• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer sx-1050 no voltage at output caps problem

The outputs are expensive parts to replace, and don't need to be in place until you are ready to actually adjust and test the power amp.
Some may think I overdo my documentation, but it helps me stay on track.
Ok I will definitely mark and remove the output transistors
 
@merlynski power supply awr-104 powered on with DBT
pin 2= .341v ac pin 4= .384v ac. Not good Im sure. Transformer bad maybe? I checked 10A fuse for continuity and all other fuses on awr-104 board. All had continuity.
 
Good morning fellas. Last night I took voltage readings of pins 2 and 4 on power supply board awr-104 and the readings were not good. Not even 1dc V on either. Does this mean my transformer is bad? Mine is the U.S model with the att-266 transformer. Anyone know if a att-290 multy voltage transformer will be a suitable replacement? Thanks guys
 
Unplug the unit from the wall/DBT. Set your meter on the Ohms range. turn on the power switch. Measure across the power plug for resistance. Should be a low resistance, more than 5Ω but not an open circuit.
If you have an open circuit measure resistance from pin 4 to pin 5 of the Surge Killer PCB AWX-098. On later models Pioneer used a different board AWX-108, but it does the same job, same pins. Should measure about 3.3Ω or slightly more.

This is the AWX-098:
upload_2021-12-3_10-11-25.jpeg

This is the AWX-108:
upload_2021-12-3_10-16-9.jpeg

It is next to one of the big main filter caps.
If it is open between pins 4 and 5 measure resistance across the thermal fuse, it should be 0Ω. If it is open you have a bad fuse. Replacements are available.
 
Unplug the unit from the wall/DBT. Set your meter on the Ohms range. turn on the power switch. Measure across the power plug for resistance. Should be a low resistance, more than 5Ω but not an open circuit.
If you have an open circuit measure resistance from pin 4 to pin 5 of the Surge Killer PCB AWX-098. On later models Pioneer used a different board AWX-108, but it does the same job, same pins. Should measure about 3.3Ω or slightly more.

This is the AWX-098:
View attachment 2411206

This is the AWX-108:
View attachment 2411209

It is next to one of the big main filter caps.
If it is open between pins 4 and 5 measure resistance across the thermal fuse, it should be 0Ω. If it is open you have a bad fuse. Replacements are available.
Ok will test as you instructed this evening when I get home. Thanks for the guidance, I do appreciate it
 
@merlynski Hi, here are my readings
Power plug unplugged & switched On = 4.5ohms
PCB AWX-098 pin 4 to pin 5= 3.4ohms
Thermal fuse= 1.793ohms after it stabilizes. Hope this helps. Thanks, Ben
 
@rcs16 Good morning. I read in a thread about a sx1250 needing a transformer and you mentioned the option of a att-291 the multy volt transformer was a option for him. Now if my transformer is indeed bad can I use the att-290 multy voltage transformer as a replacement for my U.S version transformer on my pioneer sx-1050? I see one listed and just want to keep my options open in case my transformer is indeed bad. Thanks rcs16, Ben
 
@merlynski Hi, here are my readings
Power plug unplugged & switched On = 4.5ohms
PCB AWX-098 pin 4 to pin 5= 3.4ohms
Thermal fuse= 1.793ohms after it stabilizes. Hope this helps. Thanks, Ben
The Primary side of your transformer appears to be good.
Still unplugged, measure resistance from pin 2 to pin 4 on the AWR-104 Power supply PCB. Then measure resistance from each of those pins to the chassis ground.
 
@merlynski I went ahead and marked and removed all the output transistors. Should I put the heatsink back on the chassis and plug in the connectors or just leave it out? Thanks
 
Pin 2 to Pin 4= 3.413 m ohm
Is that m mean Meg ohms? What range is your meter set to?

Verify the white wire from the transformer is connected to the star ground strap.

WhiteWireDSCF1074.jpg


DSCF0902small.jpg


Pioneer SX-1050-KCU Receiver AWR-104areajpg.jpg



With the transistors removed there is no reason to reconnect/reinstall the heatsink at this time.
 
That says the main secondary winding for the transformer is open. Disconnect the red wires from the pins, or unsolder the red wire pins from the AWR-104 and measure resistance again just to confirm. There is something odd here. I would have expected an open in the winding to still have a connection from one side or the other to the (white) centertap.

Transformers are usually pretty tough, and can handle short term overloads quite well. Has this one ever been overheated that you know of?
 
That says the main secondary winding for the transformer is open. Disconnect the red wires from the pins, or unsolder the red wire pins from the AWR-104 and measure resistance again just to confirm. There is something odd here. I would have expected an open in the winding to still have a connection from one side or the other to the (white) centertap.

Transformers are usually pretty tough, and can handle short term overloads quite well. Has this one ever been overheated that you know of?
I have no knowledge of this receivers past history, I just purchased it on the bay site and contacted the seller that it was not as described at all. Got half refund back. I will go and remove red wires from pins and take measurements again. Thanks again, I will give you update in a lil bit
 
That says the main secondary winding for the transformer is open. Disconnect the red wires from the pins, or unsolder the red wire pins from the AWR-104 and measure resistance again just to confirm. There is something odd here. I would have expected an open in the winding to still have a connection from one side or the other to the (white) centertap.

Transformers are usually pretty tough, and can handle short term overloads quite well. Has this one ever been overheated that you know of?
Ok pin 2 and pin 4 wires removed from awr-104 pcb. Red from transformer to red from transformer = OL
Both red wires from pin 2 and pin 4 remain disconnected from pcb board for all the readings taken.
Pin 2 red wire to chassis ground = OL
Pin 4 red wire to chassis ground = OL
Ok now red wires still disconnect from pcb board I took some readings of pins 2 and 4 again. Pin 2 to chassis ground = 1.345m ohm Pin 4 to chassis ground = 1.425m ohm
 
Back
Top Bottom