• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Portable hands-free Tube Radio

Register to hide this ad
My dad said a friend had a portable radio back in the 1930's that they took down to the local swimming hole on a creek back in the woods. They hauled a couple of car batteries in to make it work for an hour or so.
 
Betcha the tube ain't connected and the 2 batteries power a PR2 bulb to light up where he is pruning.

I too would like to see the circuit.
 
I wonder how you can make a radio using only 1 tube?

Easily. Regen sets frequently have single tubes in them and are quite sensitive. You can make a reflex single tube, or even just a basic crystal set with a single stage vacuum tube amp to drive the headphones better. A regen or reflex set will get more use out of the tube since it provides for a lot more gain by cycling the signal back through the tube multiple times.
 
Another portable radio concept from the 1920's.

Here is another "portable radio" concept taken from the radio section of an old 1928 newspaper I have.

It is on the right side of my avatar, but did not come out too well there.

There MUST be batteries somewhere (backpack?).

The scary part about this I may have enough stuff around to build this!:yikes:

The antenna is a rubberized cloth stitched with wire (the "loincloth" item in the picture).

Mark T.:music:
 

Attachments

  • avt-pic.jpg
    avt-pic.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 24
The belt radio was the subject of a Book of Knowledge article from the BoK from the late '30s. I had a set as a kid and there were quite a number of interesting electrical and radio articles. It is where I learned to build my foxhole radio.
 
I guess he works at night out in the garden so the men in white coats can't see him......

...and to continue on the 'turtle-neck' theme....If blind people wear dark glasses, why don't deaf people wear ear defenders?..........
 
Brian thanks for mentioning the Book of Knowledge foxhole radio article. I've been researching soldier-built radios for a while now (mostly WWII vintage) and more than one ham has told me they have a WWI origin. Never was able to find an article but now I have a good lead! The trick now is getting my hands on a 30's Book of Knowledge set...
(another) Brian
 
My set was disposed of by my parents when they retired. I tried to find a set when my son was born but the later editions were more like a regular encyclopedia and hence an entirely different format and not as interesting. I finally gave up the chase. Good luck in locating a set as they were wonderful reading.
 
Back
Top Bottom