• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer SX-424

Sx-424

I recently took a trip to Dallas Texas and went to a few thrift stores and found a SX-424 for $10. I put it in my garage for a while and it sounded good. I ended up giving it to my son in law after his stereo died. It is hard to go wrong with any silver faced Pioneer.
 
got the spkr plugs online $15 wi shipping. ordered Sunday, recvd Wed.
hooked up Thurs night. wow! soon as I touched the knob it got loud.
I've had a Craig, an RCA, two Wards/Airline, and a Sherwood...this is probably the best receiver I've had! sweet
 
There were other lower-end receivers in the Pioneer product line in the US but they were branded Craig by Pioneer and included a line up of 8-track/cassette players for auto use plus compact stereo/All-in-One stereo systems favored by college students in small dorm rooms.

Pioneer also had it's Centrex line which was BOTL as well. I really think calling a SX-424 BOTL or low class isn't doing it justice as they were pretty nice receivers, although they weren't blessed with tons of features or with a lot of watts. I prefer to call them entry level. I think at that point all of their receivers had the same rock solid build quality with the stamped steel chassis.
 
"Introductory model" sounds lots better than BOTL. I loves my little $2 424...works sweetly with a pair of Minimus 7s.
Still kicking myself for not negotiating harder on a Centrex system at a garage sale...methinks the guts are similar to the 424/434 series. It had heavy speakers & the BSR was sportin' a M44. Just didn't want to pay the $20 asking price...and they wouldn't budge.
 
I never see those centrex things in the wild so I find them rather interesting. In other news I too have an introductory pioneer, an sx-440. It also has those kooky speaker terminals, I've been using spade conectors, not pretty but they work. I really should do something with it, poor thing just sits there neglected. :(
 
I have a near mint 424 driving the speakers in an old RCA tube console in my office. (One day I will rebuild the console). I keep CNBC audio on in my office all day long--I am a financial advisor. This setup starts a lot of conversations and sometimes leads to gear leads and/or purchases.
 
pix of unit, w/o cover, and alive (Stereo light works!)
 

Attachments

  • 100_1125.jpg
    100_1125.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 100_1126.jpg
    100_1126.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 100_1127.jpg
    100_1127.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 147
Still kicking myself for not negotiating harder on a Centrex system at a garage sale...methinks the guts are similar to the 424/434 series.

My father's Centrex AM/FM Cassette, Turntable system from 1976 had the "two part" volume like the 424 so it is possible they shared components (I do know it had a CT-F2121 cassette transport). Unlike the 424, the Centrex did not have a flywheel tuner and had RCA speaker connections. They were good systems, but I would not have paid $20 for it either, although I would pay $20 for a SX-424. See it's all about priorities. I'd rather have a flywheel tuner and non-RCA speaker hookups than a built in cassette deck and a turntable (well, it is a BSR after all).

I also had a Centrex from the same era with an 8-track recorder and no turntable which was a pretty decent unit. I know the 8-track sounded pretty good despite the format, especially when I recorded on them from CDs. It could also handle my Harman Kardon HK-40 speakers without a problem (which also had RCA speaker jacks--this was before I switched the crossovers).
 
I picked up one of these units at a thrift store yesterday for $15. Don't have a spare set of speakers to hook up to it at the moment, so I haven't turned it on yet, but as soon as I do, I'll post some pictures. It looks to be in fantastic shape.
 
I've a couple of SX-424's,great little receivers,found a near mint one once with it's original box/instructions.
 
Picked this Pioneer SX 434 up the other day, Cleaned it up ( Howard feed & wax with 0000 steel wool And Walnut stain) On the cabinet. Faceplate washed with a little soap and water, Deoxit the controls....Sounds sweet!! 15 WPC like the 424 without the speaker plugs:thmbsp: Gotta love these little power house receivers.
 

Attachments

  • goodwill 119.JPG
    goodwill 119.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 120
  • goodwill 120.JPG
    goodwill 120.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 111
  • goodwill 123.JPG
    goodwill 123.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 98
Korea

The only differences I 've seen on the 434 vs 424 were

1.) Screw downs for 434, funky plugs for the 424.
2.) BALANCE Control 434, Dual Volume control 424
3.) Different knobs.
4.) Internal differences on schematic.

Larry

434 = Korea
Now playing: Nice Schubert Sonata FLACS via Dynaco A-25's. Very pleasing.
 
Maybe the tail end of the series. my 434 was made in Japan. And I bought it new in April of 1975.
 
I think I'll keep an eye out for one of these jewels. Not sure why, but I really like 10 - 25 watt class receivers. Meanwhile, thanks for posting.
 
Kydog + Vintageboy have nice dark blue dial lighting, mine is more towards the turquoise blue green, must be a fix for that.
 
Might be as simple as new bulbs. I noted on my 737 that the bulbs were blackened internally, and the output was causing the Blue to be turquoise-ish. New bulbs and clean the backdrop, and nice blue color.

The bulbs in my 434 are originals, and the dial is still dark blue. I did clean them and the backdrop 4-5 years ago when I had it apart for the overhaul.

Larry
 
bump for a recent acquisition.

Just got a 424 - rescued from one of our old radio station office buildings that's about to be torn down. I believe it was the house radio, tied into the intercom.

Some judicious cleaning by our resident engineer/fix-it man (thanks Phil!) and it sounds like new. Picks out stations that the one it replaced could barely get out of the fuzz. All the bulbs were blown so he replaced them with working counterparts.

I'm Happy :)
 
Last edited:
Introduced in 1971
SX 424 12W
SX 525 17W
SX 626 20W
all use speaker plugs a couple of the knobs were plastic

Introduced in 1974
SX 434 15W
SX 535 20W
SX 636 25W
All chrome knobs

the classic silver face 50 series introduced in 1976
 
Have a chance to pick one up locally for $30.
Looks nice, but speakers only play in A+B configuration.

Any advice before I bite?
 
Back
Top Bottom