• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Plane Crashes Into Stands At Reno Air Races

Not better said WhiteSE. These are events. Once in a life time maybe.

I was on Fox comments section reading the crazies. Most were the condolences for the injured and dead. But the retorical venom's fangs posted by many blunted the condolences of this tragic event.

It makes me appreciative of the moderators on this a fine site, that a semblence of order in the universe is balanced.

That said, wow what a thing to happen to such a fine air race. The winner must have sad feelings.

My hat is lowered to my heart and flag at half staff tomorrow.
 
I've said this before, more than once, even though it's a very unpopular opinion...air shows should be absolutely outlawed. They place everyone's lives at risk for nothing more than entertainment. Every thrill seeker places his own life at risk, whether he's bungee jumping or running the bulls at Pamplona. That's different. This activity places every spectator's life at risk, even though none of them really think about it. Until it's too late.

Another pointless, senseless tragedy for everyone who was there.

It may be unpopular, but not with me. Everyday life may be filled with its share of dangers, hell it is, but for the most part those dangers are mitigated by necessity. I love aircraft, and I love to watch fancy flying, but not well enough to stand underneath a 60 + year old aircraft flying at (or past) the limits of both the airframe and the pilot.

This was a tragedy, but it was not an accident. A true accident is unavoidable, this was entirely avoidable.
 
Talked to my friend a few minutes ago -- he was scheduled to attend and crew on a biplane. He had just landed his biplane at one of the other Reno airports when the crash occurred. According to him, the rest of the event has been canceled -- although the family of the pilot who was killed did say the races should continue because that's what he would have wanted. A smart PR move to stop the event IMO.

Besides, the Feds will be dissecting the crash and don't need the distractions.
 
I doubt that the age of the pilot had anything to do with the crash. The initial reports seem to indicate some kind of control failure.

Let's face it. It's a dangerous sport with lots of power and speed and that's what makes it exciting.

Murray
 
This is why I don't attend car races or airshows. Too much of a risk.

Sending positive vibes to those affected by this tragedy.
 
Yeah, but you KNOW the risks, going to an airshow or car race.
Every time, I fire up my motorcycle, I KNOW the risks also.

Steve
 
Everyone has his or her level of "acceptable risk". I, for example, will not get on a motorcycle. They're dangerous, even if you ride yours safely. The danger is from other people and there is nothing you can do to mitigate the danger. There are so many safer ways to travel, but I would absolutely fight for the rights of other people to take the risk of riding a bike if they wish.
Airshows are the same. If I chose to go to one, or an air race for that matter, I would know and accept the risk. That's part of it. Skydiving is also risky. But the bottom line is that people choose their own level of risk, and I don't want to live anywhere that others make that decision for me. It's MINE.
 
Re-read this entire thread and marvel at all the incorrect information.

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

While I think I agree with your point which may be about speculating on precious little information, I just re-read the entire thread and there really isn't that much *incorrect* information. The little bits of information given minutes and hours after this happened were basically *real time* reports from the news. The biggest piece of mis-information seems to be the pilots age which originally reported as 80 is now being reported as 74.

Edit: FWIW, I try not to speculate at all with events like this because the news we get today is often reporting laymen's opinion to fill a void instead of facts and doing proper research.
 
Last edited:
Hey if we're recommending banning things...i say ban apartment buildings frat/sorority houses and the like. Regardless of "renters" insurance, you never know if you'll have awful apartment dwellers that accidentally set the place on fire and endanger them, you, your pets, and burn up all of your belongings.

I do have to agree that you should know what dangers or risks are involved with attending any event (even walking your dog at night). I don't agree with taking your kids to potentially really risky events, though.
 
.....as long as promoters can fill the stands at 30-40 bucks a throw, every dangerous event known to man shall continue....do people pay that kind of money hoping deep down to see a crash?....I think so.....
 
I'm hearing reports that he lost a trim-tab off of one of his elevators. That would make sense, he pulled up into the "mayday" maneuver, knowing his aircraft had a problem. I think by doing this he avoided the large section of grand-stand that he would have taken out had he stayed on course.

It's all speculation right now. Let the NTSB do their job, they usually get it right.
 
As I posted in the "Wheels, Wings, Etc" thread...it was only due to the skill, training and experience of Jimmy Leeward that this horrible crash wasn't even more horrific. At the speed & altitude he was flying at, a control failure (which appears to be the likely cause) gives mere seconds to do what needs to be done. Watching video, it appears that he pitched the plane sharply up, then rolled to the left (away from the crowd) before going straight in.

There are those who question how a 74 year old should be flying an air race. Ever had an FAA medical? It's a BIT more than pulse, BP and tap your knee with the little rubber hammer. The slightest doubt and you don't fly..period. A good example is the late father of a good friend. He recently passed away at 93. He was a pilot, and flew at least twice weekly until he reached 90. If you want your skills to stay sharp, you need to fly...often.
 
Jimmy Leeward was in excellent condition, age had nothing to do with this. At 74 years of age he could still probably kick half of our asses.
 
Everyone has his or her level of "acceptable risk". I, for example, will not get on a motorcycle. They're dangerous, even if you ride yours safely. The danger is from other people and there is nothing you can do to mitigate the danger. There are so many safer ways to travel, but I would absolutely fight for the rights of other people to take the risk of riding a bike if they wish.
Airshows are the same. If I chose to go to one, or an air race for that matter, I would know and accept the risk. That's part of it. Skydiving is also risky. But the bottom line is that people choose their own level of risk, and I don't want to live anywhere that others make that decision for me. It's MINE.

Nice post, that sums it up for me too.

I used to ride a motorcycle, don't anymore but that's my choice based on life changes. Been going to auto races for 35yrs too but go less frequently now and am more careful how I view them - again; my choice.
 
Every day someone slips and dies or is seriously injured while having a shower. What are we to do? Make it mandatory that you wear a safety harness while showering?

It has been shown that children who grow up these days having never experienced any risks in life are at a disadvantage to those who have.

It is not only impossible to take all the risks out of living, it is undesirable to try.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom