• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer SA-9500 : Troubleshooting Noise

Hi,

Been working on a BOM in a spreadsheet for the SA-9500 and several (10 to be exact) parts have 20+ weeks lead time. I spent some time looking for replacements.

If anyone is interested, or has the time; please review and let me know if these are good, or better alternative.

Rick
 

Attachments

Hi,

I now have all the parts for AWM-074 - Protection Board. I will not be able to start until 5/27 or shortly after. I have the SA-9500 apart and ready.

If you remember, my initial issue was a "pop" when turning off. There is also an issue with "bleeding" noise from other inputs. Should I be prepared to go further, or wait and see what repairs on AWM-074 accomplish. I would prefer to remedy all issues before re-assembly.

Rick
 
If you are referring to crosstalk of signal with more than one input being driven at the same time that may be 'normal'. Example: Signal being put into Aux, input select set to phono (with no vinyl playing), and a small signal (from Aux input) being heard at the output. Home audio units are not usually designed to 'kill' a non-selected input signal, the presumption is that only one signal will be coming in at a time. Some Receivers are designed to turn off the power (internally) to the tuner section so there will be no audio from the tuner when a different input is selected. Since this is not a Receiver that would not apply, the tuner input is a line level input, just like the Aux input.

Rebuilding the protection circuit will not help / affect crosstalk, but may resolve your pop.

EDIT: more info
 
Last edited:
I previously only informed @merlynski a week ago privately that I may have heart surgery. Thanks for your confidence until I knew more. There were too many unknowns and don't say things to get attention or draw away from topic for personal "stuff". I hesitated to now mention, but wanted to share the good news. I am fine and don't want to make a big issue.
All went well. Went in this morning and was home by 2pm.
Did everything through my wrist. No stents required. Only backwater vessels in my heart have some plaque. Will be controlled by medication and continuing my healthy diet and exercise. Dr. said my heart is strong otherwise.
Only downside it is my right wrist. I can start using it in a few days; but no sustained use for a week or so. Hope to start on the SA-9500 soon. I now have all the parts.

The main purpose is to inform why nothing has been done.
Rick
 
I just put a new thread on here about my "pop" or "Thump" fix at shut down... not sure how perfect it is, but it works for the unit that I have and the problem is that the newer transistors stay on longer because of increased efficiency and less power needed to run... so I installed a secondary circuit using an 8v light bulb on the diode that powers the relay to lag the relay at start up and pull power away quicker at shut down... this seems to have worked quite well for both problems. Details in the thread.
 
Back
Top Bottom