• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Poll: LED bulbs for use in home

Do you use LED bulbs throughout your home?

  • Hate them and do anything I can to avoid them

  • Don’t like them, but am sometimes forced to use them

  • Don’t have a preference for either one

  • Like them and almost always use LED whenever an incandescent bulb burns out

  • Love them and proactively replace incandescent bulbs everywhere I can


Results are only viewable after voting.

peterp1

Addicted Member
Note: this poll is about home lighting, not bulbs for illumination in amps/receivers/etc.

Please share your "love or hate" views about LED bulbs in your home
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi Peter, I am an early adopter of house LEDs and am very happy with the energy savings VS incandescent. I know the early ones had terrible looking light, but the modern ones have come a long way in producing a pretty darned close rendition of the kind of light incandescent bulbs do. The ones I really like are the WIFI bulbs that let you set the tone of the color, I find the setting called "Sunset" the closest to a traditional incandescent. I do of course have a pretty good hoarder's stash of all kinds of incandescent bulbs, but except for the light in the oven I'm all LED.

Oh, and as an added bonus, they will produce any color of light you choose along with a whole bunch of shades of white (yellowish orange, whatever you want).

image0 (43).jpegimage6.jpegimage7.jpegimage5.jpegimage3 (2).jpegimage2 (7).jpeg
 
I was an early adopter. It's a safer bulb to use in recessed lighting fixtures. Operating at lower temperature. Especially if near insulation. Best to have a space around fixtures, either way. They do need ventilation for longer life.

I have very early production Toshiba led flood light bulbs, I use for hours every day. They will not die. Recently made bulbs are often not so hearty.

I like the fact that house circuits gain more headroom. Could be 200 or more less watts draw on say a 15 Amp circuit. Less likely for a motor or heater to trip a breaker or worse. Many older houses weren't designed with all the modern electronic appliances in mind. Two or three rooms on a single 15 Amp circuit.

I'm not an electrician. Just my opinion.

OG
 
Last edited:
My problem with LED bulbs is that I feel we were lied to. They are supposed to last a lot longer than incandescent or fluorescent, but that is not my experience. I believe in the concept since I have LEDs in my stereo equipment that is still going after 40 years. I just think the cheap components being used are not doing the job. The savings on our utility bill is nice, just not sure if it is enough to offset the purchase price of the bulbs.
 
PS, I know the box mentions using it with a "voice assistant" like Alexa, but there is also an App on my Iphone that lets me use my phone to control them. I get a cute lil color wheel, that I slide to whatever color or brightness I desire.
 
My problem with LED bulbs is that I feel we were lied to. They are supposed to last a lot longer than incandescent or fluorescent, but that is not my experience. I believe in the concept since I have LEDs in my stereo equipment that is still going after 40 years. I just think the cheap components being used are not doing the job. The savings on our utility bill is nice, just not sure if it is enough to offset the purchase price of the bulbs.
Has not been my experience, but I also do not buy cheap generic bulbs. Started about 8 yrs ago and have only replaced 2 bulbs that I can think of.
 
I have dimmers on every light switch in the house so I'm using incandescent bulbs until I can't get them. Maybe by that time they will come up with an LED bulb that is
1) warm white
2 dimmable without requiring a new dimmer that works for LEDs

We had one of those Wyze bulbs that allows you to change colors via an app, but I think that's just over-complicating things.
 
You're halfway there, this is a thing, dimmable on old ckts maybe also.

The second pic of the lamp in post #5 shows that "incandescent looking" LED has actually come of age, and I find the phone App to be perfect for adjusting the brightness/color of whatever shade/hue I select.
 
Personally I could care less. I still haven't figured out if LED bulbs last long enough to make the extra cost worth it. Seems like the fail at roughly the same time as the old way.
 
even tho i have switched the over too quality led fixtures for the house,i like the led in my modern equipment,and incandescent in vintage.
i have switched some vintage to led with mixed results. replacing the original filter paper is a must when doable
 
Like the LED where details have to be inspected, the longevity of using them, and they don't heat up!

Don't like them for reading! The bright pure-white light is hard on the eyes. Mind you the "soft white" is better, but not as soft as the old-type bulb.

Q
 
Last edited:
I replaced the outside flood lights on the driveway with LED over 10 years ago and the same bulbs are still working every night from dusk to dawn since. The LEDs I have an issue with lifespan are the candelabra base from my entry way and and dinning tables. One batch from HomeDepot burnt out in a year, surprisingly I received a check from GE in the mail for the price I paid which was weird cause I never mentioned them burning out to anyone.

I cant stand the color of bulbs with 5000k and higher in my home, but they dont bug me at my workbench in the shop. I get my LED bulbs supercheap at thrift stores for the most part, Habitat for Humanity and Goodwill both usually have 4 pks and 8 pks for $1.99 but now I have backups to my backups because they last so long. Another gripe about LED is it is nearly impossible to find 200watt and 300 watt equivalent that I used in the garage.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom