 15"s in order to ruin perfectly 1500's :(
 
Maybe it wasn't a deliberate "upgrade'. Maybe one or both of the original woofers got destroyed (little kids, infuriated father's boots, whatever....) and someone did their best to find "real vintage Pioneer" replacement woofers of the same size, without knowing the degradation they were causing. Perhaps they discovered the effects afterwards, and that's why the speakers are for sale. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

Definitely no longer worth $700, but at a lower price it might be worth getting them, and seeking out GOOD replacements (JBLs, perhaps?) if not original ones [Not sure what it would take to find originals, but it wouldn't be easy.]
 
Scored for $100, needed refoam & midrange

Last year, I had the good fortune to score a very nice pair of Pioneer HPM 1500s for $100. They had been in storage for years and the elderly gentleman got tired of looking at them. Very nice condition, complete with the pedestal bases and the original smoked glass inlays for the top. Further inspection revealed the foam on the original woofers had all but disappeared and one of the midrange drivers was DOA. Had the woofers professionally refoamed and tracked down a good midrange driver. They are being driven by my Marantz 2275 (found in the garbage, I had it professionally recapped & aligned). For the last year, I have been in sonic heaven!
 
Maybe it wasn't a deliberate "upgrade'. Maybe one or both of the original woofers got destroyed (little kids, infuriated father's boots, whatever....) and someone did their best to find "real vintage Pioneer" replacement woofers of the same size, without knowing the degradation they were causing. Perhaps they discovered the effects afterwards, and that's why the speakers are for sale. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

I think your scenario is a likely one ... I had to refoam the woofers on mine.

Definitely no longer worth $700, but at a lower price it might be worth getting them, and seeking out GOOD replacements (JBLs, perhaps?) if not original ones [Not sure what it would take to find originals, but it wouldn't be easy.]

I see pieces of HPM 1500s on eBay fairly regularly ... I had to the grills for mine off eBay.
 
Back
Top Bottom