• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer sx-1050 no voltage at output caps problem

You have a bad transformer.
For future reference a small m is the abbreviation for milli as in millivolts or milliohms, mV, capitol M is the abbreviation for Meg as in Megohms or Megavolts, MΩ.
 
You have a bad transformer.
For future reference a small m is the abbreviation for milli as in millivolts or milliohms, mV, capitol M is the abbreviation for Meg as in Megohms or Megavolts, MΩ.
Ok thanks for the M and m information, I do like learning new things. Now I have searched for a replacement transformer and cant find a att-266 transformer. There is one listed that is the att-290 multy voltage transformer. Any idea if that would ne a suitable replacement for mine? Thanks for all your help, I do greatly appreciate all the time and knowledge you have put into helping me with this issue.
 
transformer must have broken right on the centre tap .. might be a chance of repairing it if isnt totally gone and the wire is not buried deep .
Would I have to remove the transformer from receiver chassis and wiring completely to take a look to see if anything is noticeable visibly?
 
it would mean some dismantling of the transformer so yes best removed ..things like this you can't really make it any worse than it is right now .
 
The difference between the 120v transformer and the multivoltage transformer is on the primary side. You could easily wire a multivolrage transformer up as a single voltage transformer and cap off the unused leads. Converting it to an actual multivoltage unit would be much more difficult.
Snce you are a Subscriber you can post a Want-to-Buy in the Barter Town Parts area, somebody must have one, somewhere.
 
@merlynski about the multy voltage transformer I already put at WTB att-266 pioneer transformer on barter town earlier today after you told me my transformer was bad. I might just have to go with that other transformer if I can't find one here. I wouldn't mind having to cut abd tuck in a few of the extra wires used for the multy voltage controller. I just want this thing to operate as it should. Thanks for the valuable info, Ben
 
It would be much easier to do if the wire colors on the primary side were known, rather than having to figure it out. Since the User Manual shows a 120V position on the fuse/plug I have no doubt it could be made to work.
 
It would be much easier to do if the wire colors on the primary side were known, rather than having to figure it out. Since the User Manual shows a 120V position on the fuse/plug I have no doubt it could be made to work.
I think I might have to go for multi voltage one listed then before it is gone.
 
@merlynski I was looking online for a transformer and saw this one wich is a multy voltage unit. I took screenshot of what they wrote down as far as secondary voltages with 117v input. Do these voltages look like they will work with my unit? 20211204_200214.jpg
 
@merlynski I was looking online for a transformer and saw this one wich is a multy voltage unit. I took screenshot of what they wrote down as far as secondary voltages with 117v input. Do these voltages look like they will work with my unit? View attachment 2412808
It says it is an ATT-290, which is the Pioneer part number, and the secondary voltages are about what you would expect for a completely unloaded winding. But it does not tell how the primary side was connected to get those voltages. So it is probably? the right one, but leaves you with the same problem of figuring out how to hook up the input side. Can you post a link to that?
 
It says it is an ATT-290, which is the Pioneer part number, and the secondary voltages are about what you would expect for a completely unloaded winding. But it does not tell how the primary side was connected to get those voltages. So it is probably? the right one, but leaves you with the same problem of figuring out how to hook up the input side. Can you post a link to that?
I dont know how to do that. It is oaktreevintage.com they sell used parts online
 
You can post a link by copying the URL from your browser and pasting it into the post you are making.
However, that was enough info for me to find it, it looks like the same one (part number) that is on the 'bay, just more money.
 
You can post a link by copying the URL from your browser and pasting it into the post you are making.
However, that was enough info for me to find it, it looks like the same one (part number) that is on the 'bay, just more money.
Yes same as one on the bay. I just wanted that little bit of info about the voltages to share with you. Thanks and im sure it is late wherever you are. I am in California. I am going to go ahead and purchase the one on the bay before its gone. I will keep looking for info on how to wire it for 120
The primary side may be configured the same or similar to the SX-1250 multi-voltage model.

View attachment 2412843
So looks like I can use the grey 120v lead and the white 0v leads to wire it to my U.S model 120v receiver. @merlynski does this help with the wiring? @LesE thanks for the diagram.
 
I got some possibly useful info from another reliable source:

One of the primaries has white wire (common) and a brown wire for the 120V supply plus a yellow wire for the 110V supply.

The other primary would have a black wire (common) and a gray wire for the 120V supply plus a red wire for the 110V supply.

If those are the colors present on the ATT-290 transformer, a quick continuity check should verify the connections.
 
I got some possibly useful info from another reliable source:

One of the primaries has white wire (common) and a brown wire for the 120V supply plus a yellow wire for the 110V supply.

The other primary would have a black wire (common) and a gray wire for the 120V supply plus a red wire for the 110V supply.

If those are the colors present on the ATT-290 transformer, a quick continuity check should verify the connections.
Screenshot_20211204-213238_eBay.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom